Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Choice - Looking for opinions

Slayer

10 members have voted

1. 1. Propeller Choice

• ACME 515
    • ACME 525
    • OJ XMP 3 Blade 13 x 11.5
    • OJ XMP 3 Blade 13 x 12

I have read many threads about this topic and find myself at a crossroad in terms of prop choice. Here are the specifics.

1. Boat: 1997 SSLX, monsoon 320 currently using the stock CVP 13 x 13 prop (I know the perils of this prop....don't beat me too hard on this one. :innocent: It was on the boat when I bought it)
  2. Primary use: Skiing with the obligitory tube session for the wife and non-skiing friends.
  3. Typical crew size: 3 - 4 when skiing including skier and upto 6 when using the dreaded tube.
  4. Course use: We do run the course with this boat on occasion however typically we use another boat on the lake for course use.
  5. Note: I have discussed this with both OJ and ACME and have received recommendations for the ACME 525 or the OJ XMP 3 Blade 13 x 11.5.

If there's more information needed to assist in my decision, I certainly would appreciate it. We don't use the boat much for cruising, we have a pontoon for that however there are occasional trips where we take the boat with us and there is some cruising associated with those trips. Maybe one or two a season, but typically it's used as a towboat.

Thanks in advance for helping me with the choice.

I have the '98 Sunsetter with the 330 HP Monsoon -- basically the same boat as you and I replaced the SS CVP prop last year after reading about the problems with the prop and noticing my WOT RPM was only 4500. My typical loadout is 2 adults, 2 kids and all the gear that goes with a day on the lake. I replaced the CVP with the ACME 525 and gained 300 RPM (which put me into the "acceptable" rpm range based on the specs in the manual) and about 1-2 mph on the top end. I went with the 3 blade ACME 525 because of the versatility. We tube, [slalom] ski and wakeboard and am very pleased with the result -- power and speed to spare for all use cases. Hope this helps.

Really you'd never know the difference between the two unless you buy them both and do a side-by-side. I think you should stick with the 11.5 pitch though. I voted OJ just because I think either will work very well and to even out the vote.

I have a smaller boat with less power and a 515, but only because it's what I found the best deal on. My rpms are a bit low but that could be a motor issue. Find the best deal, buy it, be happy, move on. :thumbup:

Edited by jk13
  • Like 1

Really you'd never know the difference between the two unless you buy them both and do a side-by-side. I think you should stick with the 11.5 pitch though. I voted OJ just because I think either will work very well and to even out the vote.

I have a smaller boat with less power and a 515, but only because it's what I found the best deal on. My rpms are a bit low but that could be a motor issue. Find the best deal, buy it, be happy, move on. :thumbup:

That's essentially the direction I'm headed. I found a hell of a deal on the OJ XMP and nearly pulled the trigger but wanted to poll the crew here.

Thanks.

Well.....I pulled the trigger on an OJ XMP 3 blade 13 x 11.5. A couple hours after I ordered it, the supplier sent an email stating that the prop was not in stock and they would send me an ACME 525 for the same price. I'm pretty happy with the CS I received and am looking forward to ditching the CVP SS prop! :yahoo:

When we sold our Skier I kept the OJ 310 (13 x 11.5) . I had the 310 machined to fit the larger shaft of the response. With only one outing the OJ seems to ski better that the Acme. We do have to change the Perfect Pass back ground settings witch is a PITA but there is very little RPM change between the two props. Wakes seem softer at 28 -34 mph / 15 off ?

Well.....I pulled the trigger on an OJ XMP 3 blade 13 x 11.5. A couple hours after I ordered it, the supplier sent an email stating that the prop was not in stock and they would send me an ACME 525 for the same price. I'm pretty happy with the CS I received and am looking forward to ditching the CVP SS prop! :yahoo:

Nice either prop will be a huge step... I'd keep the CVP for a backup for emergency needs.

Nice either prop will be a huge step... I'd keep the CVP for a backup for emergency needs.

My plan exactly. As soon as the prop gets here, the boat is going to its summer home on the hoist!!