Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone have this CIPA mirror bracket...

davemac

Anyone have on of these "horseshoe" brackets laying around that they want to be rid of? Please PM me if so. I'm just looking for the aluminum bar. The bar is flattened at the holes which are 8" on center.

TIA

post-5162-0-64559300-1332977435_thumb.jp

Tallredrider's got your back.

But it is gonna cost you...ONE MEEELIONN DOLLARS!

minimi.png

PM sent.

If someone else has one, please reply, as I would sort of like to keep it, but will part with it for the sake of another crew member if no one else can help a brother out.

Edited by TallRedRider

Hey TallRedRider...thanks so much for the generous offer, but please continue to keep and use yours as a grab bar.

I'm looking for one to modify...as part of a "project" necessary to accommodate one of the new PTMEdge mirrors. With the price of those mirrors, it is something I would want to take with me if I am ever to change boats. Thus, want to keep the current mounting bracket intact so as to be able to put the CIPA back on.

So....if anyone else has (perhaps added a tower, and) has a bracket that they are NOT wanting or using, please let me know.

No, I just want the aluminum bar shown in my original post....which is my existing bar with mounts to the center "walk thru windshield". I will attempt to explain.....I'm interested in the wider panoramic view of the PTMEdge mirror (although they are crazy pricey). I've talked to the mfg or distributor and apparently my boat is in the 10% that are a bit tricky to fit to. Good news is that it can be done w/ the cheapest of their mounts ($90, as opposed to the $200 ones)....the problem is that, by design, the "jaws" do not open enough to go over the bar. Thus you have to saw the bar in half and slide the mount on. I am told that installing the mount over the "cut" gives the mount adequate integrity. I'm a bit skeptical on that. My though was to cut the bar near the end, slide the mount on, then insert a smaller dowel (possibly machined) into to bar or weld it back together.

Here are some photos of my current setup...

post-5162-0-95072200-1333061901_thumb.jp

Edited by davemac

...and here are a couple pix the distributor gave me of their mirror mount...the first shows it attached to an aluminum bar similar to the one on my boat, which supposedly was cut in half under where the mount is...

post-5162-0-14549300-1333062111_thumb.jp

post-5162-0-74877500-1333062128_thumb.jp

Edited by davemac

why can't you unscrew the whole thing from the windshield and then use a clamp mount like the PTM one or the CIPA one in my picture?

(I'm trying really hard to give you one of those windshield mount CIPA mirror clamps for free... so all you'd need is the PTME mirror)

It'd really surprise me if they unilaterally invented a whole new mounting standard. It looks like the CIPA curved surface with a square in the middle to me. I guess PTM would sell more clamps that way though. You wanna give it a shot? I've got a whole "clamp to the windshield" assembly that's yours for the cost of postage.

And I'll bet a dollar it works.

Thanks for the offer, Shawn. I'd like to let this thread stew for a couple days. Maybe someone will chime in who has dealt with this already. If not, I'll take you up on your offer, assuming you think that windshield mount will secure to my "rounded" windshield frame, and support the 6"x20" mirror.

I updated post #11 with a pic of the backside of the mirror where the mount attaches. The Monster piece looks like it might work....only I don't have a tower on my boat to attach it to.

So I just removed a mirror like yours from my tower and put a cipa extreme in its place with the help of that monster adapter. If you cut your bracket in half, you could slide the two ends back into the fancy ptm mount or the more proletarian monster mount.

Of course I can't find a picture of the back of a CIPA extreme mirror anywhere, but it sure looks a lot like the back of the ptm. I could be wrong, it has happened before (ask my wife).

Hey TallRedRider...thanks so much for the generous offer, but please continue to keep and use yours as a grab bar.

I'm looking for one to modify...as part of a "project" necessary to accommodate one of the new PTMEdge mirrors. With the price of those mirrors, it is something I would want to take with me if I am ever to change boats. Thus, want to keep the current mounting bracket intact so as to be able to put the CIPA back on.

So....if anyone else has (perhaps added a tower, and) has a bracket that they are NOT wanting or using, please let me know.

I already took it off in preparation for selling it. I will see how it feels without it for a few trips. Especially if I don't wish for it, then I would be happy to send it to you. If I could just get to the lake now, I would be in fat city.

I e-mailed the ptm customer service guys, and here's what I got back:

As long as you have the standard ball shaped socket on the extreme bracket, our VR-140 series mirrors should work on your bracket. If you have any issues with this, please let us know.

So I've ordered up the PTM Edge mirrror. For a mount, S-Dawg was generous enough with his windshield mount CIPA extreme (thx). We'll give it a go....and report later (my boat still in storage for a couple weeks).

Dave ... let me know how it works out ... I am interested in that new mirror and have the exact same situation with my new TXi.

• 2 months later...

So I've ordered up the PTM Edge mirrror. For a mount, S-Dawg was generous enough with his windshield mount CIPA extreme (thx). We'll give it a go....and report later (my boat still in storage for a couple weeks).

update? with pics? i have just bought and am about to return a samson mirror because we run bimini up all the time, so it blocks the view of the samson - which is particularly bad at the "not quite planed out speeds" we pull the kids at. I prefer to ride with the center 'sheild open and that's where the CIPA is now.. anyone know where i can buy the screw into the windshield frame mounts for the U shaped mirror mount?

I do not know if this will help you or not? I have a windshield Cipa windshield mount mirror that was purchased at my Malibu dealer. It mounts just about anywhere on the windshied. It has 2 clamps, 1 on each side of the mirror. I also have a window in the middle of the windshield. This mirror went on either side of the window as well as in the middle. If this will do, it is yours for $75.00 plus shipping from So. Calif. I have a picture of it, but I do not know how to get the picture from my computer to you. [email protected], Steve

Anyone have on of these "horseshoe" brackets laying around that they want to be rid of? Please PM me if so. I'm just looking for the aluminum bar. The bar is flattened at the holes which are 8" on center.

TIA

Just an update to my earlier response. My mirror looks exactly like yours, except that at the ends of the bracket, where yours is flattened, mine has a thumb screw and a clamp that tightens the unit to the windshield. Hope this helps? [email protected] Steve.
  • 7 years later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but I need some help. I have a 2004 RLX and I want to use the stock mirror mounts on the windshield. I am missing the horse shoe mount part... can someone point me in the right direction on where to find one? I can get the cipa mirror from Amazon but I need that black horseshoe bracket. Thanks everyone. 

Having a similar problem sources part for this mount.  Anyone know where to find a knob for this windshield mount? Or know its dimensions. Knob post appears to be about 7/8 long. I cant seem to match the diameter of the knob or the thread pattern.  Tried a few solutions, but nothing seems to be a good fit.  Sourcing them has proved to be extremely difficult.  CIPA  customer service was no help.  to the extent it matters, 2012 TXi. 

On 6/22/2019 at 7:58 PM, ResponseLX2004 said:

Sorry to revive an old thread but I need some help. I have a 2004 RLX and I want to use the stock mirror mounts on the windshield. I am missing the horse shoe mount part... can someone point me in the right direction on where to find one? I can get the cipa mirror from Amazon but I need that black horseshoe bracket. Thanks everyone. 

I think I have one with the mirror somewhere. I'll send it to you if you pay the shipping. I will take a look tonight to confirm I still have it. shoot me a PM if you still need it.