Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

steering cable/rudder lubrication

foiler1

almost ready to put her back in. Can someone tell me if i should be lubing the rudder or steering cable? if so, where are the greese fittings?

Edit: it is a 2007 IRIDE direct drive

Edited by foiler1

You should have a greese fitting inside the hull for the rudder. Around the coller.

No greese on the steering cable, it's a teflon case and will not need lub.

Thanks six ball. how or where are the fittings inside the hull? can i reach from under the trap door where the transmission is or do i have to go in through the trunk?

If it is the same as mine, remove the floor panel that exposes transmission and exhaust. Look back at the rudder mechanism and you should see one or two zerk fittings. It helps greatly if you have a 12" or 18" extension hose on your grease gun.

If it is the same as mine, remove the floor panel that exposes transmission and exhaust. Look back at the rudder mechanism and you should see one or two zerk fittings. It helps greatly if you have a 12" or 18" extension hose on your grease gun.

Any particular type of grease?

Any particular type of grease?

I have no idea is this is correct (so please don't proceed until others chime in) but I've always just used the same grease I use on my trailer wheel bearings....which is the LubriMatic marine grease (blue container).

By the way....here is a picture of the rudder mechanism w/ zerks visible (credit goes out to Pistol Pete....as I borrowed this picture from a prior posting of his)

post-5162-0-87281600-1332975103_thumb.jp

Edited by davemac

You should have a greese fitting inside the hull for the rudder. Around the coller.

No greese on the steering cable, it's a teflon case and will not need lub.

There are grease fittings on the rudder box (inside the boat, and some boxes have two) Be very careful greasing this. Over greasing you can actually create stiff steering so if you lube it, give it a pump, if that.

The cable is all sealed and internally lubricated so if your steering is getting stuff 99.5% of the time the cable needs to be replaced.

-Paul

I have no idea is this is correct (so please don't proceed until others chime in) but I've always just used the same grease I use on my trailer wheel bearings....which is the LubriMatic marine grease (blue container).

By the way....here is a picture of the rudder mechanism w/ zerks visible (credit goes out to Pistol Pete....as I borrowed this picture from a prior posting of his)

Thanks Dave,

I didn't have time to post that pic. earlier but, I use the same wheel bearing, marine grease, in my rudder.

There are grease fittings on the rudder box (inside the boat, and some boxes have two) Be very careful greasing this. Over greasing you can actually create stiff steering so if you lube it, give it a pump, if that.

The cable is all sealed and internally lubricated so if your steering is getting stuff 99.5% of the time the cable needs to be replaced.

-Paul

1 pump should do and I recc. you have someone turning the wheel full lock to lock as you are slowing doing that 1 pump. (make sure gun is primed first)