Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Amp Advice

02-Scape

So, picked up a pair of SXT65 Exile tower speakers, need an amp to drive them. The suggested amp to go with these is the Exile sm400 - I can get one for about $250.00 - Is this a good match or can I get something better for that price?

Certainly bridging a 4-channel amplifier is the most efficient and cost-effective way to drive a single pair of 4-ohm tower speakers. Why? Because you are summing the total 2-ohm power of all four channels into only two channels.

If there is a chance that you will ever be adding a second pair of 4-ohm tower speakers then it might make sense to go to a larger two-channel amplifier. Once you add the second pair you will get a 30 to 60 percent premium in power over the two speaker power. Whereas a four-channel amplifier will only produce 60 to 75 percent of its total power potential into a four speaker arrangement.

David

I would go with the larger amp. If you do go with more speakers you are set and dont have to buy another. Thats my plan at least. I went with a Harpoon to power my towers just to be covered when someone blows me off the water and i have to add another pair of speakers.. :sw2:

That is why I bought the exiles, had that happen to me last summer, maybe the larger amp is in store?

I would say yes if you can swing it. Something else to consider is the 65's will not be as loud back behind the boat as the XM7's or Xm9's. If you are only surfing or skiing that might not be as much of a problem, but wakeboarding behind it you might not hear those 65's even if they have good power. Maybe someone will chime in that has one pair of them as to how far back you can hear them clearly.

Only need these when hanging out, we rarely blast the music when riding, main reason I got them was to overpower my friends Wetsounds speakers, now I'm torn about what amp to get - if he gets another pair I'm screwed !

I wanted the speakers to beef up the in-boat sound, I heard HLCD's are good for projecting the sound back but not so good for in boat sound, is this the case?

It is really hard to beat the the sound in the boat that you will get from those Exile Surf Speakers. I think you will be really happy with them.

It is a whole nother can of worms to start comparing which HLCD's sound good in the boat versus which one's sound better at the end of the rope.

So if you were going for in and around the boat "beefed up" sound - the you made a great choice and will be happy!

I wanted the speakers to beef up the in-boat sound, I heard HLCD's are good for projecting the sound back but not so good for in boat sound, is this the case?

I bought two pair of the SXT65Q's for this very reason. I wanted quality sound in and around the boat and for surfing, but don't need to hear it loud and clear at the end of my wakeboard rope and have everyone in the boat going deaf. Plus, IMHO, the HLCD's sound too harsh up close.

• 1 month later...

Just a plug for Exile speakers (SXT65Q) and amp (sm400.4), finally got the speakers and amp installed, I am blown away, these things are amazing, no distortion even at a full earsplitting volumne. They are very clean and crisp sounding. If you are looking to add some tower speakers I highly recommend these.

• Like 1