Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Items to keep onboard for troubleshooting '05 VLX?

My first full season with the '05 VLX, and I am compiling a list of items I want to keep onboard, for troubleshooting issues that arise on the water, or away from home. Specifically items that you had, or wish you had, in the event of a breakdown on the water. Here are a few I thought of, and additional feedback would be helpful:

Knowledge of part numbers or specific issues for an '05 VLX would be especially appreciated!

Spare Impeller

extra fuel filter

duct tape / hose clamps /zip ties

spare oil / v-drive oil /funnel

battery jumper

required fire extinguisher. (I carry 2)

tool kit

first aid kit

spare plugs

diver's mask

tsunami pump

extra fuses?

and... Bottle Opener... for when all else fails! :beer:

Thanks,

Dan

[email protected]

A knife (to go along with your diver's mask) for cutting a rope if it gets caught in your prop.

A circuit tester (one of those lightbulb on a wire deals)

spare ballast pump(s)

I just keep this on board and everything seems to work out.

Image029.jpg

Oh wait,

Did you think I keep that tool box on the boat?

No,

I meant the beer on top of the tool box.

Silly.

I just keep this on board and everything seems to work out.

Image029.jpg

Oh wait,

Did you think I keep that tool box on the boat?

No,

I meant the beer on top of the tool box.

Silly.

:plus1: just missing the other 11...lol

Put a string on your knife so you don't risk dropping it.

I would put a multi meter in rather than a test light.

I also carry a spare hull plug.

Cheers

Stewart

Good list you have going, would also consider...

Spare prop, I usually keep mine hidden in my vehicle out of sight. If I do a prop swap I am pulling the boat out of the water. LED flashlight is also nice to have on board.

Good list starting here. I do keep a breakdown kayak paddle (splits into two paddles), a knife, leatherman, led light and 2 hull plugs. A floating knife handle would be good to have. I had thought about a spare ballast pump, not only for emergency situations, but I am also concerned that someone might drop one in the lake while filling the fat sacs, and then we'd have no way to unfill the sacs. I have an extra prop, and take it with me on trips, but not on the river behind the house.

I also carry extra plugs to the fat sacs, as I lost one to the river on the first day I got the 750 v-drive locker sac. The hull plugs I ordered, after one time I pulled the center plug, it slipped out of my hand and slipped down under the gas tanks. I could barely reach it, and that almost ruined our weekend trip.

The thing I am most concerned with is the early and late season surfing, when there are no other boats out, if you have a mechanical problem. I had a scare once about 15 miles down river from the house in late November. No one out but us and the barges. The boat surged and sputtering for a couple minutes, then fine. No problems since then, but it got me concerned about having troubles when solo on the river.

You might want a spare V-belt and the requisite tools to change it (the alternator on my boat is held in place with a darned round-topped allen bolt with very little clearance between it and the exhaust hoses). Also, a can of PB Blaster, or some other lubricant to help loosen reluctant bolts, will come in handy. And, I never go anywhere without my impeller puller.

Edited by srab