Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 vs 06 vlx

Escondido

Escondido, I think you summed up the differences pretty well.

I'm a big Malibu fan, but if I wasn't in the market for a BU, I'ld be looking at Tige as well. They make a decent boat for the $$. One of my best friends has a 99 21 Riders Edition and it has been a very good boat for him.

I looked at the Tige at the Cincy Boat Show and did not think that the fit and finish were anywhere near the Malibu. I have never driven one, though.

I used to travel there for business but never lived there. I liked the translation (hidden but there I think it is referring to hidden valley) and started using it many years ago.

As for the Tige, I am looking for all around good boat. Good at 3-4 activities which is how I ended up with this comparison. I think the ski wake looks a little softer on the Tige but the wakeboard wake better on the VLX especially with the balast and wedge. Looks is all I have to go on right now, although the water temp down here probably looks like a hot tub to some of you. Given our skill level I think both will be just fine but the VLX has more upside potential as we progress. I was surprised but I thought the Tige handled a little better. Seemed like it was just a little tighter when driving.

When we finished our comparison, it came down to the Tige was more like a sports car and the VLX more like a muscle car. I thought the Tige got up a little quicker, felt tighter in the turns but lacked in comfort and options. We thought the seats were close to uncomfortable, the tower difficult to lower and finish was nice just not as good as the Malibu. On the other hand, the VLX was more like an american classic. Bigger, roomier more comfortable. But with that came a little sloppier handling and it was much louder. When it came down to it, I liked the malibu boat much better but I thought the Tige drove a little better. My wife thought it, 22ve, drove a lot better. The Malibu was 6" shorter and 4" narrower than the Tige but felt a whole lot bigger. Not sure how their boat is bigger but the seats are at least 3 inches narrower.

I know people like to slam the Tige but I thought it was a worthy competitor. I looked at the other big boys as well and thought the MC was just too pricey and the CC was the least comfortable of them all.

Keep in mind, I am coming from a 10 year old 18' I/O so there was nothing but upside for me. And boy is there.

There's a dB test out there that shows the VLX to be at least 4dB quieter than the closest competitior CC, Tige was 6 dB louder. Hmmmmmm? I don't know about louder.

That's why I was surprised. This was a subjective view though and maybe we had the radio up more in the other. Just my perception.

Edited by Escondido
I looked at the Tige at the Cincy Boat Show and did not think that the fit and finish were anywhere near the Malibu. I have never driven one, though.

Take a look at the new (March 2006) Wakeboarding Mag. They profile the wakes of the 2006 offerings, and do a pretty good job of it. Check out the Tige' wake...or lack there of. I have seen jonboats with better looking wakeboarding wakes. looking at the picture of the

And as Blast stated, the fit and finish just isn't there. Just my observation Biggrin.gif .

I know you have driven both, but have you boarded behing both and skied behind both. Which wake did you like the best?

This is probably one of the most important factors. I would not buy a boat without testing the wake.