Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 vs 06 vlx

Escondido

Test drove the VLX today and liked it. I have come across an '05 with just under 30 hrs that could save me a little money. They are asking 50K for it which seems a little high since it has very few options (nothing hanging from the illusion tower). I am trying to find out what the differences are between the two models other than the paint scheme. Also, how were the 05's priced vs this year. I think the starting point I am looking at is around 56K with no stereo/engine upgrades and the standard wedge for this year's vlx.

Any guess on what a fair price of an '05 with the low hours? If you use NADA the avg retail is in the low 40's which seems a little low. I was thinking $47-$48 would be fair.

If I order I would get my own color scheme, probably choose the diamond hull and get to see how it was broken in.

Of course having an extra 8K could buy a lot of toys.

One other question, is there any way to raise the Driver's seat, my wife needs it a few inches higher, the rim of the windshield is right at eye level on the bolster and she doesn't like being down in the seat behind the windshield. It could take some getting used too. Also didn't like the speedometer on the right side. That will take some getting used to as well.

Thanks

I can help you out a little more on pricing if you list the options it has. If it has very few options, then 50 is way too high. I would think mid/upper 40's at best.

Power wedge, throttle by wire and the dash I think are the biggest changes for 06.

This is what I have on the options. I had forgotten that it did have board racks.

MLS BALLAST SYSTEM, WEDGE, FIBERGLASS SWIM PLATFORM, PERFECT PASS, AM/FM CD STEREO, DEPTHFINDER, ILLUSION TOWER, BOARD RACK & SURFBOARD RACK, BIMINI TOP, DINETTE TABLE, BUILT-IN COOLER, DOCKING LIGHTS, DUAL BATTERIES W/ SWITCH, BOW FILLER CUSHION, BOLSTER SEAT, CUSTOM GRAPHICS. TANDEM AXLE TRAILER W/ BRAKES & SPARE, SWING AWAY TONGUE.

I think I read that the tower was spring loaded this year. How heavy is the '05, I will have to drop my tower every time I put it in the slip.

That is pretty close to what I got on my 05 +/- a couple things and I paid $51k. Looks like my boat didn't depreciate this year Yahoo.gif

Which engine does it have?

How much does new one with those options cost this year? I know prices have gone up just a little bit. I think if you can't get for 10-12% less than a new one, order a new one.

This is what I have on the options. I had forgotten that it did have board racks.

MLS BALLAST SYSTEM, WEDGE, FIBERGLASS SWIM PLATFORM, PERFECT PASS, AM/FM CD STEREO, DEPTHFINDER, ILLUSION TOWER, BOARD RACK & SURFBOARD RACK, BIMINI TOP, DINETTE TABLE, BUILT-IN COOLER, DOCKING LIGHTS, DUAL BATTERIES W/ SWITCH, BOW FILLER CUSHION, BOLSTER SEAT, CUSTOM GRAPHICS. TANDEM AXLE TRAILER W/ BRAKES & SPARE, SWING AWAY TONGUE.

I think I read that the tower was spring loaded this year. How heavy is the '05, I will have to drop my tower every time I put it in the slip.

Just on that one thing alone I'd wait for the '06. I'll be at the boat show again today & my dealer had a similarly loaded VLX that I'll check on the price.

O6 VLX, has upgraded carpet, cruise control, different vinyl, Illusion is standard and is very easy to lower, upgraded transmission from Hurth, oh and stainless cup holders.

I would go with an O6, especially if you could order it custom, there is so many more color options and accents.

I'll add my .02 here. I actually just went through this, and ending up buying a used 2005. The used boats I looked at typically retailed new for 61-62K, and I could get them for between 47-50. In my mind, that 10-12% savings was well worth it. Plus, to get a similarly equipped 2006 I was looking at about 64K (because I would just have to have that power wedget). I ended up buying a 05 VLX loaded with tower, racks, tower lights and speakers, 340 engine, and lots of other bells and whistles for $49K. I was happy with that given that I was getting a $64K quote from my dealer for the boat I wanted new.

I think there are a couple of keys here:

1. Let someone else take that 1st year depreciation

2. Remember that the biggest hit in deprectiation will be in the accessories...so you can buy a year old boat with lots more "toys" already on it for a reduced price

3. Make sure you buy a boat from somone who really takes care of it while they owned it. You can tell just by talking to people.

I hope that helps. As a new owner I'm not that knowledgable, but if there's anything I can give you any guidance on feel free to drop me a note.

Shane

Why not go for a brand new V-ride it will go for about $50k loaded up with lots of goodies

I looked at this option also. I actually ended up ranking my option as:

1. 2005 Wakesetter

2. 2006 vride

3. 2006 wakesetter

So I decided if Icould find a good 05 wakesetter for under 50 that I would go that route. I priced out a vride, pretty basic equipment, and it was 45k on boat show special. The biggest differences in my mind were the hull design, the lack of front ballast as an option, and just the general "comfort" factor of being a higher end model. But, if I couldn't find a decent price on an 05 wakesetter, that's what I would have gone for.

I was also slightly concerned with the resell on the vrides. I know others here have said that there will be no problem with resell on any V drive Malibu, and while I agree with that to an extent, there is certainly an attitude associated with the Wakesetter brand and a recognition that should make it easier to resell and result in less depreciation.

Again...this is all my opinion and I could totally be wrong!

Shane

You should be able to get a stripped VLX for around 50K. Just go without the high end DHS trailer, stereo, heater, wedge, and bimini. That's about 7K in options.

Just get the Monsoon, wedge plate, and most importantly bow ballast. Skip the extras and add them later as your budget allows. At least you'll be riding behind one sweet wake hull.

Power Wedge cannot be added after the fact, don't let that boat leave the factory without it.

How much better is the power wedge than the regular wedge on the VLX. I can't imagine that wake getting any better.

It allows you to shape the wake to your preference, but the big plus is with surfing. I didn't get it & now my husband is saying ITYS. Whistling.gif

I can kinda understand that surfing thing since the boat is moving very slow and the wedge was designed to originally be used at wakeboard speeds, but what if you don't surf? If you want to change wake shape at wake speeds you could just move weight around, right? Or just sack that thing out and spend more time in the air. For me, I could not understand how a $2000 power wedge would help my riding.

Any thoughts on the driver seat question? We demo'd the vlx and a tige 22ve on Saturday and my wife preferred, by a wide margin, driving the Tige. I think it was because the seat sat higher and she was more comfortable. With the bolster, she is right at the winshield level. She feels much more comfortable sitting up.

Can the seat be raised or what other options have people used?

Any thoughts on the driver seat question? We demo'd the vlx and a tige 22ve on Saturday and my wife preferred, by a wide margin, driving the Tige. I think it was because the seat sat higher and she was more comfortable. With the bolster, she is right at the winshield level. She feels much more comfortable sitting up.

Can the seat be raised or what other options have people used?

My wife had the same problem, so she doesn't use the bolster and looks through the windshield, besides the seat warmer is not in the bolster and she likes to keep that thing on, especially in the mornings. The shape of the Tige wake does not come close to that of a VLX; however, it is a good constructed boat and from what I hear good customer service.

If you are thinking of new still I would try to figure in the depreciation and resell effect of the power wedge vs. the standard. I talked to my dealer about an AVP package and for about $200 more than the power wedge and the depth finder I got a CD player, 4 speakers, and 3 remotes. I was trying to decide on the power wedge vs. the standard and he may of added the “AVP” package to sweeten the deal and make my decision easier. The standard wedge was about $1000 less than the power wedge, so there are a lot of options to think about. Be careful it is easy to bump your way up by adding little by little, but I think that it will be worth it in the long run. I am also planning on keeping my boat for a long time.

Good Luck

PS Escondido? Is that Escondido, CA? I lived there for a little while. Just wondering

Edited by ACE

I used to travel there for business but never lived there. I liked the translation (hidden but there I think it is referring to hidden valley) and started using it many years ago.

As for the Tige, I am looking for all around good boat. Good at 3-4 activities which is how I ended up with this comparison. I think the ski wake looks a little softer on the Tige but the wakeboard wake better on the VLX especially with the balast and wedge. Looks is all I have to go on right now, although the water temp down here probably looks like a hot tub to some of you. Given our skill level I think both will be just fine but the VLX has more upside potential as we progress. I was surprised but I thought the Tige handled a little better. Seemed like it was just a little tighter when driving.

When we finished our comparison, it came down to the Tige was more like a sports car and the VLX more like a muscle car. I thought the Tige got up a little quicker, felt tighter in the turns but lacked in comfort and options. We thought the seats were close to uncomfortable, the tower difficult to lower and finish was nice just not as good as the Malibu. On the other hand, the VLX was more like an american classic. Bigger, roomier more comfortable. But with that came a little sloppier handling and it was much louder. When it came down to it, I liked the malibu boat much better but I thought the Tige drove a little better. My wife thought it, 22ve, drove a lot better. The Malibu was 6" shorter and 4" narrower than the Tige but felt a whole lot bigger. Not sure how their boat is bigger but the seats are at least 3 inches narrower.

I know people like to slam the Tige but I thought it was a worthy competitor. I looked at the other big boys as well and thought the MC was just too pricey and the CC was the least comfortable of them all.

Keep in mind, I am coming from a 10 year old 18' I/O so there was nothing but upside for me. And boy is there.

I used to travel there for business but never lived there. I liked the translation (hidden but there I think it is referring to hidden valley) and started using it many years ago.

As for the Tige, I am looking for all around good boat. Good at 3-4 activities which is how I ended up with this comparison. I think the ski wake looks a little softer on the Tige but the wakeboard wake better on the VLX especially with the balast and wedge. Looks is all I have to go on right now, although the water temp down here probably looks like a hot tub to some of you. Given our skill level I think both will be just fine but the VLX has more upside potential as we progress. I was surprised but I thought the Tige handled a little better. Seemed like it was just a little tighter when driving.

When we finished our comparison, it came down to the Tige was more like a sports car and the VLX more like a muscle car. I thought the Tige got up a little quicker, felt tighter in the turns but lacked in comfort and options. We thought the seats were close to uncomfortable, the tower difficult to lower and finish was nice just not as good as the Malibu. On the other hand, the VLX was more like an american classic. Bigger, roomier more comfortable. But with that came a little sloppier handling and it was much louder. When it came down to it, I liked the malibu boat much better but I thought the Tige drove a little better. My wife thought it, 22ve, drove a lot better. The Malibu was 6" shorter and 4" narrower than the Tige but felt a whole lot bigger. Not sure how their boat is bigger but the seats are at least 3 inches narrower.

I know people like to slam the Tige but I thought it was a worthy competitor. I looked at the other big boys as well and thought the MC was just too pricey and the CC was the least comfortable of them all.

Keep in mind, I am coming from a 10 year old 18' I/O so there was nothing but upside for me. And boy is there.

There's a dB test out there that shows the VLX to be at least 4dB quieter than the closest competitior CC, Tige was 6 dB louder. Hmmmmmm? I don't know about louder.

PS Escondido? Is that Escondido, CA? I lived there for a little while. Just wondering

I lived in Escondido, not far from the Wild animal park and went to Hidden Valley middle school.

Escondido,

Get the 06 with all the options and the 383, why not? Tell your kids to start saving aluminum

cans if they want to go to college.

My local Malibu dealer told me recently they lose more sales to Tige than anyone else. He's never afraid when someone comes in who's also looking at Mastercraft, CC, etc. but when they're also looking at Tige, he knows he's in for it.

He said the local Tige dealer is a bunch of "really nice guys" which helps I'm sure.

Interesting though...

My local Malibu dealer told me recently they lose more sales to Tige than anyone else. He's never afraid when someone comes in who's also looking at Mastercraft, CC, etc. but when they're also looking at Tige, he knows he's in for it.

He said the local Tige dealer is a bunch of "really nice guys" which helps I'm sure.

Interesting though...

I can believe that. The Ski Dock guys are great and the service department is known to be top notch. Nothing against the CTWS crew.