Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu Wakesetter LSV Opinions

petefranc

Just looking for opinions on a 2001 Wakesetter LSV. I'm mainly concerned about the wake on this bigger model but feel free to post anything else that comes to mind. I would like to hear some feedback before I travel several states to test drive it. Thanks a lot !

If you click the resources section, click specifications, click 2001. From what I see for some reason it looks like that year the LSV was made with a diamond hull. If you're a wake boarder I would do a lot more research into that before jumping into it. The modern LSV's are all built with wake hulls by default now. Not sure what was up then but it would worry me.

Edit: You will notice in 2004 onward the wakesetter LSV actually started coming with wake hulls. You will notice that Malibu tends to relase the new wake hull on the LSV for a year, then moves the VLX to that hull. For instance in 2004 the wakesetter LSV had the v25wake hull and the vlx still had the older sv23wake hull. You will notice the next year they have the same hulls.

If it were me and I were primarily a wakeboarder I'd be looking at 2004 and later LSV's.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

from 80' back, I never have been able to tell the difference in the wake behind a wake or diamond hull. YMMV

But you will definitely be able to tell the difference driving the early hulls compared to the later hulls. In 2004 they added the Gorilla fins & engine & prop upgrades that made a huge improvement in how the boats drive.

I have no experience behind both hulls, only the wake hull. Looks like from bill's avatar he's into sky skiing which makes sense if he's talking about 80' back. To the OP if you do end up asking this question and you wakeboard you would be interested more in lengths from 65-75' The wake on the LSV is a bit wide and I'd be surprised if many riders run longer than 70' (unless they go really big on ballast and pretty fast on speed).

Not trying to discredit or anything, just throwing it out there. The diamond hull was always the hull that was used for ski boats so I always wanted to stay away from them because I wanted to throw a big wake. There may be truth to what Bill says that there isn't much noticeable difference, but I would certainly try to find someone who does your sport that's been behind both to verify.