Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-Drive Oil light is on

Hey everyone - this is my first post to the crew about my first boat. 2004 LSV

I know that there are several posts on this subject but I can't seem to find exactly what I need. My red V-drive oil light by the throttle is on and doesn't turn off at any RPM. I have checked the oil and what I think is the v-drive oil level and both are fine. I believe that there is also the transmission level to check but cannot find where the dipstick for that is, or maybe I am confusing the two.

Here is what I know:

1) Engine oil location is fairly obvious and is topped off.

2) Under the middle rear seat there is a dipstick that screws in, the dipstick is a reddish-orange color and there is a sticker saying to only use ATF. From reading on another thread I believe that this is the V-drive dipstick. I find that a little confusing because other threads say that the v-drive takes 30w oil...? so maybe that is wrong.

Where is the transmission dipstick? (Or if I have the two confused....where is the v-drive dipstick?)

Thanks!!

Hey everyone - this is my first post to the crew about my first boat. 2004 LSV

I know that there are several posts on this subject but I can't seem to find exactly what I need. My red V-drive oil light by the throttle is on and doesn't turn off at any RPM. I have checked the oil and what I think is the v-drive oil level and both are fine. I believe that there is also the transmission level to check but cannot find where the dipstick for that is, or maybe I am confusing the two.

Here is what I know:

1) Engine oil location is fairly obvious and is topped off.

2) Under the middle rear seat there is a dipstick that screws in, the dipstick is a reddish-orange color and there is a sticker saying to only use ATF. From reading on another thread I believe that this is the V-drive dipstick. I find that a little confusing because other threads say that the v-drive takes 30w oil...? so maybe that is wrong.

Where is the transmission dipstick? (Or if I have the two confused....where is the v-drive dipstick?)

Thanks!!

The red one is the transmission.

Depending on the V drive unit you have it could be another red one that threads out. Or a black one that just pushes and pulls out. My 01 had the black one that just pushes and pulls. I thought it was a vent until someone showed me.

The red one is the transmission.

Depending on the V drive unit you have it could be another red one that threads out. Or a black one that just pushes and pulls out. My 01 had the black one that just pushes and pulls. I thought it was a vent until someone showed me.

Thanks! Any tips on where to look for that one?

The one furthest north of your boat is your v-drive (ski-vee), the transmission is about a foot south of that. I have a VLX and that's how it is on mine. When you check it, make sure you run your boat for about 10 min. to give the oil to heat up (oil expands when it is heated), then unscrew your dip stick, wipe off, and stick back in...DON"T screw, and check your level. Hope that helps.

Now with your light being on...don't know. Take to dealer and see if they can pull up code. Idk how the LSV is, but on the VLX you can check the code through the LCD then google it.

Thanks! Any tips on where to look for that one?

If you have a Walter's V drive it will be just under the rear middle seat. It will be the black push/pull type and should be right on top. I had the same issue on my '02 Wakesetter 23LSV, I added oil and the light went off. I do notice the light comes on at low RPM but I believe that too be normal. 30W is what you should use in the Walters V drive unit.

Thanks everyone, I finally found it and I think I found the problem, nothing is showing on the dipstick!! The boat is not on the water right now, I will put some oil in and take some with me to the lake next time so that I can run it and fill 'er up. For the v-drive do you just use a funnel to pour it into the dipstick hole? Or is there an easier way? Also, just double checking - just regular 30W oil right?

Someone else should know, but first you need to determine if you have a Walter's v-drive or a Ski Vee unit (I don't recall what year Malibu started using Ski Vee). If it is a Walter sv-drive, it takes engine oil. I think the ski vee takes ATF, but someone else can confirm that.

As for the light, under normal operation the light should be on while at idle and then go off when you reach about 1200 RPM. The light is a low oil pressure light and it is normal (and okay) to have low pressure at idle, but around 1200 RPM, enough pressure should build in the vdrive to force the light to turn off. The oil pressure switch has been known to go bad and is easy to replace. Mine went bad and once I replaced it, my light functioned properly.

I've attached a picture of my vdrive (which is a Walters unit). The dipstick just pulls out as others have stated (it isn't threaded). It is the "knob" in the upper right of the vdrive in the attached photo. I just use a funnel to add oil through the dipstick hole.

If you need to replace your pressure switch, it is also on the right side of the unit (in my photo) and should be the only part on the vdrive that has electrical wiring going to it. You can get the switch from Bakes or SkiDim.

post-13120-0-87028000-1332898149_thumb.j

Edited by hethj7

Oh, and disreagard the mess of wiring under there. The previous owner didn't do a clean job installing the ballast pump and wiring, but hey, it works, and I've yet to make time to clean it up.

Thanks everyone. I will fill it up the rest of the way this weekend at the lake and then if the light still doesn't turn off will change out the sensor next. Thanks hethj7 for the pic!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, mine has the Walters. This is a new to me boat and the previous owner didn't have the manuals so I had to dig around and look for pictures of each unit but finally figured out which was which.

• 1 year later...

Is this something you change completely every year. I am tackling the year end winterization and service myself and the manual says "Change" but wondering if it needs that annually? Same goes for the transmission fluid. Do I change it annually too?