Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

86 Skier budget build - gelcoat blistering/ruptured

joeroberts37

New to the site, and new to malibu boats. Converting over from MC and Supra... Found a decent boat and wondering what options I have. I'm basically the $1000 car buyer. Use it for what its worth, then sell and start over.

Current project that I picked up has some significant gelcoat blistering below the water line. The boat was moored for the majority of its life in fresh water during summer months. Numerous blisters have popped/peeled. The boat is solid mechanically, cosmetically it has been used, but not terrible. Options for repairing? I am not going to do a complete restoration on the hull this season, or probably ever. I have access to suspend the boat and complete work. But would be limited to only suspending during weekends and working on the boat during weekends.

I can complete the work myself. I know it is highly frowned upon, but was leaning towards repairing gelcoat blisters (epoxy resin etc.) and painting bottom of boat with anti-fouling paint? This could most likely be done within 2-3 weekends. Estimate cost in the $400-500 range. A complete hull restoration/repaint etc. could run up to $3,000-5,000+(more than price of the boat) and take weeks. I also do not live in a area that would specialize in this work. I just don't believe that this is right boat to venture down that path. Better candidates out there. Looking for a correct fix that can give 2-3 more quality years out of the boat. From what I've read, once you paint the bottom with antifouling paint, you cant go back? My buddy has a newer Tige that the hull is two/toned white/black and looks sharp. Couldn't I pinstripe the waterline similar to a car to transition?

I will post pics this weekend...

Thoughts?

-Joe

For the age of the boat and it's current worth, I think you'll be fine to repair the blisters and bottom paint it. The main reason nobody bottom paints their hull is because it kills the resale value. If you aren't worried about that than it shouldn't be an issue. If done right, you can leave it in the water and not worry about blisters any more.

Thanks. Those were my thoughts as well. There is a 'floor' price to all inboard ski boats. If I'm OK with selling at 'floor' price, then do what it takes to make the boat functionally/mechanically solid and go... More time on the water than in the garage.

Do you have any 1st hand knowledge of the 3M Blister repair product? My plan was to use WEST Systems epoxy resin with colloidal silica as a filler. I've done some fiberglass work in the past and have supplies left over. Found it interesting to review Don Casey's article on Blister Repair...

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/03.htm

Similar advice/process was given for when I was modifying an old kawi jetski.

I saw some one else do same thing your talking a bout Joe they had to paint every yr but the boat wasn't worth what it would have cost to fix it unless your going for a full restore .... I was looking at a similar boat in North jersey but i think for a little more money I found one that I wont need to do much(famous last words) good luck...

Edited by Joshc

Joshc - probably the same boat... I should have walked away, but the guy said make an offer, I need it gone. I made an offer, but still think any offer was too much. Stringers, floor, etc. need replaced... Just one more project.