Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black covers

Lieutenant Dan

Looking into getting a new cover, most likely an Evolution. It seems like everyone gets black. I like the look but since my boat sits out in the hot semi-southern Cincinnati sun all summer I am concerned about the heat under the cover cooking the interior, etc. My boat has a Reuben (I.e. red) main stripe but I won't buy a red cover since I'm sure it will fade. I might get a tan one.

Has anyone out there gotten anything other than black? If so, are you happy with it? Regrets?

Looking into getting a new cover, most likely an Evolution. It seems like everyone gets black. I like the look but since my boat sits out in the hot semi-southern Cincinnati sun all summer I am concerned about the heat under the cover cooking the interior, etc. My boat has a Reuben (I.e. red) main stripe but I won't buy a red cover since I'm sure it will fade. I might get a tan one.

Has anyone out there gotten anything other than black? If so, are you happy with it? Regrets?

Hey Dan -

We just recently ordered a new boat from No Wake and we ordered it with the gray cover. We keep the boat down on Norris Lake and the cover on our old boat was black and would heat up the interior so much that we had to let it cool off just to get in it. Our first two boats had gray covers and we never had this issue. That heat can't be good for the interior or any of the electronics. No Wake told me that they hadn't ordered a gray cover in quite some time.

We have gray on our 01 Sunsetter, the gray was factory. I like the gray a lot because it doesn't get too hot, and it doesn't fade either.

My boat has a custom cover made by Boatmans in Oklahoma City. I'm not sure exactly what material it is, but it is more of a thick plastic feel than it is sunbrella. It is red in color, and my hull is currently more faded than the cover.

TheRig.jpg

I went with Charcoal Gray Tweed from Evolution. I'm picking up the boat next week, I'll post pics.

Ask Cory to send you a sample of the Tweed looks much better in person.

I went with Charcoal Gray Tweed from Evolution. I'm picking up the boat next week, I'll post pics.

Yes, Sunbrella charcoal tweed looks good, tolerant to dirt (not as noticeable), and doesn't get too hot (compared to black)

I went with Sunbrella # 6051-0000 Silver. I have had the cover a few weeks and am happy with it. Cory at Evolution offered great customer service.

i just got my black evolution cover a few weeks ago and i love it so far. Tough getting on the first time,i needed my son to help on the back. I am not sure who told me but the differance between a black and grey evolution was only a few degree differance in a heat test.

Yea, putting the cover on the boat is definitely an art form. I have two routines.... one from from the ground, and one from inside the boat. Basically you have to remove the cover in the right way so putting it back on is easy. I roll the cover from the transom to the bow, unhooking things as you roll it. Then fold up the roll into 3rds. Then I store the cover inside the spotter's seat, in the truck or in the dock box, depending on the circumstances.

If the cover is rolled up right, then putting the cover back on the boat is easier. I can unfold it so it's one big roll, look for the bow in the big roll, orient the cover so the bow part of the cover hooks down over the bow of the boat, then start unrolling it, pulling the cover back (from either inside of outside of the boat). If your inside the boat, you'll need to hook up the pieces around the tower as you go, all of it, drawstring, zipper, velcro, etc. Then keep pulling it back. Remember to grab all your stuff at that point, shoes, phone, wallet, keys, turn off the batteries, etc. Then pull the cover back over the transom & start hooking up all the straps & drawstring. I like to back into my boat slip so that when I'm at this point, all I do is jump off the swimstep to the dock. And I'm done.

I can do the whole thing in 2 or 3 minutes now. Took me a while to get the process down. And if it's early in the year, I might forget something, ie; my glasses or the turn off the Perko. But it's usually a pretty easy process with this cover.... and less steps because their less crap to setup with it!! :yahoo:

I have an older black Rankin towing cover that I use solely for towing in So. Cal. The interior gets unbelievably hot underneath the cover (the railings are too hot to touch with your hand). I use my factory gray cover at all other times - does not get quite as hot. My next cover will not be black!

Tweed? You have to post a picture of that!!

When I first spoke with cory he asked me what color I wanted and i reflexed with black because all my previous colors have been black and it matches my bimini cover etc. After I hung up the phone I wondered if I'd regret that decision or not. If I did it over again I'm not sure which I'd pick. I live in WI so it never gets super hot here and black works just fine. I think it looks sharper than any gray that I've seen but I would totally take a darker slate gray / storm gray over black if it was available.

You're already doing right what I did wrong, you're thinking about what color you want instead of spitting out the first color that comes to mind. In retrospect I am still very pleased with my choice. Just wish I would have thought it over more first.