Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

CO Levels

Texasguy

So as not to hijack another thread I thought I would start a new thread with some good info from a guy here in Austin TX. The point of this thread is not to pimp his products but I believe his info and research tests are important and useful information. He has tried to do some objective CO tests to try to get away from the standard, Yes it's bad vs. No it's not, arguments. His name is Larry Mann and the site is called boatpipes.com, cool pics and videos too.

After reading all this info our boat rule is Wake surf is ok, no teak surfing and be Very careful with children at the platform of the boat. This includes small kids standing on the platform getting their board on. We Always have the engine Off because kids can sometimes be back there awhile getting ready and kids are the Most vulnerable to CO.

Boat Pipes . com

post-1004-1138462613_thumb.jpg

I'm not trying to be the killjoy on anyones "fun" but I think most of this is good info.

So as not to hijack another thread I thought I would start a new thread with some good info from a guy here in Austin TX. The point of this thread is not to pimp his products but I believe his info and research tests are important and useful information. He has tried to do some objective CO tests to try to get away from the standard, Yes it's bad vs. No it's not, arguments. His name is Larry Mann and the site is called boatpipes.com, cool pics and videos too.

After reading all this info our boat rule is Wake surf is ok, no teak surfing and be Very careful with children at the platform of the boat. This includes small kids standing on the platform getting their board on. We Always have the engine Off because kids can sometimes be back there awhile getting ready and kids are the Most vulnerable to CO.

Boat Pipes . com

post-1004-1138462613_thumb.jpg

I'm not trying to be the killjoy on anyones "fun" but I think most of this is good info.

Looked through the fresh free exhaust info. Glad to see someone trying to make things safer. Wonder how it holds up over time and what it does to a slalom wake? I'm all for safer, and if these are the real deal, I would have paid the money to get them. Unfortunately it looks like the design is incompatible with my wedge.

I would put stacks (like a semi truck exhaust) on my boat before I used that device!!!

on a side note, I don't worry at all about carbonmonoxide posioning. If I began to feel a bit sleepy on the surf board (which I think would take hours of riding) then I would just get in the boat. And when (I am going to this summer) teak surf I will just wear a life jacket. The exhaust behind our boat never bothers me, actually I like the smell of boat exhaust I also like the smell of gas and two stroke oil. Crazy.gif

And when (I am going to this summer) teak surf I will just wear a life jacket. The exhaust behind our boat never bothers me, actually I like the smell of boat exhaust Crazy.gif

Have you read any threads where posters let fly their thoughts of the family who let their son teak-surf? If not, I think you should.

Teak-surfing is dangerous and has caused death. Glad to hear you plan to wear a vest, though. Then you should at least be near the surface when the boat comes back for your unconscious, face-down body. Is there someone on your boat who actually knows how to revive someone suffering from CO poisoning? Stupid.gif

... actually I like the smell of boat exhaust I also like the smell of gas and two stroke oil. Crazy.gif

I love the smell of 2-stroke in the morning!!

Jetski, it's not the unburned 2-stroke oil in the exhaust that is the "problem", it's the Odorless gas of CO that can and does kill people. Even strong and invincible people like you! I know it sounds impossible that there things that you can't see or smell that can kill you.

By the way standing style surfing seems to be ok but getting your sniffer close to the water is where the greatest danger is. Also by the time you are "sleepy" it may very well be too late.

I don't think this device will work with the wedge and I don't plan to get one, but the data makes it clear how high the CO levels are at the platform.

I would put stacks (like a semi truck exhaust) on my boat before I used that device!!!

on a side note, I don't worry at all about carbonmonoxide posioning. If I began to feel a bit sleepy on the surf board (which I think would take hours of riding) then I would just get in the boat. And when (I am going to this summer) teak surf I will just wear a life jacket. The exhaust behind our boat never bothers me, actually I like the smell of boat exhaust I also like the smell of gas and two stroke oil. Crazy.gif

I can't believe your post is serious, because that would just be Stupid.gif

Jan. 25 -- People who survive a toxic encounter with carbon monoxide run a risk of death years later because of heart damage related to the poisoning, U.S. researchers reported in their latest study published on Tuesday.

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide can damage the brain, but a new study suggests poisoning with the colorless, odorless gas can also cause serious harm to the heart.

Patients hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning are at a significantly increased risk of dying over the next seven years, especially from heart conditions, according to a report in the Jan. 25 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Did you guys all miss the little Crazy.gif emotion that I put on the end of the post????

The only serious thing in that post (besides the fact that I like the smell of gas) is that I would rather have stacks on my boat instead of that thing. Its nice to know that you are all looking out for me though :blush:

Did you guys all miss the little Crazy.gif emotion that I put on the end of the post????

The only serious thing in that post (besides the fact that I like the smell of gas) is that I would rather have stacks on my boat instead of that thing. Its nice to know that you are all looking out for me though :blush:

Were all here for ya' pal ;) Gotta look out fer the yungsters Biggrin.gif

Hey Now, Don't do that to us old guys!! Most of us are Fathers or Mothers.

And Stay away from the glue too!!

The only serious thing in that post

BS.

You drag off that platform and you have several people here who will hunt you down and kick your a$$. It takes a village to raise a child. Crazy.gif

gallery_189_36_31910.jpg

teak surfing at its finest...

BS.

You drag off that platform and you have several people here who will hunt you down and kick your a$$. It takes a village to raise a child. Crazy.gif

Your right, it probably will take several of you :lol:

gallery_189_36_31910.jpg

teak surfing at its finest...

BS.

Your right, it probably will take several of you :lol:

MY what cherry red skin you have young man, oh you have a headache too!

Jan. 25 -- People who survive a toxic encounter with carbon monoxide run a risk of death years later because of heart damage related to the poisoning, U.S. researchers reported in their latest study published on Tuesday.

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide can damage the brain, but a new study suggests poisoning with the colorless, odorless gas can also cause serious harm to the heart.

Patients hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning are at a significantly increased risk of dying over the next seven years, especially from heart conditions, according to a report in the Jan. 25 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

glad this word got out. leaves me with the thought that the damage may cumulative and concealed.

I also like the smell of gas and two stroke oil. Crazy.gif

raw gasoline contains benzine, a cause of cancer.

And when (I am going to this summer) teak surf I will just wear a life jacket. The exhaust behind our boat never bothers me, actually I like the smell of boat exhaust Crazy.gif

Have you read any threads where posters let fly their thoughts of the family who let their son teak-surf? If not, I think you should.

Teak-surfing is dangerous and has caused death. Glad to hear you plan to wear a vest, though. Then you should at least be near the surface when the boat comes back for your unconscious, face-down body. Is there someone on your boat who actually knows how to revive someone suffering from CO poisoning? Stupid.gif

This is the problem I have the newly enacted law here in CA. The kid that died on the very lake I use wasn't wearing a life vest and it wasn't ever brought to light. The parent should have been prosecuted for child endangerment, rather than blame boat manufactures for his sons death. I'm not saying that he would have lived but the fact that he drowned and not floated eliminated any possible chance to be revived. Therefore, in this particular situation it can't be said that CO killed his son. I don’t endorse teak surfing nor have I ever done it.

The exhaust behind our boat never bothers me, actually I like the smell of boat exhaust I also like the smell of gas and two stroke oil. Crazy.gif

How about glue ? Biggrin.gif

It's definitely no joke.

A few years back I had a lady that had never wakeboarded before, she wanted to use the hot water shower while getting ready. I started the boat and her then 5-6 year old daughter was playing at the swim step. We got the Mom ready and I told the youngster to get in the boat. She was out laying on the swim step. I would say she wasn't there more than about 20 seconds after the boat was started.

We nearly lost her...

We don't start the boat when anyone is near the back of the boat, nor do we teak surf anymore. When I pull up to a down skier that is done, I shut the motor down right after I pull up to the skier. I have heard and read about many lives that were lost due to CO. I have also heard about a dog that was lost to CO, while standing on the swim step.

Banned in Calif:

http://dbw.ca.gov/PressRoom/2004/041231TeakSurf.asp

Sad story:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=...id=222077&rfi=6

Be careful,

JT