Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's Insider your Fuel Filter?

When you cut your filter open, could you try to cut toward one end and not cut the filter in half, take a picture, and then cut the filter element in half with a hacksaw and take a picture. I know that 99 Response is a pretty good boat mechanic, but before I go replacing fuel lines I want to determine if cutting thru the filter made it look as bad as it did. If my boat runs fine, then I may put some hours on the filter and then pull it and cut it in half again. I know my fuel is clean. So either 99 Response is correct and my fuel lines need replacing or the results got screwed up when I cut thru the filter element. I don't have the part number handy at the moment, but it was a NAPA replacement.

Thanks

There is no way your filter looks that bad from a few metal filings from a hacksaw.

Not metal filings, but torn soggy paper

maybe, but it doesn't seem to me that this cartridge (below) would look like your cartridge if it had been cut the same as yours, where did all the black come from in yours?

photo1.jpg

Edited by Cervelo

The filter element was green, the only other I possibility is the last tank of gas I ran thru it before the lake dried up was from a marina in lake Ouachita Arkansas. When I put the boat up for winter I drained the tank, it was some pretty odd looking dyed marine brand no tax no ethanol fuel from the boat dock.

When you cut your filter open, could you try to cut toward one end and not cut the filter in half, take a picture, and then cut the filter element in half with a hacksaw and take a picture. I know that 99 Response is a pretty good boat mechanic, but before I go replacing fuel lines I want to determine if cutting thru the filter made it look as bad as it did. If my boat runs fine, then I may put some hours on the filter and then pull it and cut it in half again. I know my fuel is clean. So either 99 Response is correct and my fuel lines need replacing or the results got screwed up when I cut thru the filter element. I don't have the part number handy at the moment, but it was a NAPA replacement.

Thanks

That filter was definitively plugged with some nasty stuff, may just have been a bad load of marina gas, buts that's much more than metal filings. I think running the boat for awhile and doing another filter inspection is a good plan. Hopefully it was just a cruddy tank of gas and your fuel lines are fine - that black sludge just reminded me of what we saw when we went to E10 up here.

-Chris

h20Junkie. I found out I had two in my sportster. One had been carefully hidden behind my gas tank by someone that must have laughed up at the sky as he installed it knowing how hard it was to take all those impossible to reach bolts off my back seat!! An easy way is to follow your fuel lines from your fuel pump back to your fuel tank. There will be at least one somewhere.

Does anyone happen to know the part numbers for both fuel filters for my boat?

2001 VLX with Monsoon 330 5.7L.

Whenever I've asked this question to a boat repair shop, they laugh at me. Just run your old old down to any autoparts store and ask for a suitable replacement.

2001 = Wix 33033/Napa 3033

2002 or 2003 - about 2007 = Wix 33299/Napa 3299

Difference between the two is in the size of the fuel lines.

I am sorry for asking this...I was pretty certain I knew what I was doing while maitaining my boat, BUT do you think I have 2 fuel filters??? I know I have a low pressure one back underneath the vent on top on the fuel tank (which I change every year) but I didn't think I had a High Pressure one. The fuel lines run up the port side of the engine and there I find what I thought was the electric fuel pump that has flared type gas line fittings, but now I am wondering if I'm wrong. I thought it was a fuel pump because I could swear there were wires going to it. Don't have the boat in front of me so can't confirm that 100%. What do you guys think. It is a 2004 monsoon engine.

Kevin

when i winterized last fall i went looking for my fuel filter and couldn't find it. i have a fuel line that goes from the tank up to the fuel rail with nothing in line. i also have a vent line leading to the vent. would my filter be in the tank? I would need to pull the floor to get access to the tank. doesn't seem right to me....

200 vride with lcr

when i winterized last fall i went looking for my fuel filter and couldn't find it. i have a fuel line that goes from the tank up to the fuel rail with nothing in line. i also have a vent line leading to the vent. would my filter be in the tank? I would need to pull the floor to get access to the tank. doesn't seem right to me....

200 vride with lcr

Yes it is. You have to remove the fuel pump assembly to get at it. I think the changeover went down in 2007.

You should only have to remove one snap ring on the top of the pump assembly. This releases the fuel line going to the engine. You can pull out the old filter and drop in the new. Replace line and snap ring. No need to pull the whole assembly. This is for the 2007 anyway, I have no experience with anything later.

Image058.jpg

Thanks for the picture. I am almost 100% certain I do not have this high pressure filter. I will look closely when I get it out of storage. This picture helps a lot though. Thanks. Kevin

Thanks for the help, although I'm still a bit confused.

The owner's manual says I have a Pump in Tank (PIT) which explains the lack of any visable inline filter. What I'm stuck with is how to get at the one in the tank. I've removed the fitting on the top of the tank which the HP fuel line is connected to. It was in a rubber grommet and held in place by a piece of aluminum (see pic). There was a small dia. black plastic tube extending into the tank from the bottom of the fitting (no sign of a filter).

The next step would be to take off the 12 allen head bolts that hold on the access panel on top of the tank. The problem is that the floor covers half the access. Do I need to pull the floor up to access the internal filter to change it out? That would seem way to complicated a procedure for replacement of a wearable item like a fuel filter.....

What am I missing here?

post-15868-0-75821400-1334029222_thumb.j

Thanks for the help, although I'm still a bit confused.

The owner's manual says I have a Pump in Tank (PIT) which explains the lack of any visable inline filter. What I'm stuck with is how to get at the one in the tank. I've removed the fitting on the top of the tank which the HP fuel line is connected to. It was in a rubber grommet and held in place by a piece of aluminum (see pic). There was a small dia. black plastic tube extending into the tank from the bottom of the fitting (no sign of a filter).

The next step would be to take off the 12 allen head bolts that hold on the access panel on top of the tank. The problem is that the floor covers half the access. Do I need to pull the floor up to access the internal filter to change it out? That would seem way to complicated a procedure for replacement of a wearable item like a fuel filter.....

What am I missing here?

I am also curious about this....

Thanks for the picture. I am almost 100% certain I do not have this high pressure filter. I will look closely when I get it out of storage. This picture helps a lot though. Thanks. Kevin

You're welcome.

• 2 months later...