Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's Insider your Fuel Filter?

Someone suggested on one of the topics that the fuel filter should be changed every year and to cut one open to see why

well, I did and here you go:

6a37defe.jpg

eb5a6bb0.jpg

4f30c57a.jpg

Edited by Bozboat

NAPA accientaly gave me the wrong filter for my tank #3003.

It's the clear plastic version of 3033.

I'm interested to see how it looks at the end of the season.

After pulling and cleaning my injectors last summer I was shocked to see what came out of them.

I buy gas at a high volume Valero name brand store. 89 Octane, always use stabil blue, and I drained my tank before storing boat for winter

AMAZING.....I change my FF every two years just for grins. I thinking I will do it every season now. To take as much care as you do with your fuel / tank and still have the filter look like that. Hats off to ya....I'm not near as particular.

Wow!! Thanks for sharing, Boz. I picked up new fuel filters with all my winterizing gear in the fall. I'll be replacing mine this weekend and will cut it to see what it looks like. Thanks again.

I am eager to see what others find. Didn't like what I found but don't know if its what should be expected or if I am the Lone Ranger on this problem

That is a really bad filter for sure. I would go ahead and change out your fuel lines Boz, I saw plenty of filters plugged up like that years ago when we switched over to E10 fuel. Probably drain and flush out the tank best you can too.

It can really cause problems once it gets to the fuel pump. My memory is a little rusty but does your year monsoon have a high pressure fuel filter after the pump? If so I'd replace and cut that one apart too.

That is a really bad filter for sure. I would go ahead and change out your fuel lines Boz, I saw plenty of filters plugged up like that years ago when we switched over to E10 fuel. Probably drain and flush out the tank best you can too.

It can really cause problems once it gets to the fuel pump. My memory is a little rusty but does your year monsoon have a high pressure fuel filter after the pump? If so I'd replace and cut that one apart too.

The one in the picture is the high pressure fuel filter

I replaced the small low pressure filter near the tank as well.

ColinP is probably correct that some of that crud material may be the result of sawing thru the filter element with a hack saw.

• Like 1

If that is the HP fuel filter (now that I look at the pictures its obvious) I'd make sure you clean the screen on the inlet side on the fuel pump if you haven't already. The filter housing looks to be in pretty good shape so I'm assuming it hasn't been on the engine too long. is that correct? And how did the LP filter look, or did you not cut that one apart?

That black gunk is what we used to see in the fuel filters when the E10 showed up, our best guess was the more reactive fuel was eating away at the fuel lines. The newer lines are designed to be used with ethanol.

At the very least I'd buy a few of the LP filters and change regularly throughout the season, cutting and inspecting to see what's up.

-Chris

You had me wondering since it's been a few years since I changed mine. Since the filter had a rolled edge in the middle of the housing, I used snips and cut around the edge so I wouldn't cut into the filter element.

photo1.jpg

Edited by yabetcha

You had me wondering since it's been a few years since I changed mine. Since the filter had a rolled edge in the middle of the housing, I used snips and cut around the edge so I wouldn't cut into the filter element.

photo1.jpg

Wow, that looks clean. Mine started out as a green filter element. The more I look at it the more I am thinking that some of the crud was the result of cutting thru it with the hack saw, still your filter is in a whole lot better shape.

If that is the HP fuel filter (now that I look at the pictures its obvious) I'd make sure you clean the screen on the inlet side on the fuel pump if you haven't already. The filter housing looks to be in pretty good shape so I'm assuming it hasn't been on the engine too long. is that correct? And how did the LP filter look, or did you not cut that one apart?

That black gunk is what we used to see in the fuel filters when the E10 showed up, our best guess was the more reactive fuel was eating away at the fuel lines. The newer lines are designed to be used with ethanol.

At the very least I'd buy a few of the LP filters and change regularly throughout the season, cutting and inspecting to see what's up.

-Chris

The HP filter was on the boat for last summer, I changed it last spring and ran it all summer. Changed it again this spring. I changed the LP filter this spring but didn't save it or cut it open. I don't like the idea that I have fuel lines deteriorating. What all is involved in switching them out? Do I buy that by the foot somewhere?

I have a 08 VTX, I can't seem to find my filter. Any hints? (I looked all over the place, I don't feel that stupid, but there is always the chance)

I believe you have the filter socks which are in the tank.

The HP filter was on the boat for last summer, I changed it last spring and ran it all summer. Changed it again this spring. I changed the LP filter this spring but didn't save it or cut it open. I don't like the idea that I have fuel lines deteriorating. What all is involved in switching them out? Do I buy that by the foot somewhere?

Wow I'm surprised you didn't have any running issues, usually those HP filters are super clean after years of use, that is a tremendous amount of junk for 1 years use.

It isn't a big deal to replace the fuel lines, West Marine sells the stuff by the foot (I'm sure you could buy it online also). You want the USGC approved stuff that's made to handle the ethanol. The hardest part will be taking apart the trunk enough to get access to the lines then disconnect from each end and pull the new one though. Your era Monsoon has both a fuel supply and fuel return lines so you'll want to do both.

-Chris

First, i would def buy my gas somewhere else! LOL Second, i plan on changing my fuel filter next week. I will cut and post pic. I have owned my boat for two years and have not changed the fuel filter. Does anyone happen to know the part numbers for both fuel filters for my boat?

2001 VLX with Monsoon 330 5.7L.

Thanks.

First, i would def buy my gas somewhere else! LOL Second, i plan on changing my fuel filter next week. I will cut and post pic. I have owned my boat for two years and have not changed the fuel filter. Does anyone happen to know the part numbers for both fuel filters for my boat?

2001 VLX with Monsoon 330 5.7L.

Thanks.

When you cut your filter open, could you try to cut toward one end and not cut the filter in half, take a picture, and then cut the filter element in half with a hacksaw and take a picture. I know that 99 Response is a pretty good boat mechanic, but before I go replacing fuel lines I want to determine if cutting thru the filter made it look as bad as it did. If my boat runs fine, then I may put some hours on the filter and then pull it and cut it in half again. I know my fuel is clean. So either 99 Response is correct and my fuel lines need replacing or the results got screwed up when I cut thru the filter element. I don't have the part number handy at the moment, but it was a NAPA replacement.

Thanks

Edited by Bozboat