Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Amp Install

BearCreekBum

I know this is a rookie mistake but just wanted to verify my ASSUMPTIONS.

I was replacing the amp that serves my cabin speakers yesterday and had the Perko switch to OFF and ASSUMED that no voltage was present. Disconnect the existing amp and trying to figure out how to mount the new one and I bump the exposed power leads together. Sparks fly and I manage not to wet my pants. I need to remove the batteries anyway and do this and check for voltage. There is still 12 volts present.

I assume that this voltage is coming from some capacitors in the tower amp which is still connected. When I disconnect the power leads on the tower amp I finally have zero volts.

If an amp has capacitors is there an internal resistor to bleed off the voltage after a certain time? I know that industrial capacitors discharge after 5 minutes.

I've also decided that wakeboarding and stereo installs are a young man's game. Back and shoulders are killing be today.

Thanks

Most amps that I've dealt with do not have an internal resistor to discharge when disconnected.

Easiest is to take a test light with an actual light bulb in it (not l.e.d.) and connect it to the power and ground leads of the amp. When the light goes out, it's discharged. I've had to do this with some of my older a/d/s/ stuff that has a decent amount of capacitance built in.

Any capacitors in the input of an amplifier will self-dissipate after a little while. I wouldn't be too concerned from the spark unless you accidentally reversed polarity. It helps to wear Depends when wiring.

"Lighten" up..... Earmark (David) has been alot of help to many on this forum,,IMHO. BearCreekBum, sorry for the sparks,but I got a good laugh in at your expense. I have always tried to disconnect the batteries, never had any sparky situations. Hope the instal goes smooth from here on out. Post pics if ya can.

Good on ya for asking the question..I am going to pull my batteries and let everything set for a while before beginning work. Would hate to fry an amp!

jk13 has the right answer using the test light DC bulb to empty the stored energy. On a side note, many have damaged the fragile preamp outputs in cheaper HUs by plugging RCAs into an amplifier that is on.

David