Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Echelon--Need To Replace Exhaust Hose

Hi all,

I have an exhaust hose issue and could use some advice. There is a pencil sized hole in the port exhaust hose (the one leaving the manifold and going to the rear of the boat). It looks like this hose rests against the fiberglass cube on in the bilge where the engine bolts to the boat and the corner of this cube just dug its way through the hose over time. I ordered a new hose this morning and will be installing it this weekend. First question---anyone have any tips for installing the tube? It looks like it would be as simple as pulling off the hose clamps, pulling the old house off, sliding on the new one and tightening the hose clamps up. These projects never end up being as easy as I expect them to be, however, so I would love some advice about how to make this as easy as possible.

In the meantime I placed a small square of garden hose over the small hole and duct taped over it. I am wondering if it would be foolish of me to use it this way with the blower running until the part arrives or if I would be creating a safety hazard and should just hold off until the weekend to use it? When I ran the boat the first time this weekend I opened the motor cover and there was a little exhaust present (presumably from this small hole). I was getting water in the bilge last year and couldn’t figure out where it was coming from, so odds are I had this issue last year and just didn’t realize it. Maybe I just got lucky without having any issue from it. Thanks.

I would suggest changing the length of the new hose slightly to move the hose away from the contact point that caused the hole. Simple project, loosen the hose clamps, you might need to break the hose loose from the manifold and exhaust pipe. Usually a good twist will help. Be careful if stuck with the exhaust pipe, the manifold will be more robust. Some dish soap or simply slice the hose to allow you to peel it off if it is difficult to remove.