Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1991 Malibu

I don't seem to be getting water flow to the lower part of the manifold. Could it be adjustment of the little ball things in the top part of the thermasts housing going to the top of manifold.

I don't seem to be getting water flow to the lower part of the manifold. Could it be adjustment of the little ball things in the top part of the thermasts housing going to the top of manifold.

How can you tell there isnt water flow? Have you given the thermostat enough time to open up? Could the thermostat be stuck closed?

The ball things keep the flow from reversing and you should be able to pull them outward a little bit pretty easily.

The ball things are real loose, not against the pipe ends at all. The lower part of the manifold gets pretty hot and I squeeze the hose going to that part of the manifold I can't feel any water going thru

How can you tell there isnt water flow? Have you given the thermostat enough time to open up? Could the thermostat be stuck closed?

The ball things keep the flow from reversing and you should be able to pull them outward a little bit pretty easily.

It's a new thermostat, but I guess just because it's new doesn't mean it's working. Maybe should pull it out and check it. Does it have to open to get water flow thru those lines

The ball things are real loose, not against the pipe ends at all. The lower part of the manifold gets pretty hot and I squeeze the hose going to that part of the manifold I can't feel any water going thru

They should be pretty easy to move. Water pressure the wrong way will seal them. There should be a nut and spring on them so adjust them so they are closed. Then pull on them both and they should open very easily.

The only water flow you will have is out the exhaust until the thermostat opens. What does your temp guage tell you?

Edited by Shine

It's a new thermostat, but I guess just because it's new doesn't mean it's working. Maybe should pull it out and check it. Does it have to open to get water flow thru those lines

For now assume it is working and there is a different issue. Check it if it is easy for ya...

They should be pretty easy to move. Water pressure the wrong way will seal them. There should be a nut and spring on them so adjust them so they are closed. Then pull on them both and they should open very easily.

The only water flow you will have is out the exhaust until the thermostat opens. What does your temp guage tell you?

Having issues with the temp gauge. I have a new temp sender on the way. So, what your saying is I should have no water flow to the exhaust manifolds untill the thermostat opens. KD

Having issues with the temp gauge. I have a new temp sender on the way. So, what your saying is I should have no water flow to the exhaust manifolds untill the thermostat opens. KD

You should always have water flow out the exhaust. That is the reason for the bypass.

So maybe the lower manifold only gets water when the thermostat opens. And if that's the case then maybe the thermostat is not opening and letting water to the bottom manifold. Your thoughts.

So maybe the lower manifold only gets water when the thermostat opens. And if that's the case then maybe the thermostat is not opening and letting water to the bottom manifold. Your thoughts.

Correct, fresh water on start up will bypass to the exhaust. Once you are warm you will get regular circulation in addition to the exhaust water flow.

Could you possibly have a blockage somewhere? Try this, take the thermostat out completely and recheck to see if your manifold gets hot like it was and check the hose you were squeezing. Your engine will not reach operating temp with full open flow like this.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, we are talking about your lower intake manifold, right?

Exhaust manifold. I have two water sources to them. One on the bottom into the manifold connected to the engine and one water source to the top elbow that leaves the boat. The bottom one gets hotter than I think it should.

Exhaust manifold. I have two water sources to them. One on the bottom into the manifold connected to the engine and one water source to the top elbow that leaves the boat. The bottom one gets hotter than I think it should.

Ugh, ok. The info above was for the intake...

Have you pulled the hose that you think has no water in it while the engine is running? WARNING, dont get burned while checking. The exhaust manifolds get pretty hot even with water running out the top of them.

I'll have to look at the routing on mine later unless you have a pic on hand.

I'm new to this forum, not for sure how to send a pic. If it not against the rules you can call me. Kevin 512-801-7505, I'm in the boat right now. KD

I'm new to this forum, not for sure how to send a pic. If it not against the rules you can call me. Kevin 512-801-7505, I'm in the boat right now. KD

For the life of me I cannot remember what the bottom lower hose connects to. But you'll have to look and see if it is above(bypass) or below the thermostat in your routing. Above it will have water all the time, below or stopped by the thermostat, will only have water when the tstat is open.

I'll give you a call in a bit if I can.

Also the complete removal of the thermostat will run full water through everything if you have adequate flow on the fake a lake or if is is in the water.

Pics can be uploaded to a photo hosting site like Photobucket, then you paste in the link in your response.