Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Iride (2006) Question

Sandyjc

We're considering the purchase of a 2006 iRide and would really appreciate some help. We need a general all around boat for slalom, wake boarding and wake surfing that will comfortably carry 8 people - what are your thoughts/suggestions/experiences with this boat?

Thank you!!!

That boat probably wouldn't be bad for either of those things. Make sure to get the wedge. I think you can get center ballast on those. For surfing and boarding, make sure to get extra sacks for the rear. When loaded properly, the wake is good.

That's a good boat! I think you would enjoy and it should do everything you want it to do... Can't beat the price. You may have to work with fat sacs for wakeboarding and surfing though. Kind of a pain but that's just part of it...

If you are stuck on iRide or DD, the iRide is a good multisport boat, especially when you add weight. The only downside is there are no rear lockers(I think), so you will have to put the sacks on the floor.

i have an 07 IRIDE. It leaves a decent wake for slalom and barefooting. It came stock with a center ballast bag. When it is full,the wedge is down and a few people onboard the wake is fine. We have surfed behind it too! It does have a locker in the back

Edited by foiler1

i have an 07 IRIDE. It leaves a decent wake for slalom and barefooting. It came stock with a center ballast bag. When it is full,the wedge is down and a few people onboard the wake is fine. We have surfed behind it too! It does have a locker in the back

How is the surf wake? Did you have to add ballast bags on the floor of the boat? How many adults will comfortably be able to ride along?

Appreciate the input!

I had an Iride last year. It surfed very well. What i did is put 500 lbs in the rear, a 500 lbs sac next to the motor box ,center bag full and wedge down. We could surf all day, we could do 360's and everything no issues. The wakeboard wake can get big as well.

I have an 04 DD wakesetter (same boat) it starts getting croweded with 8+ people We have mostly teens when we go so if they are in the way we just push them overboard. Works pretty well until they try to get even. A vdrive will give you more room but you will pay extra for it. If I were to do it over again I would find a v drive on the cutdimond hull. or a 23XTi

Good luck

8 people are comfy in ours as well. 8 non boating people is a whole other story.

:plus1: We get 4 adults and 4 kids in our 21vRide comfortably. Makes a nice surf wake with ballast tanks and wedge too

Edited by 09vRide

I picked up an 05 I ride last summer for a good deal. It works for me because I ski and wakeboard like yourself (and the price worked for me). Upgraded from using my dads I/O. I haven't tried surfing with it but the previous owner said he was able to surf it and included 3 sacs (2 reg, 1 bow) with the purchase. It has the stock center back and manual wedge. As others have said, the wake bets better with weight. It is usually 7 people for us, 4 adults, 3 kids, and it gets cramped but is doable. We just keep all the "stuff" in storage so its just people taking up space in the boat. There is a rear locker. Mine has the Titan 3 tower with bimini, its rock solid and folds easily.

Have any more questions let me know. It works well for doing everything but doesn't compete with the wakes of a diamond hull or a vdrive.

• 4 weeks later...

Was just looking at a 05 Iride and noticed a LCR motor. Who makes it and is it a good problem free motor? Assuming still the 350 for the block?

Any major items on a Iride that would cause me to be dissappointed with it, since I am coming from a 01 SSLXi.

Was just looking at a 05 Iride and noticed a LCR motor. Who makes it and is it a good problem free motor? Assuming still the 350 for the block?

Any major items on a Iride that would cause me to be dissappointed with it, since I am coming from a 01 SSLXi.

LCR is the base 350 from Indmar. Bullet proof motor. Has great torque off the bottom which makes it a good fit. Only difference between it and the monsoon is tuning which lets the monsoon rev a bit higher for a few extra HP.

Pretty sure LCR does not have knock sensors which is what allows a slightly more aggressive tune in the monsoon vs LCR. Our ski club has LCR in a response and it will wind up as high as a monsoon. Many I-rides have the LCR and I doubt that you'll notice a difference in the seat of your pants comparing monsoon and LCR

Just a minor correction. I have an '06 iRide and the LCR is a 320 (not 350) and I don't think it went down in size from '05 to '06.

I really like my iRide a lot. It's a good all around boat. I think I have around 360 hours on my engine (it's been a while since it's been on the water since it's just starting to warm up) and not a single issue (knock on wood). The engine block is a GM engine marinized by Indmar. In the iRide it's very easy to work on and maintain. I've never had an issue where I wished I had more power. It's a good match for the boat.

Just a minor correction. I have an '06 iRide and the LCR is a 320 (not 350) and I don't think it went down in size from '05 to '06.

I really like my iRide a lot. It's a good all around boat. I think I have around 360 hours on my engine (it's been a while since it's been on the water since it's just starting to warm up) and not a single issue (knock on wood). The engine block is a GM engine marinized by Indmar. In the iRide it's very easy to work on and maintain. I've never had an issue where I wished I had more power. It's a good match for the boat.

I think Tims meant 350 as in 350ci. (which the LCR is)

Same motor I have, it is an indmar motor and trouble free, mine has just over 600 hours and runs great.

8 people are comfy in ours as well. 8 non boating people is a whole other story.

+4000

never fails to amaze me when we take people out for an hour or 2 and they show up at the dock looking like they are packed for a weekend camping trip.