Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing With 2008 Tundra 5.7 - Rear Squat

davidc22470

I must be confused here. you all are talking about replacing shocks to decrease rear squat?

I am not tracking shocks have much of anything to do with the particular ride level untill you get into some of the gas and oil filled shocks with those external adjustable resevoirs like you see on baja trucks.

Shocks are there to dampen shocks and bumps. else we would bounce all over the road from the springs and the suspension....leaf and coil springs hold the weight, THATs what determines youe ride level and how much squat you get on a particular weight. You put HD shocks on there it"ll still squat to the same level as before, but the ride will be much more stiff.

you gotta beef up the coil or leaf springs, add air bags etc to get less squat. What am I missing?

I must be confused here. you all are talking about replacing shocks to decrease rear squat?

I am not tracking shocks have much of anything to do with the particular ride level untill you get into some of the gas and oil filled shocks with those external adjustable resevoirs like you see on baja trucks.

Shocks are there to dampen shocks and bumps. else we would bounce all over the road from the springs and the suspension....leaf and coil springs hold the weight, THATs what determines youe ride level and how much squat you get on a particular weight. You put HD shocks on there it"ll still squat to the same level as before, but the ride will be much more stiff.

you gotta beef up the coil or leaf springs, add air bags etc to get less squat. What am I missing?

Apparently some reading comprehension. :whistle:

I kid, I kid.

What you stated is exactly what was discussed in the thread. Shocks can change the ride quality with stiffer rebound and compression, but not keep the truck level. Being that he added air bags to keep it level and put stiffer riding shocks on at the same time, he's not sure which is the cause of the loss of ride quality.

When I get new tires, I'm going with these http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/lifted-truck-off-road/5100-series-ride-height-adjustable.html on the front to level my truck...may even opt for them on the rear as I hear they help with stiffen up the rear.

I had the 5100's on my Tacoma. They will stiffen your ride a little. Not too bad, but noticeable. I had them set for 2.5" of lift in the front and had the rears in there just so they were a matched set all around. I used a 1" block in the back to level it out.

A friend of mine has the 5100's on his Tundra to level out the front and he also said the ride is noticeable stiffer with them on.

Any update on the ride quality after the airbag install? Load and unloaded? PSI during said runs?

I have not taken delivery of the boat yet (in fact today is my build date). Anyhow, the truck is too stiff in the rear and I dont care for the ride at this point. That is compared to the smooth feeling of the stock tundra.

However, it is confirmed that the shocks are what is causing the stiff ride, not the airbags. The airbags at this point have just 5 lbs in each side so should be for the most part not even noticeable.

So, in hindsight I should have gone with the standard OEM style replacement shocks in conjunction with the airbags which are only used to adjust ride height on the rear of the truck. For some reason that I needed heavy duty monotube shocks when I really did not. I am confident that the ride will improve drastically once it is loaded down with the weight of the new LSV with a full tank of gas but when it is an empty bed (and not towing anything) it sure is a bumpy ride.

Live and learn, or I just need to go boating more often so I have the boat behind the truck most of the time rather than the other way around!