Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing With 2008 Tundra 5.7 - Rear Squat

davidc22470

Hey guys, I just ordered a new 23 lsv and found that when hooked up to my truck, 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7, (I towed our demo to the dock) the back tends to squat down quite a bit more than I expected. I do have the revtech leveling kit installed and running 20" kmc wheels on 33" Cooper Discovers STT mud terrains with the rear leveling blocks NOT INSTALLED. I did not install the rear blocks initially as the primary purpose of the leveling kit was to level my truck. Also, the tow hitch is a standard hitch, not a drop down hitch (not necessary).

Would putting the rear leveling blocks fix this issue or are my rear shocks possibly worn out? Or maybe I need a stiffer set of shocks in the rear? The truck is a 2 wheel drive and has about 100K miles on it. Just hoping someone has had similar experience and solution. I would like the truck to be level during towing yet not drastically unlevel while not towing. Thanks in advance for your help.

Putting the leveling blocks in will only raise the starting point, not offer any load support. So it won't sit level without the boat like you said.

Here's my thoughts as an accessories dealer:

No matter what if the rear shocks are original with 100k change them. And the fronts, too. Won't help with sag at all but they aren't doing what they used to.

Look at a load support device. Air Lift now has these available: http://shop.airliftcompany.com/product/505232/52210/_/AIR_CELL%3B_NON_ADJUSTABLE_LOAD_SUPPORT We've used these a couple times and they are nice. Ride a bit better than a Timbren jounce stop, and still no maintenance to deal with.

Other options:

Adjustable air bags, but I only recommend doing those with an onboard compressor because constantly monitoring your pressure through a tire valve on the rear bumper gets old fast. Much more expensive and higher maintenance, but adjustable.

Timbren SES. Basically a taller bump stop in place of the original. No maintenance, no adjustability. They work well but the Air Cells seem to ride better.

Super Springs. Another leaf spring that attaches to your pack and only comes into play when loaded. Worked well for many years as the only option, but with the new trucks being so much quieter and smoother riding the little bit of rattles and squeaks have led us other directions recently.

Air shocks. I never recommend these unless there is no other option available. If you look at where your shock mounts to the axle, the metal brackets used there are definitely not designed to carry weight. Springs are there for weight capacity, shocks are there to control bounce and ride quality only.

Good luck.

Edited by jk13

Spring rate is what you will need to look at. You may be able to add air bags to level. Shocks do not stop sag, you may go to an air shock to help but shocks control separation and rebound. JMHO

I have a 07 Tunda Crewmax Limited that is lifted 3" with the Camburg Coilovers http://www.camburg.com/toyota/07-11-tundra/toyota-tundra-crs-coilovers and upper A-arms http://www.camburg.com/featured/performance-uniball-upper-arms-5/ as well as blocks in the rear. I dont notice a significant drop at all and have 130, 000km on the truck. Perhaps try the blocks in the rear and see how it sits and if you are still not happy look at airbags.

I would suggest the add-a-leaf or get some new leaf srings for the rear. You can get them in a progressive rate to keep your unloaded ride almost unchanged.

The progressive springs get stiffer with more load and will keep you off your bump stops (which is not good).

Air bags and compressor is what you need. air bags will not change your daily ride whereas add a leaf will. the air bags will give you the support you need while towing. its very easy, air them up when your towing and deflate them when your not.

I have a 2010 crewmax and I don't have very much sag at all. I have the TRD suspension so that might help. Do you have the TRD suspension on yours or just the standard?

post-3534-133281369135_thumb.jpg

Before you do all that stuff to your truck consider sliding the bow stop back 6" or so if it's just u bolted and not welded to the frame. That'll shift the boat back and put more weight on the trailer tires vs the hitch.

Just do a test run at highway speeds 70-80mph to ensure you don't get trailer swag and sway.

I have a tundra 5.7 and my 247 really sags mine also. I plan to slide my bow stop back 6" or so next time I launch the boat and park it in the parking lot.

Before you do all that stuff to your truck consider sliding the bow stop back 6" or so if it's just u bolted and not welded to the frame. That'll shift the boat back and put more weight on the trailer tires vs the hitch.

Just do a test run at highway speeds 70-80mph to ensure you don't get trailer swag and sway.

I have a tundra 5.7 and my 247 really sags mine also. I plan to slide my bow stop back 6" or so next time I launch the boat and park it in the parking lot.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys.... my truck has the standard suspension but I really dont think thats why it is squatting as it does (only difference in TRD is bilstein rear shocks). What is the bow stock? Sorry if that is a stupid question but I really dont understand what that means???

Bow stop on your trailer.... IE where the winch is.... Mine is just u bolted to the frame....slide it back some, move some more of that weight off the hitch and onto the trailer tires..... Go too far and you'll get trailer swag and sway at highway speeds.

JMO, but I would NOT be messing with boat placement on the trailer to deal with squat. You have the amount of tongue weight you do for a reason. Heavier the boat, more tongue weight needed.

JMO, but I would NOT be messing with boat placement on the trailer to deal with squat. You have the amount of tongue weight you do for a reason. Heavier the boat, more tongue weight needed.

I agree. I wouldn't mess with the weight distribution on the trailer. They are set the way they are from the factory for a reason. Could end up with a disaster on the highway.

I have a TRD Tundra as well, and the 'Bu sags my susension. It drives me nuts visually, but it doesn't really affect how well it tows. I've not done anything about it.

FWIW, it's just the way the Extreme trailers are designed. They have a lot of tongue weight. When I tow my fiance's brother's Epic 23v, I get almost no sag at all. Which is crazy cause it's a huge boat compared to the vRide.

Edited by rennis

I'd get airbags, your ride will improve dramatically.

FWIW, I've installed Firestone air bags on an Ford f250 and a Chevy 1500 and on both vehicles the ride was better when we were towing, but it was worse when unloaded. I believe they say to run about 5 psi when they are not loaded, but the rebound was horrible on both trucks. You might check on the Tundra forums if you haven't already. Good luck!

I have a TRD Tundra as well, and the 'Bu sags my susension. It drives me nuts visually, but it doesn't really affect how well it tows. I've not done anything about it.

FWIW, it's just the way the Extreme trailers are designed. They have a lot of tongue weight. When I tow my fiance's brother's Epic 23v, I get almost no sag at all. Which is crazy cause it's a huge boat compared to the vRide.

That's interesting, we have the same exact boats. See my picture I posted above with the boat hooked up to my Tundra. Wonder if it's just the difference in trailers? You have a tandem axle trailer? I have hardly any sag with the vRide hooked up to my truck with a single axle trailer.

That's interesting, we have the same exact boats. See my picture I posted above with the boat hooked up to my Tundra. Wonder if it's just the difference in trailers? You have a tandem axle trailer? I have hardly any sag with the vRide hooked up to my truck with a single axle trailer.

It's just the trailers if you ask me. If the axles were a bit further forward on the trailer, I think it would help a ton. My trailer is dual axle.

Epic is dual axle, much longer, much bigger boat, and it hardly sags the Tundra at all.

LIke I said though, the extra tongue weight doesn't bother me a bit when under way. It drives just fine, and the squat appears to me to just be taking the slack out of the rear shocks. the front end does not feel any lighter to me (or at least it's negligible.) I just hate the way it looks. :)

I have a 2010 Tundra TRD and a 2012 MXZ and there is no sag. Is this just with VRide trailers?

OP is towing a 23lsv. Must be a lot of tongue weight on those as well.

I have a 07 Tunda Crewmax Limited that is lifted 3" with the Camburg Coilovers http://www.camburg.c...a-crs-coilovers and upper A-arms http://www.camburg.c...l-upper-arms-5/ as well as blocks in the rear. I dont notice a significant drop at all and have 130, 000km on the truck. Perhaps try the blocks in the rear and see how it sits and if you are still not happy look at airbags.

Ha! We have the same truck... post up a picture of that bad boy will you. As soon as my tires are done i'm either going to do a leveling kit or small lift like you.

Ha! We have the same truck... post up a picture of that bad boy will you. As soon as my tires are done i'm either going to do a leveling kit or small lift like you.

you running those crappy BFG's until they are bald or sumthin'?

:P