Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing Setup

brienne

Just purchased our first 08 Malibu 23LSV and are interested in wake surfing. Don't know what I am doing and need some advice!

1)Do I need to add more ballast to the boat(We are a family of four)?

2)Where do I need to buy the extra ballasts?

3)Where should I put the extra ballasts on the left or right?

We all wakeboard with our toes pointed toward driver side. Any tips would be helpful!

I would try it out before investing a bunch of money on extra ballast, it adds up fast. Just take a bunch of people out with you and put them on the passenger side of the boat. Sounds like you ride regular and would ride the wave with the boat leaning on the passenger side.

Edited by Bobby Light

If and when you add weight you will want to make sure you have a good propeller on there. The additional weight in my LSV required an upgrade to an Acme 1235 (I think).

Usually you are gonna need some extra ballast beyond the factory, if you don't have a ton of people in the boat. I use lead bars because they are easy to move around to tune the wake.

You guys didn't happen to buy my old boat in Nov. did ya???

Edited by Iron gator

I would try without extra ballast first. We went all summer last year with just factory ballast. We filled all but the side opposite of the surfer and ran the wedge anywhere from all the way down to about 3/4 of max depending on the speed. We also moved all the passengers to the surf side toward the stern. We were usually right around 10 mph. We have the diamond hull, not sure if that makes a difference. A full tank of fuel also makes a difference.

We surfed a '04 LSV with the stock set up and 5 to 7 people in it last year. First time for everyone. A couple of other things to consider are 1)what depth water are you in and 2)how heavy are your surfers. Lighter people on a bigger board can do it no problem (170lbs, on a Broadcast 5.6, in 25ft of water, 10.1mph was our set up). Manual wedge down, all bags full except the rear opposite the surf side.

Go to youtube and look up wakesurfing and look at others set ups may help ya some. May also get some tips on the surfing part as well. Vimeo has some stuff as well. Great advise in previous posts.