Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anybody Running Wetsounds Rev10S?

JamieDrew&theBu

Just put some money down and ordered up some Rev10s for our summer enjoyment. Anyone else out there running them? or any other Wetsounds products?

I run rev 10s and love em. Just had a second pair installed. I power each pair with a Wetsounds Syn 4 amp. and you gotta have the WS420 Eq

Edited by Iron gator

I run rev 10s and love em. Just had a second pair installed. I power each pair with a Wetsounds Syn 4 amp. and you gotta have the WS420 Eq

Do you have any pictures of the install on your tower? Did you purchased the WS G3 tower bracket for the speakers?

I am doing the exact same setup, how did you run all the RCA cables for the WS420 Eq? I am kinda confused since I will have 2 Syn4 amps for the tower, 1 sub amp and 1 interior speakers amp and only 3 amp inputs into the WS420 Eq.

MichLivin,

You can run all four channels, whether in bridged mode or not, of a Syn4 with a single set of RCAs. However, if you are running two amplifiers on the tower zone you will need to split the long RCA cable at its destination and divide the signal into the two tower amplifiers via 'Y' adapters. So regardless of the total number of amplifiers you will only have three stereo RCA cables making the long run, one pair per zone (in-boat, tower and sub).

David

• Like 1

Yes I have pictures, I just can't figure out how to post them. I did use the wetsounds g3 brackets, after talking with wetsounds, it was my only choice. The installer also ran all new wiring to the tower and the eq. I will try to post pics if I can figure our how.

I'm running 2 pairs with a Sin 4 to each pair. I did not use the G3 brackets. they are being mounted to the main hhorizontal bar above the bimini. picking up the boat saturday and can post picks then. +1 for the 420! i have ran one with 2 different systems and they are worth every penny.

Yes I have pictures, I just can't figure out how to post them. I did use the wetsounds g3 brackets, after talking with wetsounds, it was my only choice. The installer also ran all new wiring to the tower and the eq. I will try to post pics if I can figure our how.

Photo bucket works great for posting pic's, Down load them from your hard drive, click on the pic you want, click on Share and it gives you multiple choices for posting on forums etc. I just copy the full size code and post it on the page next to my comments...xm9_s.jpg and there you go...Works like magic...Hope that helps :biggrin: Edited by Wakesetter67

So whats the general consensus? on the sound quality of them? I just ordered a second pair, 2 more syn4 amps a 420 eq and enough XS650 speakers to replace all the interior speakers :crazy:

So whats the general consensus? on the sound quality of them? I just ordered a second pair, 2 more syn4 amps a 420 eq and enough XS650 speakers to replace all the interior speakers :crazy:

There is no consensus. It is like Chevy vs. Ford. There are great systems that use the Exile stuff. Some of your satisfaction will come from your dealer experience. Can't go wrong with either, IMHO.

I have wetsounds EQ and Rev 10's and could not be more pleased.

I had a ws420 in my old boat and I won't be signing up for another. It's a great idea (two EQ's in one! And a PA!) but I don't like the functionality and I always felt like I needed tweezers to independently control the volume of the tower and cabin zones. Had it for two summers, so we had plenty of practice using it. And the PA was fun for the first couple of times we used it, then I started to kinda feel like a tool using it. Plus if you ever have kids on the boat they all want to scream into it at the top of their lungs.

Sorta like Mr. Microphone:

The exile zld looks like a really nice unit in comparison. Big easy knobs, simple operation. That would be my choice for an EQ if I were buying new now.

Edited by shawndoggy

I'm running 2 pairs with a Sin 4 to each pair. I did not use the G3 brackets. they are being mounted to the main hhorizontal bar above the bimini. picking up the boat saturday and can post picks then. +1 for the 420! i have ran one with 2 different systems and they are worth every penny.

Night Rider, why did you choose to mount them on the horizontal bar vs the bracket? For the REV10's are their SS grills or do they all come standard?

Night Rider, why did you choose to mount them on the horizontal bar vs the bracket? For the REV10's are their SS grills or do they all come standard?

They all come with a glued on piece of stainless applique. It's like a stainless steel sticker. It's not structural.

• Like 1

I had a ws420 in my old boat and I won't be signing up for another. It's a great idea (two EQ's in one! And a PA!) but I don't like the functionality and I always felt like I needed tweezers to independently control the volume of the tower and cabin zones. Had it for two summers, so we had plenty of practice using it. And the PA was fun for the first couple of times we used it, then I started to kinda feel like a tool using it. Plus if you ever have kids on the boat they all want to scream into it at the top of their lungs.

Sorta like Mr. Microphone:

The exile zld looks like a really nice unit in comparison. Big easy knobs, simple operation. That would be my choice for an EQ if I were buying new now.

I usually agree with ole Shawndoggy, but gonna have to disagree with him on this statement. The WS 420 IMO, is awesome, it works great, and I have never felt I needed tweezers to control tower and inboat zones with there controls. I have taught quite a few kids and adults with the microphone, its nice to be able to coach them while they are learning. It has definitely eliminated many faceplants by being able to communicate with the rider while they are behind the boat. If people think I am a tool using it, who really cares, I guess I am getting old enough to really care less what people think about me. I have two other friends who also are using the WS420 and love it, I think Shawn is the exception to the rule when it comes to not raving about the 420. He is the first I have ever heard saying anything negative about it.

Nothing personal Shawn, to each is own of course :) Cheers....

I usually agree with ole Shawndoggy, but gonna have to disagree with him on this statement. The WS 420 IMO, is awesome, it works great, and I have never felt I needed tweezers to control tower and inboat zones with there controls. I have taught quite a few kids and adults with the microphone, its nice to be able to coach them while they are learning. It has definitely eliminated many faceplants by being able to communicate with the rider while they are behind the boat. If people think I am a tool using it, who really cares, I guess I am getting old enough to really care less what people think about me. I have two other friends who also are using the WS420 and love it, I think Shawn is the exception to the rule when it comes to not raving about the 420. He is the first I have ever heard saying anything negative about it.

Nothing personal Shawn, to each is own of course :) Cheers....

LOL, no worries. I understand that there are people who like it. Cheers.gif

I just got a new WS240 and not overly impressed.

1. It needs a line driver. Its 2012. This is 5 yr old technology. For it not to put out a true 6 volts or better is weak. It puts out truly 3-4 volts at best.... so you still gotta have you gains up higher than what i'd like. as a result you still get a little hiss on your tower speakers to gain them up till they are powered well.

2. No ability to fade out cabin speakers and run ONLY the Tower speakers with sub. you turn down the master volume and the sub goes down with it. Not impressed with that oversight. In party cove I dont even use the cabin speakers. its not a true independent 3 zone operation. cabin and sub channels are linked. You could trick the whole setup and gain out the cabins to get that effect, but thats lame. Should be true easy 3 zone control.

3. The Eq is horrible. chooses 4 very distinct bands.... adjust any of the 4 bands much from the center setting, and you'll have violent descrete spikes in your frequency response. its not a smooth hump... but a sharp spike in a very narrow freq adjustment. ya great there is an EQ on there, but adjust any of the knobs much from those center settings and your music sounds like crap. Wasted feature not thought out or designed well, only wasting space a driving the cost up.

Now I understand why the Exile product markets itself as a SQ device, I will likely be changing over to the Exile one shortly.

I have the Rev10s and they exceed all expectations. Not to overly hype everything up, 1 pair of Rev10s on a true 300-350watts is so loud and so well balanced I would not have believed it if I didnt hear it for myself.

1. It needs a line driver. Its 2012. This is 5 yr old technology. For it not to put out a true 6 volts or better is weak. It puts out truly 3-4 volts at best.... so you still gotta have you gains up higher than what i'd like. as a result you still get a little hiss on your tower speakers to gain them up till they are powered well.

2. No ability to fade out cabin speakers and run ONLY the Tower speakers with sub. you turn down the master volume and the sub goes down with it. Not impressed with that oversight. In party cove I dont even use the cabin speakers. its not a true independent 3 zone operation. cabin and sub channels are linked. You could trick the whole setup and gain out the cabins to get that effect, but thats lame. Should be true easy 3 zone control.

3. The Eq is horrible. chooses 4 very distinct bands.... adjust any of the 4 bands much from the center setting, and you'll have violent descrete spikes in your frequency response. its not a smooth hump... but a sharp spike in a very narrow freq adjustment. ya great there is an EQ on there, but adjust any of the knobs much from those center settings and your music sounds like crap. Wasted feature not thought out or designed well, only wasting space a driving the cost up.

Now I understand why the Exile product markets itself as a SQ device, I will likely be changing over to the Exile one shortly.

I have the Rev10s and they exceed all expectations. Not to overly hype everything up, 1 pair of Rev10s on a true 300-350watts is so loud and so well balanced I would not have believed it if I didnt hear it for myself.

I'd already forgotten about the sub/tower issue, which was also a gripe of mine. And the aux input is undergained too. I've got the cheapo clarion EQ and like it a lot more.

Ryan, I think you and I think a lot alike on this kind of stuff and I for one really appreciate your "outside of the brand" thinking on your install. No reason to limit yourself to one brand of anything... rather pick the best (or in my case, bang for the buck) tools for the job.

Just a quick note about EQs. Some will have a six-channel discrete output with three sets of stereo OP amps. The internal factory gain settings may limit the input sensitivity but not nesessarily the headroom.

Other platforms may use a single stereo 7 volt max OP amp for the front and rear outputs that run through a two-input/four-output pot which acts as a passive fader and splits the available pre output in half to each zone. The resistive pot consumes some of that potential voltage as well.

Until you compare the internal topologies you can't hang your hat on specs alone. That 7 volt output may be divided by two in reality.

I'm not disputing any observations about how individuals use or percieve one product or another. I just wanted to add this point into the analysis.

David

I agree on the three zone capability, this would be a nice option to have.... and that is a complaint I also have about the 420. Good point, I forgot about this, and I have noticed it a few times wanting to just listen to the Tower speakers and Sub only. Being able to control all three seperately would be a nice upgrade.

Fman,

Place a PAC LC-1 (and perhaps a 6" RCA cable) on the output of the in-boat zone and in route to the amplifier. Turn down the in-boat zone on the LC-1. Then turn up the in-boat zone control on the EQ which will now only impact the subwoofer output. And, you can still dial up or down the in-boats at will. Due to the internal design associated with separate tower and in-boat equalization you have to sum the independent bass EQ with one zone or the other. Wouldn't it be odd if you summed the sub with the tower zone at the exclusion of the in-boat zone? So presently this comes with the territory if you want a dual zone EQ (not a dual zone controller). But if you want both provisions just add the LC-1.

David

2 pairs, really? all I can say is holy c%$#. I was in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and stopped by Earmark to listen to the rev 10s, they were sweet, but I can't imagine how loud 2 pair would be, that's awesome.

I was playing with the 420 yesterday, if you turn down bass, mid, highs on the inboat speakers it will mute about 80% of the sound. This will allow you to hear tower speakers and subwoofer with very little sound coming out the inboat speakers.