Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stinking Theives!

ffdawg

The storage building where a friend and I have stored our boats during the winter for the past several years was broken into last week and both our boats stripped. I was finally able to go get the boat (3 hours away) yesterday and bring it home. Amps, speakers, batteries, fat sacks, pumps, ropes, vests, wetsuits all gone. They even took the anodized air filter off my motor and the license plate off my trailer. It doesn't look like they purposely vandalized the boat at all, but were obviously smoking while they worked cause there are burn marks in my carpeting and ash everywhere. I was hoping they might've done a clean enough job that I wouldn't have to re-wire everything, but hell no. They cut everything - battery cables, speaker wires, rca cables. They tore out my fuse block and took the perko switch, too. It all has to be re-wired. Oh, and they tore a big hole in my Evolution cover. I'm pissed!

At least my two new pair of Exile tower speakers (SXT 65Q) and my JL sub in the rhino-lined ported box weren't in the boat. What a pain in the arse this is going to be! It is insured as an addition to my homeowner's policy, though, and hopefully will all be covered. Insurance adjuster is coming out next week to see it.

I've never dealt with this before, so any advice would be much appreciated! I'm also going to be replacing my amps, in-boat speakers, and possibly head unit. I like the sound of the Exile's I've heard and since I have them for the tower, am thinking about going with them for in-boat speakers as well. I'll need an amp for the JL 10W3 sub, one for the 4 tower Exile's, and another for the 4-6 in-boat speakers (brand unknown yet). Recomendations????

Man, waking up Sunday morning reading this pisses me off. I can only imagine how you must feel! Rewiring everything and the ash in the boat would upset me more than the stuff missing, it can be replaced.

Sorry to hear of this!

ffdawg- thats a crappy situation, good luck with the insurance and the repairs - if you're out of commission for too long and need a pull - let me know, we're in the south sound.

Look for your stuff on Craig's list, and show up with a shot gun! Sorry to hear that....

:plus1: If you have your serial numbers recorded you can easly get a convection of selling stolen goods. Not to mention get to address the individual in court.

Man that really sucks. This is the one thing I really worry about with our dry storage also. I will be going out to mine in a couple weeks. Every year I just hope nothing has happened.

Our house was broke into a year ago. We had serial numbers on a lot of the items stolen but nothing ever came from it. My wife's purse was in the house so they took checks and credit cards also. With that they had pictures of the people using our checks and cards but still no one arrested. They also had pictures of the thieves using our cards to get gas. I am pretty sure they didn't have a CSI team investigating the incident even though the dollar amount was quite significant.

The insurance Company was a pain to deal with. We came out just OK but it was a huge hassle and a ton of work.

I would recommend the following to everyone here. Take pictures of everything of value that you own and keep them somewhere safe (including pictures of the stuff in your boat). You aren't going to have receipts for most of these items if they are stolen so the pictures will make it much easier with your insurance company. It will also help you remember what you had prior to some A-hole taking it from you. These days pictures are easy with digital cameras. The pictures dont have to be perfect, just put them on a USB stick and leave it at work. After you take the pictures review your policy to make sure everything is covered. If you aren't sure about coverage bring the pictures to your insurance agent and go over them with the agent. Jewelry is an item that you probably have more of than you think especially if you are over 40, it adds up fast and most policies have a fairly low limit, that is also one of the first items thieves will take. Don't ask me how I know!

I feel for your loss. I hate thieves and really hope they end up being caught.

Whats the dry storage locations policy? Have you asked the staff because it sounds like it couldve been an inside job or that someone had tacit knowledge of the place? Was it broken into or are they able to simply walk in? Security cameras? Neighboring businesses seen anything?

I had mine broken into at the dealership... usually lives in my garage. I had the dealer work with the insurance company directly so I didn't need to be a middle man...that is where the pain happens. Dealer did all the work and moved the boat to all the required offsite shops for stereo etc. I just went to the dealer at the end to pick it up.

If you have your wiring impacted... this is a dealer only resolution IMHO... my total claim was about $8000.00 and the stereo was less than half of it...there was a lot of hours for the dealer to redo wiring etc.

Good luck with the resolution.

Man, waking up Sunday morning reading this pisses me off. I can only imagine how you must feel! Rewiring everything and the ash in the boat would upset me more than the stuff missing, it can be replaced.

Sorry to hear of this!

I'm with you, sitting here on Sunday getting pissed just reading this. We all work so hard for the "good things in life" only to have some sh@# heads take it away from us. I will be very curious how your insurance deals with it. Please let us know the outcome - and who you insure though, just so we can all do a "sanity check" with our plans. Sorry to hear for your loss - it is truely heart wrenching!

Security cameras on the business across the street didn't pick up anything. There was a metal man-door on the side of the building with a door handle lock, dead bolt, and a large hardened padlock on it. It looks like they took a crow bar or pry bar to it and basically tore out the dead bolt and broke the hasp the padlock was on. The boat was listed as a separate item on my homeowner's policy with Country Mutual Ins Co. I've never had a this type of claim before but they've always been good the couple times I've used them for an auto claim over the years. Like I said, the adjuster is coming out this coming week to look at it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will update the progress as an fyi. Thanks for the thoughts.

Stinks. Thieves are just the lowest life form. No alarm on the storage facility?? Sounds like they had all the time in the world. Not sure how your insurances company works, hopefully they won't jack you with higher premiums in the future.

That sucks and I hate to say it, but that sounds like another boater who is responsible for that or at least someone who knows about wakeboard boats. Most people who do those types of crimes just grab anything that looks expensive, so amps and speakers I can understand. But when you factor in into it that they took the fat sacks, pumps and things like battery switches, most people wouldn't even know where to find those let alone know what they are and that they are valuable. BSUBU is right on target, the only way you have a chance of ever recovering stolen items is to have the serials or have it marked distinctively in some other way, and make sure you make a police report not just report it to the insurance co. Good luck with everything

Sorry to hear it. Thieves suck! Had a kayak stolen off my truck once. I made a police report with little hope. A week later the officer was on a search warrant/ drug raid and found a ton of stolen property, including my boat. Three were convicted! Got lucky that time, because it would not have been covered. Here's hoping the thieves that stripped your boat get caught ASAP!

Update: Insurance adjuster was out today to take a look and, according to him, I will be fully covered for everything. That is all at replacement cost and with full labor. Great news! I have a feeling they'll be shocked at the amount it's gonna cost to replace/repair everything, but since the boat is on my homeowner's policy I have up to the full amount that they cover all the contents of my home for. Time to get it in and get it ready for the season!

Twice the guy asked me about how much "fishing" stuff I had on board. It cracks me up that people look at boats like these and think fishing, but I swear I get a question like that at least once per year. Last year at a gas station I had a guy ask me if I had caught my limit of crab that day and what I bait my pots with. .

i think you may be shocked about the increase in your homeowners premium next year. Hopefully it won't increase it too much

Been there and done that....NEVER EVER make a claim on your homeowners policy unless it is absolutely necessary.

Edited by Murphy8166

If you can't use insurance, what's the point of having it? Growing up we had some significant claims on our auto insurance (one over 14k) and the rates never changed.

Serial numbers are very important in catching the people. I can tell you as an officer, we stop tons of shady people every day. I HATEEEEEEEEEEEE thieves with a passion and love catching them with stolen property, or better yet in the act (both felonies). When you file a police report, make sure everything you list is in detail and has serial numbers. These get input into a database so when we stop these shady people who have a trunk full/backpack full/car full of stuff that probably doesnt belong to them, we run the serial numbers to make sure the stuff isnt stolen. If we get a hit on something...BINGO...arrest, confession to possibly more stolen stuff and other peoples property.

I know several people who have had their stuff stolen while keeping their boats in storage. I would like to have a 23lsv but it will not fit in my garage and I refuse to keep it in storage, hence the reason getting a VLX.

Good luck with you claim bro.

This is so unfortunate to hear. Sorry to hear about this. Stealing makes me angry, but what I have no tolerance for is when they wreck stuff in the process. If you want to steal stereos, speakers, etc go nuts. When you start ripping things out and ripping vinyl, getting burn marks in the carpet, RIPPING an evolution cover, i mean cmon people. I mean what, they couldn't figure out how to get it off so they cut it or what? It has buckles on the back! and a big draw string! It's not that hard to figure out..

Well anyway I hope it all turns out for you in the end. If it were me I would use my insurance in this instance and have a dealer handle everything. Not just from the work standpoint but I couldn't imagine spending MY time to fix problems that some other dink made when lifting MY stuff. From an emotional standpoint it would probably drive me to take anger out on those around me because I'd be so mad about it.