Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thought I Had Vapor Lock Issues Now Not So Sure

Lazy Johnson

Was out today a beautiful 82 degrees. After three long pulls stopped at the beach for a brat. The boat wouldn't start. Actually it would start sputter and die. I was plages by this last year took it to the dealer multiple times 1200 later no fix. I do not believe it to be vapor lock anymore. But now I am totally lost I was told I should replace the ECM. any ideas?

Was out today a beautiful 82 degrees. After three long pulls stopped at the beach for a brat. The boat wouldn't start. Actually it would start sputter and die. I was plages by this last year took it to the dealer multiple times 1200 later no fix. I do not believe it to be vapor lock anymore. But now I am totally lost I was told I should replace the ECM. any ideas?

Sure sounds like the classic vapor lock systems. I would call SKIDIM and talk over your sysmptoms with them to see if they agree. They offer a kit that solves the issue. I would imagine the kit could be put together for less money if you found a parts list and fabricated a bracket on your own.

I struggled with the exact symptoms years ago, and started blocking the engine cover with a 2x4 and running the blower when stopping for extended periods on warm/hot days. I realize that is easier with my direct drive.

SKIDIM fuel pump kit

Had similar issues and replaced everything I could think of that would was related to starting. Still no luck, I even monitored fuel pressure on the rails and got some really strange readings. Finally installed the extra fuel pump vapor lock kit from ski dim thinking what a waste of time and money. Ran all of last season with no starting issues. It never let me down. These kits are not cheap but if they fix a nagging problem like vapor well worth the money.

How can it vapor lock at 82 degrees also it seems this problem is getting worse. The first year I had the boat it only happened twice on above 100 degree days then the next year it happened about five times all high 90's now 82. I also ran the fan all day due to the local dealership telling me my problem was not running the fan.

A sunny 82 degree day is sufficient in my mind...especially when you consider how hot it us under your hatch in the engine compartment. Does the engine sputter and die a few times, and then eventually clear itself out and run normally?

It's additional ethanol in the fuel. Are you gassing up at the same place each time? Check their ethanol level. Try using the Stabil additive that counteracts ethanol.

Your issue sounds classic.

Steve B.

It does sputter and die but after I got it running and had it in neutral got a boarder out there and started to go sputter die. Just like that then let it cool down again and got the skier in and it ran fine got to the trailer died again at idol an wouldn't do any thing but sputter die

MalibuNation

It's additional ethanol in the fuel. Are you gassing up at the same place each time? Check their ethanol level. Try using the Stabil additive that counteracts ethanol.

Your issue sounds classic.

Steve B.

:plus1:

Never had vapor lock until they increased the level of ethanol in the mix.

I am not sure what motor you have but I had the same issue last year. It sputtered and died. It cooled down than eventually restarted. It ended up being the ignition coil that is known to be a problem with the older Checy trucks. I replaced it for $30 from Autozone and did not have that problem for the rest of the summer. I have a 94 Echelon 350 Magnum. You might look at that also.

I took off the spark arestor and could see it dropping fuel. I eliminated vapor lock as the issue. Good luck.

I am not sure what motor you have but I had the same issue last year. It sputtered and died. It cooled down than eventually restarted. It ended up being the ignition coil that is known to be a problem with the older Checy trucks. I replaced it for $30 from Autozone and did not have that problem for the rest of the summer. I have a 94 Echelon 350 Magnum. You might look at that also.

I took off the spark arestor and could see it dropping fuel. I eliminated vapor lock as the issue. Good luck.

Is that an electronic ignition type coil? I'd like to replace mine too. Where is it located? I looked around once for it, but never really found it.

Thanks in advance,

Steve B.

I had a similar issue with my old boat. I even went to the extreme of installing a secondary fuel pump rite at the fuel tank. I was also told it was because of the new ethanol fuels. needless to say i was left stranded an hr off shore the first outting after the new fuel pump.

At that time I got real determined to figure out the issue by process of elimination on the beach with a cold beer to help.

Heres what I found. The fuel supply line is connected to a "T" directly off the top of the tank. that "T" has a ball inside it. (When the fuel pump is on, the ball moves allowing fuel to pass, the second the pump is off, the ball moves back preventing the fuel line from emptying itself back into the tank) My ball inside the "T" was randomly sticking. I removed the "T" was able to remove the ball with a hammer and screwdriver. I owned the boat for 2 summers after that and was never left stranded again. Every once in a while, when starting the boat, it did take a minuite of turning over to start because the fuel had returned back to the tank.

Hope this helps.

It does sputter and die but after I got it running and had it in neutral got a boarder out there and started to go sputter die. Just like that then let it cool down again and got the skier in and it ran fine got to the trailer died again at idol an wouldn't do any thing but sputter die

That does not sound like vapor lock. Vapor lock typically happens when a hot engine sits for a while and the fuel in the line between the fuel pump and tank gets too hot and vaporizes. The pump cannot pump the vapor and therefore the engine does not get fuel, causing it to die. Once the fuel line cools and fuel enters the pump and engine it should run fine until it sits for a while again.

martinarcher

Same symptoms and same solution on my boat. Changing your coil would be worth a try. Heck....$30 is worth saving one day of frustration on the lake IMO.

• 4 months later...

Is that an electronic ignition type coil? I'd like to replace mine too. Where is it located? I looked around once for it, but never really found it.

Thanks in advance,

Steve B.

It is located by the distributor. Go to Autozone and look up an ignition coil for a 1994 Checy 350 truck to see what it looks like. They are identical. The mechanic at Autozone agreed that they tend to get hot and shut you down. Once they cool off they work fine. It is often confused with vapor lock.

I am not sure if a real mechanic would recommend this but I took off the spark arrestor, turned the key on and watched it drop fuel. That is how I eliminated vapor lock and fuel pump issues.

Thanks in advance,

Steve B.

Grab the wire that goes to the center of your distributor. Follow that wire to the other end of it. That other end plugs into your coil.