Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just Had Dual 12S Installed Under Helm.

Iron gator

Just had my stereo installed professionally, and I have a set of dual 12s under the helm with 1200 watts driving them. When I have the system turned up all the way, I noticed a huge amount of vibration in the dash. Is this ok for the electronics, maliview system etc? I don't want to damage stuff with all of this vibration.

Just had my stereo installed professionally, and I have a set of dual 12s under the helm with 1200 watts driving them. When I have the system turned up all the way, I noticed a huge amount of vibration in the dash. Is this ok for the electronics, maliview system etc? I don't want to damage stuff with all of this vibration.

Have any pictures??? was thinking of doing this also!

martinarcher

It comes with the territory. Heat and vibration are what can kill electronics. If you put that much low end power under the dash your obviously going to vibrate things pretty extremely. Most well built electronics can take a good amount of vibration, but at some point they will fail. We do a lot of testing of ruggedized electronics at work and the vibration table and the temp chamber are what separates the men from the boys in a good quality device.

I've got 1kW going to my sub and it vibrated my dash pretty good. Could it kill my Perfect Pass or other gauges...sure, but I guess it's a risk you have to take if you want a boat that bumps. Biggrin.gif

The subs are side by side in a sealed box behind the kick panel, they face forward and down at about a 45 degree angle. The kick panel covers about 3/4 of the opening under the helm.

Iron gater,

I would call what you described as direct radiating. You should have less dash vibration the way you have it versus other methods of loading.

You can go to work on the dash to minimize sympathetic dash resonance and vibration. Felt, foam inserts, silicon, etc.

But I also have to wonder if there are reasons for more dash resonance than is necessary in your case related to over-driving into distortion, tuning issues, equalization, lack of subsonic filter use, wrong crossover point, whether the enclosure is perfectly airtight, the type of music you are playing, etc.

Since we can't hear it the assessment will have to be between you and your installer. I can tell you this though. Pushing the subs and sub amplifier right up to their maximum capacity causes distortion. And distortion creates an inordinate amount of vibration.

David

Iron gator - I would say this comes with he territory has been mentioned by many. Reviewing the alignment, direct radiating or sealed, or down firing etc, at this point is probably in hindsight at best. Unless you want to redo it. Then by all means different enclosures are going to react in different ways with respect to vibration.

At this point, I'd look at seeing what you can do to eliminate vibration with some spray form, or even close cell foam chunks strategically placed in your dash. I've seen many helms reduce vibration in this manner. I'd also agree with Martin that for the most part this comes with the territory of placing a sub in the helm area.

-Brian