Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim Deck

mickeymannel

hello everyone. i have a 2001 malibu and i want to redo the swim deck any ideas on what to use on trhe wood. and i also am looking for the spring assembly to my manual wwedge..

Easiest and most readily available would be go to Walmart, Academy, etc. and get the teak 3 part restoration kit. Comes with a cleaner, restorer, and teak oil.

Sure there are several threads about it on here.

I'm restoring my platform as we speak (just took a break from sanding). I am following the directions from this thread. On post #5 MartinArcher gives a step by step guide. So far it is working great!

Edited by msuwaterski

I restoring my platform as we speak (just took a break from sanding). I am following the directions from this thread. On post #5 MartinArcher gives a step by step guide. So far it is working great!

MSU - what grits of sand paper are you using, and in what order?

MSU - what grits of sand paper are you using, and in what order?

I started with a quick once over with 180 grit sandpaper by hand. Then I went to 220 grit with an orbital and did a very thorough sanding. Finishing today with 400 grit by hand.

EDIT: after cleaning off and wiping down the platform I decided not to sand with 400 grit. 220 grit got it plenty smooth and I am afraid if I used 400 it would be way too slippery when wet.

Edited by msuwaterski

I started with a quick once over with 180 grit sandpaper by hand. Then I went to 220 grit with an orbital and did a very thorough sanding. Finishing today with 400 grit by hand.

EDIT: after cleaning off and wiping down the platform I decided not to sand with 400 grit. 220 grit got it plenty smooth and I am afraid if I used 400 it would be way too slippery when wet.

Thanks MSU....make sure to post pictures when complete!! :thumbup:

Also, clean/brush out with BRASS wool before applying oil/finish. Regular steel wool will leave little hairs that will rust. The wool will pull the dust out after the last sanding.

I have a 2002 Sunsetter LXI and I just got done doing my teak swim platform with Teak Guard. It looks the best it ever has and is suppose to last a full year. The kit comes with teak cleaner, brushes, bronze wool, and teak sealer. All for about $40.00

I redid mine and sanded with 150 grit and it is still so slick its dangerous! There are better options then re-oiling, unless you like doing it every 3 weeks, and risk the chance of tracking it into the boat.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm restoring my platform as we speak (just took a break from sanding). I am following the directions from this thread. On post #5 MartinArcher gives a step by step guide. So far it is working great!

This is my newly restored platform. Aint she purdy? I just followed MartinArcher's step by step process and suggested products outlined in the link above. Thanks Matt!

DSC03432.jpg

Edited by msuwaterski

This is my newly restored platform. Aint she purdy? I just followed MartinArcher's step by step process and suggested products outlined in the link above. Thanks Matt!

DSC03432.jpg

WOW, one of the best I've seen! :surprised:

EDIT- Do you collect gas cans?

Edited by srintx

WOW, one of the best I've seen! :surprised:

EDIT- Do you collect gas cans?

I do collect gas cans, and I am really happy that I filled them all up last fall. I'm half tempted to sell them all for a nice profit right now.