Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carpet Cleaning

Not sure what the consensus is, but on my SSLX I used a hose, carpet cleaner, a brush and then the pressure washer. Really helped bring some spring back to the flat spots and remove the traffic patterns and lines around the engine cover.

I may have to do the same thing. Little scary about pressure washing. My question is, do you take a wet vac to it afterwards. If so, ha, I gotta buy one.

Steve B.

You can keep the pressure washer on a fanned setting on the tip so it's not concentrated. The point is to separate the carpet fibers, not obliterate them :lol: . I've done it with a hose before as well, also works. A wet vac is a must after, but I've used a carpet cleaner as well. Either way get that water up and get it dry ASAP or it's a stinky mofo.

I have regularly used a pressure washer (3000 PSI) on my RLXi for the last 5 years. It is about the best way I have found to keep your carpet clean and the fibers/pile standing up. Foot traffic will mat it down over time but PW and using a mild detergent really helps.

Don't have the end of the PW too close to the carpet, about 6-8" away works great for me. Always wet vac afterwards to pick up as much water as possible then completely air dry useing a fan if the boat is in an enclosed area.

Edited by BuFootin

We pressure wash about 10-12 inches from the carpet. Then hit it with a very stiff brush to "PUFF" up the carpet. A wet vac works well, but we just put the boat on a steep incline and let the water drain out of the back.

I had a 2005 LSV that had carpet everywhere and pressure washed every year. Never had an issue.

Edited by gSm

I may have to do the same thing. Little scary about pressure washing. My question is, do you take a wet vac to it afterwards. If so, ha, I gotta buy one.

Steve B.

As said, I used a wet/dry vac, but also a nice sunny day. Nothing better than sunshine to dry it quick.

i am in the middle of detailing the BU and noticed the rugs have some foot trafic stains. How does eveyone clean them? can i just preasure wash them?

I have used the Bissell with great success, easy and light with great results. My last boat was in near showroom condition when I sold it, did the carpets a couple times a season with it.... used it last season on my VLX and carpets look brand new. About $100 purchase....

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

I may have to get one of those. Looks handy to have around in general anyway. Besides.....I'm not real fond of taking a powerwasher to the inside of my boat. I know it works for others and I have done it on the pontoon, but have no plans to do so on the Bu.

I have a little green. Works well! Either the pressure washer or the little green will work!

I've never gone the pressure washer route myself, and have always used the little green with great success. I must admit though - you are on your hands and knees for a long time with the little green, so a pressure washer sounds a bit intriguing........

Just pressure washer? or do you add some type of cleaning agent?

I pull in the car wash and hit it with the hot soapy water. Then I rinse until suds are gone. I follow with a good vacuum and stand the pile up with a brush. Then I put a couple of fans in and dry it out. It's beautiful for about 1-2 trips, then it's matted down again.:mad:

I bought my '94 in '08, and the prior owner never cleaned the carpet more than with a vaccum. I sprayed it with Shout and a scrub brush. Rinsed, then scrubbed it again with no soap. It took a lot to get that detergent out. Now every year I use dish soap and the same scrub brush (18" handle), and hot water if available. Shop vac if available.

• 2 months later...

I bought my bu last year and it was well used, the carpet was filthy. I power washed it last year with little impact and I was seriously considering recarpeting it. Well, this weekend, I was surfing and the guy driving the boat dunked it good and he said that the water was very dirty after sloshing around. This got me thinking about another approach. Today I stole all my wife's carpet cleaning solution and mixed it up in the hottest water I could get. I dumped about 15 gallons in the boat and then just started the wetvac in a scrubbing motion. The heat and cleaning solution did what the power washer did not. I repeated this 4 times with less water needed after the initial soaking and the last 2 times were just water. It was amazing how dirty the water each time and even though I never got clear water in the end, the carpet looks amazing compared to what I started with.