Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking For A Sunsetter Lxi But Found A 2002 Wakesetter Lxi

skaha10

I finally decided which boat to get... a 2000-2004 Sunsetter LXI. I primarliy slalom but want something I can wakeboard and maybe surf too. I came across a mint 2002 Wakesetter LXI. I have read that this is the same as the SSLXi... does anyone have any more insight. I don't want to get it and find out it sucks for slalom skiing. This would be my first Malibu but I have skiied behind a 2000 SSLXI and I loved it.

The SSLXI is a great slalom boat. I've run the course with this boat w/o any issue but you know that already have skied behind one. With a sack in the ski locker and the wedge it'll put out an intermediate wake. The least ability for this boat is surfing. It can be done but going rope less takes more practice and the sweet spot is narrow. The rear 18 cu. Ft. trunk is ideal to store all the gear.

According to the specifications listed in the Resources/diy on this site (Top Right) those boats are the same hull. Then brochure is there to so you could browse the two for the differences.

If you are looking for a slalom boat the SSLXI is way better then the WSLXI. I ski both and to get into the class of wake on the WSlxi you need to run 36mph and go 38 off. It is not comparable. I don't think I could tell you witch boat I was behind if I were blindfolded between the Rlxi and the SSlxi. We do ski at 36 most of the time some 34mph and we ski 36 off so it may be less notable at other speeds and rope lengths but I can not see it getting any better!

I ski behind 99 & 03 SSlxi 05 &07 Rlxi and 03 CC196 three or more times a week. Also ski MC 190 & 197 at times I don't think the WSlxi is in the same class as any of the boats we ski.

One of my ski bud's has the 02 WSlxi it works out good for him he only pulls 2 or 3 times a year. He rides and skis with us 2 or more times a week. His fuel bill is a tad smaller. :whistle:

If you are looking for a slalom boat the SSLXI is way better then the WSLXI. I ski both and to get into the class of wake on the WSlxi you need to run 36mph and go 38 off. It is not comparable. I don't think I could tell you witch boat I was behind if I were blindfolded between the Rlxi and the SSlxi. We do ski at 36 most of the time some 34mph and we ski 36 off so it may be less notable at other speeds and rope lengths but I can not see it getting any better!

I ski behind 99 & 03 SSlxi 05 &07 Rlxi and 03 CC196 three or more times a week. Also ski MC 190 & 197 at times I don't think the WSlxi is in the same class as any of the boats we ski.

One of my ski bud's has the 02 WSlxi it works out good for him he only pulls 2 or 3 times a year. He rides and skis with us 2 or more times a week. His fuel bill is a tad smaller. :whistle:

You sure about that? I thought the only difference was the WSLXI had ballast and different graphics, other than that it was the same hull. :unsure:

Thanks for the input. Sixball, are you sure your friends boat is an LXI? I think they only made the wakesetter LXI in 2002... but I thought that it was literally exactly the same boat as the SSLXI with the options and graphics package?

Thanks for the input. Sixball, are you sure your friends boat is an LXI? I think they only made the wakesetter LXI in 2002... but I thought that it was literally exactly the same boat as the SSLXI with the options and graphics package?

Wow no you have me wondering! I know its a 2002 but could it be just a wakesetter with Launch system? :blush: I will walk down tomorrow and check it out.

The diamond v23 hull was a very good ride on the SSlxi.

I think the wakesetter had higher gunwales it seams a lot deeper? He also has a tower but I would not think that would change the weigh enough to make the wake so noticeable.

Ive heard great things about the SSLXI for slalom, that is why I want that boat.... on the specs page of this site it lists the WSLXI as having the same hulll (SV23 Diamond). I just wanted to make sure, I don't want to buy it and find out it sucks for slalom or has the wake hull or something. :cry: I can't find any 2000-2003 SSLXI's in my area yet.

Based on what you described as your skiing and boarding habits the SSLxi is the only way to go. My family is the exact same as you and we could not be happier with our '01SSLxi. We are slalom skiers at heart and the slalom wake is dreamy, we board when we are board and with the wedge, tower and MLS the wake is good, and we surf when there are too many people in the boat to do anything else. The SSLxi does it all, and very well at that!

skaha I think you are going to have to actually ski behind any boat you are interested in. You sound specific in what you want, so just to make sure, really try and ski one.

On another note, I thought the wakesetter was a v drive, on the same hull as the SS. No?

Steve B.

What is your location skaha10 ? Maybe some of the crew can point you to a SSlxi. I just looked at my dealers inventory but nothing. I am not to surprised,

my dealer said he has a standing order if he gets one and wants to move it give this guy a call and he will come up and get it. msuwaterski is on the money!

I counted 7 for sale on craigslist between OK, TX, LA, and MO. From 2000-2003. Depending on where your at, there are plenty nice ones out there but you may have to travel.

(I have a Malibu boat search set up on my phone for all states within decent driving distance)

I counted 7 for sale on craigslist between OK, TX, LA, and MO. From 2000-2003. Depending on where your at, there are plenty nice ones out there but you may have to travel.

(I have a Malibu boat search set up on my phone for all states within decent driving distance)

Plus1.gif I had to drive 9 hours for my SSLxi. They are not as readily available as other models, but worth the road trip.

Well thanks in large part to this site and the great resource section I found out that the boat I almost bought is in fact a Wakesetter not a WSLXI as advertised!! Big difference because the non-LXI version is on a Wake hull not a Diamond! So glad I found this site!!! In the 2002 Brochure I was able to note a couple slight differences in the look of the boat and finally figured out why.

I am in Penticton BC, Canada. The season is still a month or 2 away so maybe more will pop up for sale soon. msuwaterski... thanks for confirming my decision! great to get input from an SSLXI owner! So far I have found a 2004 which is just out of my price range and a 1997 which is nice buy I want a fuel injected engine so I think 2000 and up?

Thanks for the help!

sixball, that boat on Ski it again is perfect!!!! I would buy that today if it were within driving distance! That one is 2200 miles from me :( and I'm not sure about importing cost or tax. Be so much simpler if I could find one in BC

sixball, that boat on Ski it again is perfect!!!! I would buy that today if it were within driving distance! That one is 2200 miles from me :( and I'm not sure about importing cost or tax. Be so much simpler if I could find one in BC

Yeah, that is a super nice SSLXi. One sold a month ago in Dallas that was pristine for 17. I missed it by a day. sold on Friday and I was going on the weekend... Keep vigilant, new boats are coming on the market almost daily.

Oh $hit as others have said I was WRONG! His is a Waksetter on the wake hull I was remembering the LS on the side for launch system. I am sorry if I caused you any problems. As others have brought up this is the time boats start showing up on resale market the winter slow down is coming to an end.

So I have not skied a wakesetter lxi!

I have never bought anything this pricey long distance but it is done quite often and having a boat shipped seams to be a possibility as others on this site have and it did sound like a fair price and good service. Good luck in your quest to find the boat you wish!