Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom Ski Question

PeteOOXXOO

Hi Bu Crew. Sorry to ask what may be a dumb question, but I don't know the answer... :whistle: Having mainly wakeboarded for the last few years, I have just bought a new Slalom Ski (RADAR P-6) to get back into it on the new 3D VTX Bu (which we get this Sunday!!). My question is - what does the foil on the rear fin do? My last ski didn't have one?? Thanks in advance ;)

As Cummins said, it helps slow the ski down as you approach a turn and get weight on the front of the ski. In reality, unless you are skiing shortline, it doesn't have too much effect, and you wouldn't notice much difference if you removed it. Depending on your ability level, if you care to dabble, you might want to try the ski without it, to see if you like it better.

If to reinstall it, it is important that you get the angle of it correct (most are designed to be run between 7 and 10 degrees). If you mark the position in pencil, it would last for a bit.

Unless your running 36 mph or really short line 34 mph...take it off.

I'm running 34 mph / 28 off without a wing. The ski will accelerate easier without the added drag of the wing.

ironically, I was just reading the latest WaterskiMag interview w/ HO Syndicate designer Bob LaPoint (who knows thing or two about ski design)....he comments on the guidelines w regard to newbies....

"the first thing I would have them do is take the wing off. If you're skiing at 34 mph and below in the 15-322 off range, I recommend taking the wing off your fin. It allows the skier to feel what the ski is doing and it forces them to make it decelerate and turn and not be dependent on a wing. I think a wing hinders skiers at slower speeds , and i'd say 90% of the time it is hurting."

By the way...if you don't care to invest the $40 or so in a set of wing gauges....you can download a "paper" version of them at the bottom of the following page, and cut them out...... goode ski wing/fin page

Unless your running 36 mph or really short line 34 mph...take it off...
...Bob LaPoint..."the first thing I would have them do is take the wing off. If you're skiing at 34 mph and below in the 15-32 off range, I recommend taking the wing off your fin...

Great minds think alike. :biggrin:

:lol:

....yeah, but more importantly....can the two "great minds" ski alike?

In my mind...absolutely. :yes:

In physical reality... :unsure: ...not even close. :no:

Years ago we had Bob out to our lake for a day of lessons. He is a super cool guy with a great sarcastic sense of humor. He hung out with us afterwards for a BBQ. :beer:

ironically, I was just reading the latest WaterskiMag interview w/ HO Syndicate designer Bob LaPoint (who knows thing or two about ski design)....he comments on the guidelines w regard to newbies....

"the first thing I would have them do is take the wing off. If you're skiing at 34 mph and below in the 15-322 off range, I recommend taking the wing off your fin. It allows the skier to feel what the ski is doing and it forces them to make it decelerate and turn and not be dependent on a wing. I think a wing hinders skiers at slower speeds , and i'd say 90% of the time it is hurting."

By the way...if you don't care to invest the $40 or so in a set of wing gauges....you can download a "paper" version of them at the bottom of the following page, and cut them out...... goode ski wing/fin page

Well I think it really depends on the ski...I tried taking the wing off my 2009 Monza (which ironically Mr. LaPoint helped design) and it felt like CRAP, wiggled in my turn and would feel grabby coming out of the turn. That was just free skiing at 35mph 32 off... I put it back on and all was well. So I think the boat speed, skier style, and ski itself all have something to do with it.

Thanks crew. Appreciate the advice. Took delivery of the new Bu yesterday and had our first session - really windy though so we didn't slalom so will have to try it out next time. Will upload some photos as soon as I get Photo Bucket sorted :blush:

Well I think it really depends on the ski...I tried taking the wing off my 2009 Monza (which ironically Mr. LaPoint helped design) and it felt like CRAP, wiggled in my turn and would feel grabby coming out of the turn. That was just free skiing at 35mph 32 off... I put it back on and all was well. So I think the boat speed, skier style, and ski itself all have something to do with it.

Agreed a blanket statement to take the wing off just isn't for every situation. On my old S8 I took it off but on my new ski It just doesn't track well in the turns w/o it. That's even after playing around w/ the skeg....bottom line whatever works for ya.