Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tell Me I'm Crazy/stupid Or Price This Boat...

Asmodeus2112

You might want to check out something similar to this, may not be exactly what you want but looks like it would fit your price range and you would probably have a better feel of what you would be getting. Its one I've been watching for if my SSLXi sells, but this one will probably be gone before then I would think.

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2912452007.html

After the dealer gets the one your looking at up to test drive ability, I would see if they would let you take it somewhere to get a 2nd opinion on what it would take to get that boat fully up to par if at all possible. I am one that doesn't like surprises too much!

I did go look at this one. Beige hull with Blue. It's in pretty miserable shape. It's been on a lift for a long time without much care. Interior is almost completely gone. I doubt it's been winterized. Head unit is gone, looks like it was torn out in a theft. Bimini is in pieces. Standing water in bilge. Trailer has been sitting in a field for years and is pretty much a full redo. I couldn't test drive because the owner didn't have power at the house and couldn't put the lift down. Hull has had glass work. I've looked at quite a few boats, and the worst ones have been the ones that sit on a lift a few feet over the water and the owners seem to forget about them. When I noticed he moved the price down from 17,500 I did some math to figure what it might take to get the trailer and boat up to an acceptable level and offered him 11k. He told me to piss off and not contact him again. Fair enough...

If that's the purple one I believe he's already checked it out. I cant tell from the pics.

The purple one in El Campo is a story too. I e-mailed the owner asking for some pics to see before making the 3 hour drive. Unfortunatly the owner isn't very computer savy and could only text me a few low res pics. After a few weeks of not being able to make the trip I finally had an opportunity the first weekend of spring break. So, I called to see if he was available. He told me he turned the boat over to a dealer, and they have a lake etc. so it would be better for me to see it there. I look at the dealers hours and they are open 9-5 saturdays, so the family and I pack up and drive down to find the place locked up and closed. :badmood: Apparently the owner decided to take spring break off but it was too much trouble to put that on the website or their voicemail.... The next week I called and called, finally get through to someone. They say it's sold, but contingent on them figuring out a rudder problem. :Frustrated:

It's early, right? And this is fun! Sorta...

I'm convinced you'll be able to find a little cutie, that you can talk to the original owner and feel great about asmodeus. It's still way early in the season, and that one will be there.

Whatever you decide, my best goes out to you !

Steve B.

Ouch, this one is probably it then, says Westlake-360 for location in title). Nice to know though, I would hate to make a 8-9 hr one way trip for nothing. I did that last year early on (22 hour round trip and looked @ 3 pieces of junk).

Ouch, this one is probably it then, says Westlake-360 for location in title). Nice to know though, I would hate to make a 8-9 hr one way trip for nothing. I did that last year early on (22 hour round trip and looked @ 3 pieces of junk).

I won't drive if the owner can't take a good picture of the worst parts. I tell them I'll see them when I get there, so why waste both our time?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/2902880891.html

How is something like this?

MLI is a great dealer.

I really want a VLX, but my 2001 SSLX was a great boat. I'm looking at SSLX and SSLXi more seriously now that VLX's aren't working out so well. I've also considered a RLX, just for this season. The RLX would save me some money on gas since we're going to drag it up to WI and back.

Here are some SSLX and SSLXi I like:

98 SSLX

00 SSLXi

99 SSLX

04 SSLXi

Expensive, but nice 01 SSLXi

Pretty 00 LSV

Perfer SSLX for wake hull, but when I sold my SSLX is seemed like half the people were looking for SSLXi.

Edited by Asmodeus2112

If you look at any boats for sale in Texas that seem like they have been sitting for a while definitely put them in the water or on a fake a wake. I looked at a VLX last year that seemed perfect, until we put it in the water. We had that bad freeze a year ago and the block was busted from it. It idled perfect and had great oil pressure, until the block started to fill with water. I started calling around to all the the dealers to price a motor for it . Every dealer I talked to had at least 12 or more boats waiting for motor replacements from the freeze. It is surprising how many boats never get winterized.

One thing I have noticed is that since Texas has water this year, boats have almost doubled in asking/sale price. They could not give them away last year, but this year is a whole different story!

One thing I have noticed is that since Texas has water this year, boats have almost doubled in asking/sale price. They could not give them away last year, but this year is a whole different story!

Yeah, and the economy is better than last year as well. Still, there are quite a few boats that have been on the market for a long time. As I have seen before, the good ones go quick, usually within one to two weeks tops, but I don't think it's a sellers market quite yet.

The prop and bent tower are a weird combination....

The prop looks like the boat was dropped, as I don't see the others matching or lots of scrapes. I'm guessing it was laid on the ground or something. I've never seen a tower bent like that, not sure how that happened.

I'd offer low teens and be partially glad when he turns me down!

The prop and bent tower are a weird combination....

The prop looks like the boat was dropped, as I don't see the others matching or lots of scrapes. I'm guessing it was laid on the ground or something. I've never seen a tower bent like that, not sure how that happened.

I'd offer low teens and be partially glad when he turns me down!

Yah, good eye. That is exactly what it looks like. I asked the dealer if I could talk to the owner, but haven't heard back. I did offer 12k, plus basic work to get it on the road and in a lake. I give it about a .01% chance of being accepted. Sorta feeling closure to the mini drama.

Well, they did counter with 2k off, going from 16,995 to 14,995. + Prep fees, document fees, $150 to lake test, TTL. The emotion has worn off some, or maybe it's just Monday morning, but I think it's best to forget about this one and move on.

Well, they did counter with 2k off, going from 16,995 to 14,995. + Prep fees, document fees, $150 to lake test, TTL. The emotion has worn off some, or maybe it's just Monday morning, but I think it's best to forget about this one and move on.

I suspect they are hoping to recoup some of their original investment in the boat. Unfortunately for them......there aren't many suckers out there that would be willing to pay $15K for a boat that you can't use. Tell them your best offer is your orignal offer. If no.....spend your energy on finding the "right" boat for you. :whistle:

Edited by BuFootin

Being I have only bought used boats from individuals, I did not realize that there were charges for a lake test, is this standard? I know it is a small price to pay for a little security to male sure a boat works appropriately, but to charge for it seems a little ridiculous.

I suspect they are hoping to recoup some of their original investment in the boat. Unfortunately for them......there aren't many suckers out there that would be willing to pay $15K for a boat that you can't use. Tell them your best offer is your orignal offer. If no.....spend your energy on finding the "right" boat for you. :whistle:

Yes sir, that's what I'm doing.

Being I have only bought used boats from individuals, I did not realize that there were charges for a lake test, is this standard? I know it is a small price to pay for a little security to male sure a boat works appropriately, but to charge for it seems a little ridiculous.

Yeah, I know they gotta make their money, but on low priced boats like this there just isn't much room for another party between the owner and seller to try to make money.

Ahhh, the first one be a scam. Do they actually get people to do this?

"Hello,

Sorry for mailing you so late!

I'm glad that you're interested in my boat.The boat is in good condition, has no technical damages at all, no scratches or dents,no hidden defects.The boat has been looked after very well - washed and cleaned every two weeks. The interior is in virtually spotless condition. The seats are clean and not torn. The exterior is in excellent condition. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registered into your name at any time. There are no known problems with the boat as far as I know.

The total price is $6400 including shipping and delivery taxes to your address.

I AM SELLING UNDER THE MARKET'S VALUE BECAUSE I NEED LIQUIDITY IN ORDER TO FINISH THE HOUSE THAT I AM BUILDING.

If you are decided we are going to have a safe deal.

Please get back to me to explain you more.

I`m waiting for your reply as soon as possible.

Thank you!"

Ahhh, the first one be a scam. Do they actually get people to do this?

"Hello,

Sorry for mailing you so late!

I'm glad that you're interested in my boat.The boat is in good condition, has no technical damages at all, no scratches or dents,no hidden defects.The boat has been looked after very well - washed and cleaned every two weeks. The interior is in virtually spotless condition. The seats are clean and not torn. The exterior is in excellent condition. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registered into your name at any time. There are no known problems with the boat as far as I know.

The total price is $6400 including shipping and delivery taxes to your address.

I AM SELLING UNDER THE MARKET'S VALUE BECAUSE I NEED LIQUIDITY IN ORDER TO FINISH THE HOUSE THAT I AM BUILDING.

If you are decided we are going to have a safe deal.

Please get back to me to explain you more.

I`m waiting for your reply as soon as possible.

Thank you!"

Yeah thats a scam. :(

This one just popped up and really can't see much in picks except for the teak platform needs some attention!

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/2924014048.html

Heh, yeah, I've been txt'ing back and forth with the guy all day. Good possibility. Still would like a VLX, but doesn't seem like it's in the cards. We really liked our SSLX, so I'm sure a SSLXi would serve us well.