Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1997 Sunsetter Lx

Dunski

Well we have decided to do it. Granted we should of done it earlier in the winter but were gonna redo the boat. Trying to try and get my order in with Chee this week for the skins. I touched base with him about 4 weeks ago to get the price. He quoted back in a matter of hours. Now I can't seem to get ahold of him. Hopefully we can get that rolling this week. Also we are looking to replace the carpet. For all of you rehab guys out there were did you purchase your carpet. I have searched a few sites but just want to make sure if we do all this work it's nice plush carpet. Also doing some gel coat work to get rid of all the scratches from the last owner.

I am very open to tips before hand. Thanks

Well we have decided to do it. Granted we should of done it earlier in the winter but were gonna redo the boat. Trying to try and get my order in with Chee this week for the skins. I touched base with him about 4 weeks ago to get the price. He quoted back in a matter of hours. Now I can't seem to get ahold of him. Hopefully we can get that rolling this week. Also we are looking to replace the carpet. For all of you rehab guys out there were did you purchase your carpet. I have searched a few sites but just want to make sure if we do all this work it's nice plush carpet. Also doing some gel coat work to get rid of all the scratches from the last owner.

To my suprise, Lowes had marine carpet in stock(12 ft wide roll), but all they had was grey. That just happened to be the color i needed. I installed it last winter with some indoor/outdoor carpet glue that Lowes had. It has seen a lot of water in a year and has still held up well. I think i got like 15 linear feet and it wasn't more than 120 bucks!

I used to own a 1997 Sunsetter and did some minor carpet work with it. I went with the products made my Dorsett Industries since it was rubber backed, plush and a good color match. You will have to buy this trough a distributor. Carpeting and all that goes with it - is not a fun job. My suggestion would be to get the best carpet out there, with the best adhesive and do it once.

I picked mine up through James Propeller in Dallas, TX

http://www.dorsettind.com/subgallery.asp?SubGalleryId=20

To my suprise, Lowes had marine carpet in stock(12 ft wide roll), but all they had was grey. That just happened to be the color i needed. I installed it last winter with some indoor/outdoor carpet glue that Lowes had. It has seen a lot of water in a year and has still held up well. I think i got like 15 linear feet and it wasn't more than 120 bucks!

I also used Lowes marine carpet in my previous boat (85 Ski Supreme). I was able to special order tan for my application, and it was the same price. It certainly did the trick and lasted the 3 years until I sold the boat. Still looked brand new when I sold it.

However, it will not be as "plush" as a original Malibu carpet. As james mentioned, it is incredibly reasonable on price also.

I used to own a 1997 Sunsetter and did some minor carpet work with it. I went with the products made my Dorsett Industries since it was rubber backed, plush and a good color match. You will have to buy this trough a distributor. Carpeting and all that goes with it - is not a fun job. My suggestion would be to get the best carpet out there, with the best adhesive and do it once.

I picked mine up through James Propeller in Dallas, TX

http://www.dorsettind.com/subgallery.asp?SubGalleryId=20

Totally agree with it being a PITA. The marine carpet the Lowes sells is also rubber backed. I made sure that i had a very clean surface to work with and it adhered very well. So well that the carpet would probably separate from the rubber backing before it comes unglued from the floor.

Totally agree with it being a PITA. The marine carpet the Lowes sells is also rubber backed. I made sure that i had a very clean surface to work with and it adhered very well. So well that the carpet would probably separate from the rubber backing before it comes unglued from the floor.

I know a guy that lays carpet for a living. Paid him $50 and a case of beer. He had it finished in a couple of hours.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting someone that does carpet to do it.

I know a guy that lays carpet for a living. Paid him $50 and a case of beer. He had it finished in a couple of hours.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting someone that does carpet to do it.

And I highly recommend a case of beer. Just in general.:whistle:

Very cool. Be sure to take lots of pictures and post them here as you progress. I have the same boat and will be interested to see your progress. Fortunately for me however mine's in pretty nice shape for it's age and really needs nothing, but in a few years I'll need skins, so I'm interested to see this.

Good luck!

I will definitely post the before and after pics once we get there. And as for the case a beer I will be grabbing one once I land back in Austin tonight. Just so I can dream away about the redo.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard from Chee today. Vynil shows up at the shop tomorrow. Shouldn't be to long now. Still haven't pulled the trigger on the carpet selection. Does anyone know the weight in ounces of the carpet they use now. I ask Chee in each email where I should purchase but never got an answer. Also I think I am going to switch the color. The carpet is currently beige but I'm thinking of changing to charcoal. Any suggestions?

Heard from Chee today. Vynil shows up at the shop tomorrow. Shouldn't be to long now. Still haven't pulled the trigger on the carpet selection. Does anyone know the weight in ounces of the carpet they use now. I ask Chee in each email where I should purchase but never got an answer. Also I think I am going to switch the color. The carpet is currently beige but I'm thinking of changing to charcoal. Any suggestions?

Good news. Hard to make a color suggestion.....it's a very subjective decision. Looking forward to seeing your new interior.

• 3 weeks later...

Amy just called. The box of skins made it today. That seemed to be pretty fast. Won't be back in Austin till Friday but the pics will start coming soon. Here we go!

Wow. Looked at Chees work today. Amazing.

For those of you that have done this process. I was considering adding some new LEDs behind some of the panels while the boat is all ripped apart. Have any of you added newer more attractive lighting. Also I keep thinking it would be really cool to cut the two supports under the back seat and replace with a hard ballast tank. My only problem is then we wouldnt be able to move the seat up to the sun deck position without its supports. Anyone taken on that project?

• 2 weeks later...

Question? The floor panel that sits behind the engine cover covering up the mufflers. Anybody have any idea where I can get another one or have a good idea on replacement material. It looks to be made out of some sort or corugatted aluminum. Some how the previous owner smashed in the end of it. I don't really feel like just covering up the issue. Any ideas?