Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Charging Question

blagrata

So I got a Prosport 8 charger (wth dual bank) to refresh my batteries. I have the battery set up "3" in a newer VTX with 2 batteries. I just put the charging leads on the battery posts and didn't take off any of the other wires. Is it a problem charging the batteries that way? Will the current that runs through the system between the batteries through the boats connections mess up the charging sequence? The perko switch is in the "off" position... but I assume the batteries can still communicate with each other right? Also... if the VSR light comes on and the unit is warm.... is this to be expected? Just trying to understand this a little more. Thanks all.

You are fine it want hurt anything. You could have the switch on and that would be fine too. If you have the extra $ I would pickup this. Then you never have to touch the switch again. http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1320 For 5 more $ you could have a extra switch http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1517 What the relay does is if your house battery gets to low it will it will separate the two batteries so you can still start you boat with the starter battery.

Edited by Bradley Thornton

Just too add what I do is plug mine in under the carport and jam when I'm in the yard. The batteries will stay charged so I can get a little more $ out of my nice boat. :thumbup:

Just too add what I do is plug mine in under the carport and jam when I'm in the yard. The batteries will stay charged so I can get a little more $ out of my nice boat. :thumbup:

Brad. Thanks for the info!

My Perko has 1,2 or both batteries "on" switching. Why would you need one of those if your Perko separates the batteries? Just curious as I have never heard of that issue.

blagrata,

Okay, I think I know what you are getting at. In order for the dual bank charger to run independent profiles and charging routines on the two battery banks you need total isolation. However, a voltage sensing relay can keep the two banks combined while in storage. There is an easy way to fix this if that is the case. But I would need to see the wiring schematic for the particular VSR and battery switch that you are using presently.

David

If you stop and want to jam for a few hours. The norm is too go to only the house battery. But you paid 200$ so that both batteries would have this great res of 220min you never get your use out of your starter battery. By adding the relay now you can do less work (getting under the seat and cutting the starter battery off) and use up all the res on both batteries and still start your boat. After the volts get so low it separates for you so that the start battery can still crank the boat. I'm from MS so this is the best I can explain it. :crazy: