Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Install In Progress And Some ?'s

cstk421

Well given the fact I'm not paying 200+ for Optimus that don't have the greatest reviews and performance for the money I've given up on using the under seat area. So next thought is I may as well go for the interstate 2400's. Bobby , how often do they need to be checked / filled ? Is it a weekly check? monthly ? Is it hard to check them if they are not that visible from above ? I was thinking of putting them way in the front of the compartment as I can't really use that area anyway. Or do you suggest building some sort of enclosure with a top that I can set stuff on near the opening ? It's really difficult to figure out the best way to utilize this space !

P.S I finished running the xm9 cables and soldered / shrinked them and mounted the connection brackets. It came out nice ! Now off to san jose

for work ;(

Thanks guys

Claudio

I built a enclosure that has a srm4d and with a srm29 above it.

I then mounted one amp and charger to it and it hides the batteries and saves some room having one on top of the other.

Well given the fact I'm not paying 200+ for Optimus that don't have the greatest reviews and performance for the money I've given up on using the under seat area. So next thought is I may as well go for the interstate 2400's. Bobby , how often do they need to be checked / filled ? Is it a weekly check? monthly ? Is it hard to check them if they are not that visible from above ? I was thinking of putting them way in the front of the compartment as I can't really use that area anyway. Or do you suggest building some sort of enclosure with a top that I can set stuff on near the opening ? It's really difficult to figure out the best way to utilize this space !

P.S I finished running the xm9 cables and soldered / shrinked them and mounted the connection brackets. It came out nice ! Now off to san jose

for work ;(

Thanks guys

Claudio

With the interstate 2400's now you're talking 6v batteries so you'll need 2 of them. If you get a Profill automatic battery watering system (highly recommended on 6v batteries) watering and maintining your 6v batteries couldn't be any easier. Just get a gallon of distilled water from the grocery store and give it a couple pumps every month. The automatic watering system will fill to the appropriate levels and won't let you overwater the batteries. With the watering system on them you can tuck them away so they aren't as accessible, just ensure some thought is put onto some sort of ventilation for them. All batteries need some sort of ventilation, they can't be sealed in an air tight box.

Edited by Bobby Light

With the interstate 2400's now you're talking 6v batteries so you'll need 2 of them. If you get a Profill automatic battery watering system (highly recommended on 6v batteries) watering and maintining your 6v batteries couldn't be any easier. Just get a gallon of distilled water from the grocery store and give it a couple pumps every month. The automatic watering system will fill to the appropriate levels and won't let you overwater the batteries. With the watering system on them you can tuck them away so they aren't as accessible, just ensure some thought is put onto some sort of ventilation for them. All batteries need some sort of ventilation, they can't be sealed in an air tight box.

Given the cost of 2 of them and the profile system I think that will definitely be the best route. Also not to mention the reserve on them is much better. I assume 2 of them should be adequate to pound the system a few hours a day if plugged in to recharge every night huh ? Now I need to figure out the best location to put them. Given this new plan I may build the amp rack and battery compartment on the floor and make a "shelf" level with the bottom or top of the observer seat to the front of the compartment. This will also help with the issue of fitting the 3 amps on the left wall / hull. Only issue I can see (which I don't intend on screwing with tuning a lot) is accessing the amps. I really liked your setup and everything is enclosed but not sure I would be able to fabricate a similar setup. I need to get the equipment inside the compartment and play "blocks" and see what fits the best !

Thanks again dude,

Claudio

Given the cost of 2 of them and the profile system I think that will definitely be the best route. Also not to mention the reserve on them is much better. I assume 2 of them should be adequate to pound the system a few hours a day if plugged in to recharge every night huh ? Now I need to figure out the best location to put them. Given this new plan I may build the amp rack and battery compartment on the floor and make a "shelf" level with the bottom or top of the observer seat to the front of the compartment. This will also help with the issue of fitting the 3 amps on the left wall / hull. Only issue I can see (which I don't intend on screwing with tuning a lot) is accessing the amps. I really liked your setup and everything is enclosed but not sure I would be able to fabricate a similar setup. I need to get the equipment inside the compartment and play "blocks" and see what fits the best !

Thanks again dude,

Claudio

Two of those batteries will let you pound your system all day, not just a few hours. I've done it 8+ hours no joke. Yes you will want a good battery charger for these big batteries, I have a ProSport 20 and it works on those big batteries because its distribution on demand so it can give all 20 amps to them.

That's how I did my install but I have 4 amps, did two on the hull side then two flush with the false floor in the storage compartment. I gained a TON of storage. That compartment went from unuseable to where I put all my dry storage. Keep in mind if you do it that way you'll have to install cooling fans, I've got mine in a push/pull configuration and exhausting down the gunnel.

Two of those batteries will let you pound your system all day, not just a few hours. I've done it 8+ hours no joke. Yes you will want a good battery charger for these big batteries, I have a ProSport 20 and it works on those big batteries because its distribution on demand so it can give all 20 amps to them.

That's how I did my install but I have 4 amps, did two on the hull side then two flush with the false floor in the storage compartment. I gained a TON of storage. That compartment went from unuseable to where I put all my dry storage. Keep in mind if you do it that way you'll have to install cooling fans, I've got mine in a push/pull configuration and exhausting down the gunnel.

Yeah I have the same charger so I'm good there. Didn't know they had that kind of time reserver KOOL ! Yeah I think I would have a lot easier time with a false floor and mount them down there with the batteries. I figured the fans would be a concern. Did you use pc cooling fans ? What kind ? Also what did you use for the false floor and is it glued or screwed into the existing floor ? I looked into that filling system and seems like a good idea. Not too expensive either I like it ! I will be posting pics as we go along. I am struggling with the sub box build. Still trying to figure out how to design it properly with a slotted port and if I should side fire into the hull or facing out.

Thanks,

Claudio

Yeah I have the same charger so I'm good there. Didn't know they had that kind of time reserver KOOL ! Yeah I think I would have a lot easier time with a false floor and mount them down there with the batteries. I figured the fans would be a concern. Did you use pc cooling fans ? What kind ? Also what did you use for the false floor and is it glued or screwed into the existing floor ? I looked into that filling system and seems like a good idea. Not too expensive either I like it ! I will be posting pics as we go along. I am struggling with the sub box build. Still trying to figure out how to design it properly with a slotted port and if I should side fire into the hull or facing out.

Thanks,

Claudio

Yeah I used 12v pc fans that were 3-1/2x3-1/2". I got the ones with the most cfm and the most quiet specs I could find. As for the install I basically constructed two amp boxes that hold 2 amps out of birch plywood and resin coated and painted them. I then built a skeleton that they sit on to flush out with the battery box that sits next to. Pm me and I will send you a sketch of what I did. All my pics of the install in progress were on a cell phone I lost at the lake last summer.

So here is the diagram I came up with regarding power distribution. As I understand it there are 2 main cables from the rear of the boat. 1 is the alternator (positive) and other is ground for the system. I have the positive connected only to the starter battery and the dash fuse panel. As for the ground it is connected throughout the system. The HOUSE system is separated using the 2 6v 2400 golf cart batteries in series. I also isolated the 2 systems as the perko may have not been connected correctly and I didn't think I have a need for it. When the boat is turned off I don't want my radio shutting off and then back on to resume play. Please let me know if this makes sense or if the perko is a benefit in this example.

Thanks,

Claudio

post-15729-0-95916300-1332728798_thumb.p

Is this the right one you are talking about ? Or is the Quik Fill the one I need ?

http://www.flow-rite.com/product/2-battery-system

Thanks,

Claudio

Yeah that's the right one, don't forget you have to buy the hand pump as well its not included in the kit.

What did you do to secure the batteries in the enclosure? Are they elevated? I also found I have the

Pro sport 12 2 bank charger. Will that work to charge the 2 6v and 1 12v batts?

Thanks

Claudio

What did you do to secure the batteries in the enclosure? Are they elevated? I also found I have the

Pro sport 12 2 bank charger. Will that work to charge the 2 6v and 1 12v batts?

Thanks

Claudio

I built a battery box and fiberglass resined it like the amp racks. The prosport 12 is to small for the 6v batteries.

If you still need help with the sub box I downsized my first design if you are interested

2.7 cubic ft ported should be close to what you need for that 12 tuned to 33 Hz

can send you the google sketch file

Edited by my malibu

If you still need help with the sub box I downsized my first design if you are interested

2.7 cubic ft ported should be close to what you need for that 12 tuned to 33 Hz

can send you the google sketch file

Don't know if that would work. According to Brian it should be 2.2 but I will definitely check with him. I pm'd you so you could send me the sketch and maybe some pics so I can look further into it.

Thanks,

Claudio

Oops thought you had the big 12

2.2 cubic ft

Port dimensions?

Vented / ported = 2.2 cu with 4" vent dia - 14" long

That was sent to me by Brian for the dimensions.

Thanks

Claudio

So here is my update so far. Some more pics. Got the infrastructure good to go. Just a few adjustments and ready to get the wood coated. Moving along !

Claudio

dsc04309o.th.jpg

dsc04328l.th.jpg

dsc04357i.th.jpg

dsc04349t.th.jpg

dsc04342s.th.jpg

dsc04335fv.th.jpg

dsc04334s.th.jpg

dsc04341m.th.jpg

dsc04348l.th.jpg

dsc04356rk.th.jpg

dsc04355x.th.jpg

dsc04354l.th.jpg

dsc04353s.th.jpg

dsc04352f.th.jpg

dsc04350zi.th.jpg

dsc04343h.th.jpg

dsc04344p.th.jpg

dsc04338o.th.jpg

dsc04339u.th.jpg

dsc04340si.th.jpg

dsc04347w.th.jpg

dsc04346l.th.jpg

dsc04345c.th.jpg

dsc04337uo.th.jpg

dsc04336ks.th.jpg

dsc04329cf.th.jpg

dsc04330d.th.jpg

dsc04331zw.th.jpg

dsc04332my.th.jpg

dsc04333j.th.jpg

Edited by cstk421

Are you going to carpet the panel? If so I would raise the amps off the board another 1/4 in to account for the carpet height

Yeah I actually have 2 spacers and a nut between the amp and the carpet. Thanks for the lookout though. Gotta keep em breathing !

Claudio