Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing An 05 Vlx

Houlegan

Hi all. My first post here so here it goes. I bought an 05 wakesetter VLX at the end of last year and was only able to bring it out a couple times before winter came. I struggled with both size/height and shape of the wake for surfing. I put the wedge down, all tanks full, about 200lbs of fat sacks in the port locker and 2-3 people in the port rear corner seat. Wake is flat and tons of choppy whitewater. Help a boating brother out!!

Thanks everybody,

Mark

Hi all. My first post here so here it goes. I bought an 05 wakesetter VLX at the end of last year and was only able to bring it out a couple times before winter came. I struggled with both size/height and shape of the wake for surfing. I put the wedge down, all tanks full, about 200lbs of fat sacks in the port locker and 2-3 people in the port rear corner seat. Wake is flat and tons of choppy whitewater. Help a boating brother out!!

Thanks everybody,

Mark

You need way more weight then that to create a good wake for surf. At least 750lbs extra in the port locker, add (400lbs) tube sac under the side seating on the port, fill the port stock ballast, mid ship and if you have it, bow ballast. I'd use the wedge for the extra vert on the wake but with this set up you don't have to use the wedge, you want to have a nice, long wake if possible. Hope this helps.

I surfed the same boat with front,center,port and 750 ontop of port hard tank in locker .wedge down,more than enough wave to surf.play with your speed as well to clean it up.

Agree with all of the above. The idea is you need to get your boat to lean over (all weight on surf side and none on other side). Do a search and you'll find a bunch of info on this.

I used to run the 3 tanks full (bow, center and surf side rear) with a 750 on top of the locker a 400 on the side seat and another 400 in the bow and the wedge down.. I still run this weight in my newer VLX...

I may not be running it correct, but I have been a bigger fan with the wedge completely up. I have used about 50% bow, full center, full rear (one side) with a 750lb. bag NO wedge. It seems like the wave is much cleaner without the wedge and the boat has to work half as hard and there is still a ton of room to play on the wake.

The 750 lb sac that's suggested. Does that go inside the port locker? It says inside that there is a 75lb weight limit. Do I put it on top? What holds it down? Does anybody have a reccomendation on a specific make/model of 750lb bag?

Mark

You need way more weight then that to create a good wake for surf. At least 750lbs extra in the port locker, add (400lbs) tube sac under the side seating on the port, fill the port stock ballast, mid ship and if you have it, bow ballast. I'd use the wedge for the extra vert on the wake but with this set up you don't have to use the wedge, you want to have a nice, long wake if possible. Hope this helps.

The 750 lb sac that's suggested. Does that go inside the port locker? It says inside that there is a 75lb weight limit. Do I put it on top? What holds it down? Does anybody have a reccomendation on a specific make/model of 750lb bag? Thanks for your help!!

Mark

I had it plumbed in with the hard tank,once it was full it filled the bag. The bag just sat in the bottom of locker as far as the weight limit I never had any issues.

I could surf with stock ballast and no 750. The weight makes it easier but not entirely required to surf behind this boat.

I had it plumbed in with the hard tank,once it was full it filled the bag. The bag just sat in the bottom of locker as far as the weight limit I never had any issues.

Do you have any pics of how you plumbed it in with your hard tank? Thanks

Edited by Hentz

The 750 lb sac that's suggested. Does that go inside the port locker? It says inside that there is a 75lb weight limit. Do I put it on top? What holds it down? Does anybody have a reccomendation on a specific make/model of 750lb bag? Thanks for your help!!

Mark

Fly High 750lbs, I got mine as the Piggyback System from Wakemakers: http://www.wakemakers.com/piggyback-750-wakesuf-ballast-system.html

this works fine but you'll find it is slow to drain as the sac drains in the hard tank by gravity. Now I will be instaling an extra drain pump and directional valve from Bakes for more convenience.

Dont worry about the weight warning, at 750lbs the floor and engine panel can handle it.....

Get the 1100lb that way you never say I want more and never half to upgrade.

Edited by Bradley Thornton

Get the 1100lb that way you never say I want more and never half to upgrade.

The 1100 lbs doesnt fit as well as the 750. You really need to add support to the engine dividers for this bag... I bought one at the end of the season and used it twice last year and I found thats its too big. I really like how the fill hole is more centralized in the bag. It makes filling and draining a little easier..

• 2 weeks later...

On the 05 (manual locking wedge) I've found that wedge down makes the wave taller, steeper and less deep. Wedge up will lengthen the wave (you can ride further back) but it isn't quite as "extreme."

I've also found that the boat rolls over better with less in the center (MLS) ballast, which makes the wave "cleaner" ie: less whitewash. If I don't have as big of a crew, I leave the MLS center about 50% or less--the wave isn't quite as big, but it has less whitewash.

The other thing I'd check is weight in the bow (a must) and speed. Depending on your weight, current, etc., you'll want to play with speed quite a bit .10 mph can make a big difference in your wave.

750 is ok in that locker, just make sure you have the sub-floor ballast filled first - I haven't had any problems. I like the Fly High from Spencer at Wakemakers, personally. Great, quick service and good prices.