Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Leak (45C 07 Iride)

Hi All,

Please could someone out in malibuworld advise me on a ATF leak I have discovered on my iride, The tranny is a ZF45c direct drive. The leak appears to be from the underneath of the unit, pipes to and from the cooler seem fine and leak free! wondered if someone has had similar problems and can point me in the right direction firstly were to look and secondly on a possible fix

Regards

Dominator :thumbup:

Hi All,

Please could someone out in malibuworld advise me on a ATF leak I have discovered on my iride, The tranny is a ZF45c direct drive. The leak appears to be from the underneath of the unit, pipes to and from the cooler seem fine and leak free! wondered if someone has had similar problems and can point me in the right direction firstly were to look and secondly on a possible fix

Regards

Dominator :thumbup:

I have an '06 iRide, I'm pretty sure it is the same transmission, but I don't have the problem. I thought I would ask though, is it possible that it was overfilled when the fluids were changed? I would imaging the fluid would ooze out and look like it might be leaking from the bottom.

Just a thought.

there is a metal mesh screen which is covered by a metal plate on the bottom of the trans.

not likely able to access the screen without lifting the trans/engine but you may be able to get a wrench on the two bolts that fasten that cover.

if it's loose you may be able to snug it up.

Every wnter I get a little atf in the bilge in my DD. And by a little, I mean a little. Probably no more than a few drops. First time I notice it, it scared the crap out of me. Couldn't find the source anywhere. When the boat is used, no problems. Only in the winter do I have the issue. I keep an eye on fluid levels and no change is noticed. If youfind anything out let me know.

I have an '06 iRide, I'm pretty sure it is the same transmission, but I don't have the problem. I thought I would ask though, is it possible that it was overfilled when the fluids were changed? I would imaging the fluid would ooze out and look like it might be leaking from the bottom.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the advise, agree that overfilling is a no no but my understanding is that it would ooze out of the breather which is on the top of box, I change the ATF every season and having to top up mid season will keep you posted on further investigation..

Every wnter I get a little atf in the bilge in my DD. And by a little, I mean a little. Probably no more than a few drops. First time I notice it, it scared the crap out of me. Couldn't find the source anywhere. When the boat is used, no problems. Only in the winter do I have the issue. I keep an eye on fluid levels and no change is noticed. If youfind anything out let me know.

Thanks lakenut will let you know what i find out...

there is a metal mesh screen which is covered by a metal plate on the bottom of the trans.

not likely able to access the screen without lifting the trans/engine but you may be able to get a wrench on the two bolts that fasten that cover.

if it's loose you may be able to snug it up.

There is a rubber gasket between that plate and the tranny also. The two bolts have a 9/16 hex head, and it is possible to get a box wrench to them. Might need a helper though to get their hands in there from the other side of the engine, especially if you remove the plate.

There is a rubber gasket between that plate and the tranny also. The two bolts have a 9/16 hex head, and it is possible to get a box wrench to them. Might need a helper though to get their hands in there from the other side of the engine, especially if you remove the plate.

Thanks for that will check it out and firstly see if the plate is loose, failing that suppose its a case of removing this plate and replacing the rubber washer and mesh filter. worry is access! and then i sure i will need to remove the whole trannsmission unit is that straight forward or a pain?

Regards

Thanks for that will check it out and firstly see if the plate is loose, failing that suppose its a case of removing this plate and replacing the rubber washer and mesh filter. worry is access! and then i sure i will need to remove the whole trannsmission unit is that straight forward or a pain?

pulling the trans is a job but you probably don't need to go that far. just lift the trans enough to do the job.

• remove 4 bolts from the output shaft flange.
  • a little creative blocking then you can break the front motor mounts loose and remove the rear motor mount s. just loose on those front mounts. you will just rotate the engine/trans on the front motor mounts.
  • jack the tailstock of the trans a few inches (enough for a shallow drain pan) and you should be good to go.
  • you may need to pull the trans fluid lines (at the trans - that run up to the trans cooler at front of engine) but i suspect you won't need to raise the trans that far. i lied about the trans lines. fuel supply line may need to be disconnected.
  • probably a few odds n ends i've overlooked but nothing major.

Edited by tvano

Regards

I have removed the plate 4 times to do a screen inspection and fluid change. If the I-ride is a direct drive, the task is not that hard. There is access room, you just need a second pair of hands from the other side of the motor to put it all back together. I laid a plastic bag under the trans to collect the fluid when removing the plate. Second thru fourth time, I sucked the fluid out of the trans before removing the plate. By the way, the screen was spotless every time. I don't check it any more.

I have removed the plate 4 times to do a screen inspection and fluid change. If the I-ride is a direct drive, the task is not that hard. There is access room, you just need a second pair of hands from the other side of the motor to put it all back together. I laid a plastic bag under the trans to collect the fluid when removing the plate. Second thru fourth time, I sucked the fluid out of the trans before removing the plate. By the way, the screen was spotless every time. I don't check it any more.

i can't guess if vride will have clearance but my 320hp lcr in a response does not have clearance under the trans.