Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maliview Video

Iron gator

Has anyone out there been able to install an aftermarket video camera such as a go-pro, and integrate it into the maliview system?

• 1 month later...

Are you talking like the rope camera Malibu offers as an option?

We've had live video going from an iphone onto my Maliview already... Video on the Maliview is not much different than a video input on a TV, you really just need the proper wires to connect everything and whatever kind of camera you want to have.

Not to jack this thread, but I think the OP was looking for the sa,e thing I am, which is a cool way to mount a camera on the tower somewhere and use maliview to monitor the rider and not spend 2 grand on the flow cam setup. Wakejack looks like it could work, but there may be other mount options. I also need to figure out how to run cables through that G3 tower.

I think it is ok if I respond to the camera part of this question since we don't sell any cameras, and I think I can save you guys some time. Most of the small camcorders (Playsport, Vado, Sony, Flip, etc) do not have live video output. In other words, when they are recording, the video output line shuts down. It is simple to play the video back on Maliview after you film it with just some inexpensive rca patch cords, but you can't live output it.

Go Pro's added firmware over a year ago that allows live video output via cords. The older GoPro's with fixed 170 degree lenses were too wide angle to be great for wakeboarding - at the end of a 70' rope, the wakeboarder is very small in the video field. The newer HD GoPro's do have settings for a 90 degree field of view, which should make them better for wakeboarding, although there is no zoom.

The new GoPro HD has a backpack supposedly coming out in April/May (initially announced for February). The backpack is supposed to let you live video output wirelessly to a cell phone or IPad. Would be cool if this really worked to let you mount a camera and then put an IPad on your dash, but not sure if it will work via bluetooth or over wireless carrier lines? The Contour supposedly also offers some live video output, but I am not sure how that works either.

The Camcorder that I belive Malibu used in their 2010 system was the VIO Pov camcorder, also with a fixed lens. That camcorder offered live video output via wire to a small handheld viewscreen. I am not sure if you could output from the handheld viewscreen to Maliview via rca cables or not, but guessing maybe you could.

Other than those options, I think several larger camcorders (in particular the Canon ones and some of the Sony's) offer live video output. The tradeoffs are cost, size and lack of water resistance.

PM me if you have other questions and I can send you a link to a camcorder comparison chart we did about a year ago. Rob

• 2 months later...

Anyone figure out if there is a camera that can be controlled by the maliview? I want a way to start and stop recording without fumbling with the camera mounted on top of the tower.

• 1 year later...

I use a go pro with the smartphone app for start & stop and preview. The advantage is, my guests on the boat can control the camera.. one thing i don't have to care about ;-). The disadvantage of the gopro is the fixed lenses.. not the best solution for Wakeboarding, but nice for Wakesurfing.

picture