Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Singleaxle To Tandem Axle Conversion

Hello all, I'm new here and looking for my first inboard boat. Ive had a couple of jets and an I/O but have alays appreciated the inboards and am now looking for my next boat. My question is, I have found a couple of promising boats with single axle trailers and one real nice one that has no trailer. The one with no trailer says they might have a single axle to go with it or we could buy a new tandem for $4400. I really want/need a tandem trailer as I would be towing significant distances. Is it possible to convert a single axle trailer to a tandem. Is this realistic financially or just a better idea to get a new tandem axle trailer. Also are most of these trailers on torsion axles or leaf springs? Thanks for the help.

jkendallmsce

Hello all, I'm new here and looking for my first inboard boat. Ive had a couple of jets and an I/O but have alays appreciated the inboards and am now looking for my next boat. My question is, I have found a couple of promising boats with single axle trailers and one real nice one that has no trailer. The one with no trailer says they might have a single axle to go with it or we could buy a new tandem for $4400. I really want/need a tandem trailer as I would be towing significant distances. Is it possible to convert a single axle trailer to a tandem. Is this realistic financially or just a better idea to get a new tandem axle trailer. Also are most of these trailers on torsion axles or leaf springs? Thanks for the help.

Is the tandem axle a personal preference??

A good single axle trailer that is maintained and has the proper rated tires works fine. And 1/2 as many bearings to repack/maintain and 1/2 as many tires to replace. so its a win-win.!!

You may be able to find a used tandem on ebay, ski-it-again.com if that is a dealer breaker.

You did not mention what boat you are looking for. Keep in mind that the older boats were smaller and weighed much less than Malibu's current line of boats.

Edited by jkendallmsce

I take my single axle into the mountains of NC and TN on a ragular basis with no issues. I do maintain my trailer on a regular basis though.

FWIW - I had a fantastic single axle Boatmate under my RLXi but wanted to convert it to tandem. End of the day, it was cheaper to sell it and buy a new tandem trailer. My single axle never let me down after 45,000 miles of pulling.

To be perfectly honest I'm not sure what specific model of boat I'm interested in right now. So far I have looked at a 95 Response, a 93 Sport Nautique, and a 93 Brendella. I am looking for a little older boat for the price point. What I know for sure is it has to be an inboard, and has to be an open bow. Lots of other stuff I would like but not necessarily a deal breaker. I will be using it primarily for skiing and some wakeboarding and maybe surfing. (I know, asking alot for a single boat.)

I know the older boats are smaller and lighter but I guess it really is a preference thing. Both jet boats I had had tandems. My thinking on this one is that for local tows I wouldnt mind the single but I would definitly be travelling a couple times a year and the boat would be behind a fifth wheel trailer. It would give me a lot more piece of mind knowing I had a tandem behind me for those occasions.

I'll take advice on used boats also. I cant wait to get back on the water.