Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'94 Echelon Lx Stereo Overhaul

Michigan boarder

I'm finally getting it started, and have an immediate question.

The old system is just a HU and 4 cabin speakers. The new system is a HU, amp, sub, and 4 cabin speakers. How do I get the RCA wires from the helm to the storage area behind the spotter's seat? Do I go run them along the starboard gunnel, above the back seat and back up the port gunnel? Or do most people run them to the engine compartment and back up?

If you check around your battery in the observer compartment, there should be an access hole for the engine/battery power wires into the ski locker already, then straight back into the engine bay through an existing hole, across behind the pylon to an existing hole for the control cables, and forward to under the helm.

I ran some wires this way already in mine. I also left a dead-at-both-ends fish wire from the engine bay to underthe helm for future use because even with my son helping, it wasn't super awesome to do. Now if needed I can pull more by myself.

Around the front didn't look so good with limited access and keeping the wires out of harm's way while stowing gear under the front seats.

Around the back is really long and would probably require some custom RCAs.

Edited by jk13

If you check around your battery in the observer compartment, there should be an access hole for the engine/battery power wires into the ski locker already, then straight back into the engine bay through an existing hole, across behind the pylon to an existing hole for the control cables, and forward to under the helm.

I ran some wires this way already in mine. I also left a dead-at-both-ends fish wire from the engine bay to underthe helm for future use because even with my son helping, it wasn't super awesome to do. Now if needed I can pull more by myself.

Around the front didn't look so good with limited access and keeping the wires out of harm's way while stowing gear under the front seats.

Around the back is really long and would probably require some custom RCAs.

Yep, saw all of those holes. Didn't think of around the bow. I was hesitant on the engine bay - to - helm thing, can't figure how to do that. I'll take another look. Got the boat in the driveway and a half day off work on this beautiful day.

7th grader just called..."Dad is home? Let's go get slushies!"

Yep, saw all of those holes. Didn't think of around the bow. I was hesitant on the engine bay - to - helm thing, can't figure how to do that. I'll take another look. Got the boat in the driveway and a half day off work on this beautiful day.

7th grader just called..."Dad is home? Let's go get slushies!"

We used a hard metal fish tape with me by the engine bay and my son tucked under the helm with a light. Took a few minutes and some communication, but wasn't too bad. Follow the steering and throttle cables. (They're big and red :biggrin: )

We used a hard metal fish tape with me by the engine bay and my son tucked under the helm with a light. Took a few minutes and some communication, but wasn't too bad. Follow the steering and throttle cables. (They're big and red :biggrin: )

I took another look (after my slushie and bike ride) and I'm going under the bow seats. It's more accessible and I only store fenders and the anchor under there, both of which I hardly use. I'll route my new speaker wires there too, as well as power for the Basslink sub. I'll keep it all tight in some flexible conduit.

Edit: plus I don't have a fish tape.

Edited by Michigan boarder

So I'm installing this:

Alpine CDA-9856 head unit

Boston Acoustics GT-40 amp (behind observer's seat)

Infinity Basslink sub (behind driver's foot well)

4 Polk DB651 speakers.

Does anyone see problems with this wiring set up:

HU - using same wires from original, new inline fuse

HU - 16' RCA cables to amp

Amp - Positive #8 wire (less than 6' to battery)

Amp - Ground #4 wire (less than 12' to engine)

Sub - Positive #10 wire (less than 16' to battery)

Sub - Ground #8 wire (less than 26' to engine)

Speakers - #16 wire (less than 30' to furthest speaker)

I'm not that familiar with your setup but under normal circumstances your power cables seem really long. Granted your not putting in a power monster system but longer than 2 ft on the ground I was told is bad. Hopefully someone will chime in here soon. I'm in the middle of my new install to and it sucks getting stuck while trying to take advantage of the day. Good luck !

Claudio

I'm not that familiar with your setup but under normal circumstances your power cables seem really long. Granted your not putting in a power monster system but longer than 2 ft on the ground I was told is bad. Hopefully someone will chime in here soon. I'm in the middle of my new install to and it sucks getting stuck while trying to take advantage of the day. Good luck !

Claudio

Yeah, I thought so too. Should I not be grounding at the engine? Should I just ground at the battery terminal? That would shorten it all up a LOT.

Yes, ground to the battery. I think I'd do 4awg for the BA amp and 8awg on the basslink. Same gauge on both runs, both powered (fused) and grounded from the stereo battery.

Edited by shawndoggy

Yes, ground to the battery. I think I'd do 4awg for the BA amp and 8awg on the basslink. Same gauge on both runs, both powered (fused) and grounded from the stereo battery.

Thank you!! I recalculated and figured the same as your recommendations off of battery distance. I appreciate the advice.

• 1 month later...

Here are some updated pics. There are 4 bolts that poke thru into the storage area from the bow seat backrest, that's where I'll mount the amp. I'm using this Optix stuff, no HDPE available. It's supposed to be 10x stronger than glass, and not brittle. Got the wiring done, I'll put a fuse in-line after the panel is installed. Should have it all done this weekend. Then onto the sub.

post-8942-0-80311300-1337265200_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-62289100-1337265214_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-91552900-1337265237_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-00321400-1337265480_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-34600000-1337265504_thumb.jp

I removed the speakers that were up under the port gunnel and down by the driver's footwell, and replaced them like this. Also replaced the rear speakers.

post-8942-0-54801600-1337266914_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-75771000-1337266925_thumb.jp

Nice looking echelon!! Did you have the seats redone? It looks nice. I am thinking about upgrade my 94 echelons stereo also. Did you look into putting the front speakers in the dash? Was there a reason you went with the gunnel panels instead (better sound or easier not cutting fiberglass). I am concerened there won't be enough room in my open bow lx to put them in the dash (also a little nervous of cutting the figerglass). I like the idea of the basslink from a space perspective, but will it hold up in the marine enviroment. Sorry for all the questions, I am new to more invloved stereo systems and trying to educate myself some before this project.

Nice looking echelon!! Did you have the seats redone? It looks nice. I am thinking about upgrade my 94 echelons stereo also. Did you look into putting the front speakers in the dash? Was there a reason you went with the gunnel panels instead (better sound or easier not cutting fiberglass). I am concerened there won't be enough room in my open bow lx to put them in the dash (also a little nervous of cutting the figerglass). I like the idea of the basslink from a space perspective, but will it hold up in the marine enviroment. Sorry for all the questions, I am new to more invloved stereo systems and trying to educate myself some before this project.

Yes, I had the interior re-done back in 2009. Thanks for the compliment, we are very happy with it.

There is enough room to put speakers in the dash, but I chose not to because that is where we store shirts, towels, camera, and just stuff in general. The speakers would constantly get covered. But I have seen pics of it being done, so you could definitely do it. The side panels just made the most sense to me.

The Basslink is all plastic, so I think it will be OK. I will be mounting it on another piece of Optix, firing at the wall between the bow and helm, up about 8 or 10 inches off the ground. Should be zero exposure to water.

Yeah, I'm very inexperienced with this stuff and wanted to keep the budget very low, so these options seemed to be the best. The HU and sub I got used off of members on this site, the amp was refurbished and recommended also by this site, and the speakers are new. Total system with wiring is going to cost me about $700.