Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Decal Placement - '02-'05 Response

I just stripped all the decals off my 1999 Response LX. I'm replacing them with the Black/Chrome decals found on the 2002-2005 Response and Response LX. I've noticed in several photos that the "Malibu" side decals are placed a little different than they were on my '99. They appear to sit lower, and slightly further back on the hull than on earlier models. Can anyone verify this for me? For example: when looking at the RH side (starboard/driver side) of my '99, the top-right corner of the "U" on the word "Malibu" is roughly 17 1/8" from the center of the bilge pump outlet (had to "eyeball" it). The bottom edge of the "U" is 1 7/16" from the molded line on the hull, and the botttom edge of the "M" is 2" from that same line. Again, I got these measurements off my 1999 before stripping the decals. I know I'm being a little picky, but if anyone could help me verify these measurements on a 2002, 2003, 2004, or 2005 Response or Repsonse LX, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

Here are some photos of the new decals I'd like to go with:

2002:

2002responseLX-2.jpg

2004:

2004responselx.jpg

2005:

2005responselx.jpg

Sorry I can't help you with any measurements, but I would caution you on using something like the bilge pump outlet as a reference point for any measurements. Those items (along with tank vents, or step pads as examples) are installed free-form and can vary significantly from boat to boat (the starboard step pad on my RLXi is something like 4" further back than the port step pad). You are better off getting the vertical position off the hull lines, then eyeballing the lateral placement.

first let me agree w sunrise.

i'll share a couple hi-res pix so that maybe you can photoshop a scale, using the tape measure in the image, if keystoning doesn't kill that idea.

P1010859.JPG and P1010860.JPG are 5Mb, each, in size and are located here: https://sites.google.com/site/tedvano/

too large to upload to tmc so holler if you have problems and i can email it.

fwiw my 04 response:

the top-right corner of the "U" on the word "Malibu" is roughly 21.5" horizontally from the center of the bilge pump outlet (had to "eyeball" it).

The bottom edge of the "U" is .75" from the molded line on the hull, and the botttom edge of the "M" is the same.

good luck w it.

first let me agree w sunrise.

i'll share a couple hi-res pix so that maybe you can photoshop a scale, using the tape measure in the image, if keystoning doesn't kill that idea.

P1010859.JPG and P1010860.JPG are 5Mb, each, in size and are located here: https://sites.google.com/site/tedvano/

too large to upload to tmc so holler if you have problems and i can email it.

fwiw my 04 response:

the top-right corner of the "U" on the word "Malibu" is roughly 21.5" horizontally from the center of the bilge pump outlet (had to "eyeball" it).

The bottom edge of the "U" is .75" from the molded line on the hull, and the botttom edge of the "M" is the same.

good luck w it.

Thank you for all the valuable information. After pulling a tape measure to my boat and reviewing the photos, I'm starting to wonder if the original "malibu" is exactly 40"W x 8"H as advertised. Can someone verify this? Tvano's photos make them look like they're only 7"H. Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Thank you for all the valuable information. After pulling a tape measure to my boat and reviewing the photos, I'm starting to wonder if the original "malibu" is exactly 40"W x 8"H as advertised. Can someone verify this? Tvano's photos make them look like they're only 7"H. Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

roughly 7.75" x 39"

roughly 7.75" x 39"

THANK YOU!!! I'm having these decals custom made so it's good to have accurate info. I'll try to post pics when I get the whole thing done. Thanks again.

THANK YOU!!! I'm having these decals custom made so it's good to have accurate info. I'll try to post pics when I get the whole thing done. Thanks again.

Are you doing thin vinyl decals? The OEM raised decals are available at Bakes for about $180/side. For that kind of money I'll keep the originals and buy a new ski.

Are you doing thin vinyl decals? The OEM raised decals are available at Bakes for about $180/side. For that kind of money I'll keep the originals and buy a new ski.

I'm doing the Black/Chrome OEM raised/domed decals. Bakes was a little more than I wanted to pay so I'm having "Domed Numbers" make them for me. Should have them next week !!! :)