Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What To Use To Shine Up Racks, Speakers, Etc.

wakesetter8796

The racks and the front of our speakers (both chrome) have spots on them and they aren't shiny. What should I use to shine and clean them to make them look new?

The racks and the front of our speakers (both chrome) have spots on them and they aren't shiny. What should I use to shine and clean them to make them look new?

Mothers metal polish, works awesome.

martinarcher

This sounds crazy, but it works like a champ. Take a dryer sheet and dip it in warm water and go to town on your racks. It soaps up nicely and takes all the spots and bugs right off the racks and tower. Then go over it with a soft cotton rag. Thumbup.gif

This sounds crazy, but it works like a champ. Take a dryer sheet and dip it in warm water and go to town on your racks. It soaps up nicely and takes all the spots and bugs right off the racks and tower. Then go over it with a soft cotton rag. Thumbup.gif

Wow, that does, I might try that first, before spending money.

martinarcher

Wow, that does, I might try that first, before spending money.

LOL.gif Yeah it was something I found on the net. Give it a try and report back. I was amazed how well it worked. Bugs are a total pain to get off and the dryer sheet trick works awesome and shines up the rack in the process plus it costs next to nothing. Thumbup.gif Have fun polishing!

If what you're cleaning is chrome, you can also use crumpled up aluminum and a bowl of water / vinegar / coca cola. I used this on my polished titan tower this weekend and it removed spots and fine scratches like a champ. The tinfoil is softer than chrome and will not scratch your chromed surface. For making in shine I use plain old car wax (just like i use on my hull).

I'll have to give the dryer sheet a go sometime. Cheers.

Being a foil rider, I've used a few different methods to polish aluminum. The most common ones to use when polishing by hand are products like Mothers, Flitz or Extreme. The result is usually pretty good but the shine doesn't last very long though.

If you have access to a hand polisher (about $20 at Harbor Freight), then products like Mothers Billet Polish, or White Diamond do even better, the latter of which is a product developed for polishing the spun aluminum rims on big rigs. I can usually do this job with the foil or rack still assembled, and the job lasts for months.

The best shine comes from a polishing wheel on a bench grinder. We use jeweler's rouge, the brown is more grit, green in the middle, & white for the fine stuff. I usually just do the green & call it good. The rouge has wax in it & the job lasts far longer than the above two methods, and is good for getting out scratches or filing/sanding marks (in case your doing repairs too). But you will have to disassemble the foil or rack or whatever your working on. And be careful you don't get the item caught on the buffing wheel or it will fling it out a few dozen yards :Doh:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

And be careful you don't get the item caught on the buffing wheel or it will fling it out a few dozen yards :Doh:

Hahaha. Just ask Gary and LC about that. Gary was using LC's bench buffer and launched a front wing. Couldn't stop laughing when LC was telling me that story.