Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bring Back Teak Swim Platform

MalibuNation

Does anyone know the best way to bring back a teak swim platform?

Could you upload some pics of your teak to a site like photobucket so we can take a look @ it? If you use our search feature you can find lots of infomation on this including sanding, elbow grease, finishing products. Gotta go!

Usually, on ours, we have a friend do it, but the platform turns out really nice. Have to reapply every year. I think it's some kind of oil that he puts on.

Does anyone know the best way to bring back a teak swim platform?

Yes.

Search 'teak swim platform restoration'. There is a lot of information here and several different options. I'm in the "don't sand" and TeakGuard camp but there are other options that will make you happyy. Here is my project.

Edited by Oberon

I sand and use teak oil finish. Some dont sand and just use teak guard depending on how bad your platform is you may not have a choice aabout sanding. That said however no matter how bad it will come back. As others have said there are a lot of threads on here about refinishing a platform.

martinarcher

I use a product called Starbrite Tropical Teak Sealer. I refinished my platform with the following steps and below are the results. The first pic is the day after the last coat dried. The pic behind the boat is two seasons later with just a re-coat between seasons (no more cleaning or sanding). This stuff really lasts. Thumbup.gif

1. Cleaned deck with two part teak cleaner called TE-KA. This product uses the first part to open the pores in the wood to release dirt (scrub and rinse). The second part closes the pores in the wood. It worked like a champ as my deck was very dirty (black stains) before I started.

2. Sanded clean platform down with a DA electric sander until I was happy - finished with 400 grit hand sand to get all the slots.

3. Applied 3 coats of the Starbrite Tropical Teak Sealer (classic color)

4. After the last coat the deck feels a bit waxy. This is due to excess sealer on top of the deck (I probably put it on a little heavy with my sponge brush). Just wipe the deck down with a clean rag and the excess comes right off and leaves a beautiful color behind (see below).

Happy refinishing. Nothing looks as good as freshly refinished teak! Rockon.gif

Teak3.jpg

DSC03143.jpg

• 2 months later...

I use a product called Starbrite Tropical Teak Sealer. I refinished my platform with the following steps and below are the results. The first pic is the day after the last coat dried. The pic behind the boat is two seasons later with just a re-coat between seasons (no more cleaning or sanding). This stuff really lasts. :thumbup:

1. Cleaned deck with two part teak cleaner called TE-KA. This product uses the first part to open the pores in the wood to release dirt (scrub and rinse). The second part closes the pores in the wood. It worked like a champ as my deck was very dirty (black stains) before I started.

2. Sanded clean platform down with a DA electric sander until I was happy - finished with 400 grit hand sand to get all the slots.

3. Applied 3 coats of the Starbrite Tropical Teak Sealer (classic color)

4. After the last coat the deck feels a bit waxy. This is due to excess sealer on top of the deck (I probably put it on a little heavy with my sponge brush). Just wipe the deck down with a clean rag and the excess comes right off and leaves a beautiful color behind (see below).

Happy refinishing. Nothing looks as good as freshly refinished teak! :rockon:

Teak3.jpg

DSC03143.jpg

Hey Martin, I'm getting to refinish my platform and I was thinking I'd use 100/120 grit instead of the 400 you mentioned. I'm thinking that the 100/120 grit would make it less slippery. Is that a safe assumption on my part?

Thanks

martinarcher

It probably would. It all depends on the finish you want on the deck. The good news is even with a 400 grit finished, the Starbrite Teak Sealer isn't slippery at all.....especially compared to a teak oil finished deck.

It probably would. It all depends on the finish you want on the deck. The good news is even with a 400 grit finished, the Starbrite Teak Sealer isn't slippery at all.....especially compared to a teak oil finished deck.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm planning on using your process as the last time I tried this with teak cleaner/oil, it looked great until we got her in the water and man was it slippery. The water here is pretty hard, not sure if that makes a difference, but I've gotta try something different.

Thanks again!

Mines in good shape after many hours sanding, etc. However, I feel it's too much maintenance for too short a span.

I'd trade mine for a fiberglass one if someone has one that will fit, and wants to trade !

Steve B.