Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Oil Change Pump

Changed oil and impeller today on boat getting it ready for the season and possibly putting it up for sale since I am eyeing a newer one not far from me for sale. I figured I would try one of those oil change pumps that I saw st Wally World (Wat-mart) made by Atwood and hooks to the battery. Well I got one and it did not have enough suction to get it out of the lipstick tube, let alone 1/4 the way up the small tube it came with. I decided to read the instructions then and said oil needed to be warm, so went down the road to the boat ramp, and ran boat on the trailer for a while. Pulled the boat out and still did not help. So I took it back thinking maybe I got a bad one and would try another one. The 2nd one had a little more power but not much, oil made it up about 2/3 up the tube but still not getting it out. So I did it the old fashioned way, drop tube down hull and unscrew cap and let drain.

Anyway, is there a good brand pump that does work? Seems like it would ne so easy to do?

Thanks

rat01, thanks that is kinda like what I had in mind something similar. What size did you get, and have you had any problems out of it or had to find replacement parts?

I think it would make the job a whole lot cleaner!

rat01, thanks that is kinda like what I had in mind something similar. What size did you get, and have you had any problems out of it or had to find replacement parts?

I think it would make the job a whole lot cleaner!

I've got two. Started with the 4 qt version. Upgraded to the larger one so I could empty the engine entirely without

ever having to stop, decant, and restart. My second pump was purchased at West Marine and branded with their label,

but it is virtually identical.

I've been using these, at least the first one, since 2006. No problems with parts [with the exception of watching the

box, containing the extractor hose that I wasn't using , get blown over, releasing its contents down to the bottom of

the lake]. :whistle:

West Marine sells replacement hoses.

on the last boat i owned, i used a pump that attached to the chuck on my drill. simply pull the trigger and watch the oil pump into a jug or bucket.

anybody ever use one on their boats?

if so any feed back compared to the manual pumps?

on the last boat i owned, i used a pump that attached to the chuck on my drill. simply pull the trigger and watch the oil pump into a jug or bucket.

anybody ever use one on their boats?

if so any feed back compared to the manual pumps?

I have used one of these as well. I switched to a manual pump when I got my bu.

Manual pumps are a lot less messy, and seem to get more oil out. It seems that the drill pump doesn't have as much suction.