Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mdf Or Baltic Birch?

old skool malibu

What do you recommend? There is a $50 price difference between the two. Is it worth the extra $50 for the birch? I plan on using a truck bed liner spray to coat the box.

Oldschool - MDF is just fine as long as you do an excellent job of coating it. My personal point of view is spent the extra 50 bucks and ensure yourself no long term problems. What your dealing with is the fact that MDF is literally a sponge if it gets wet. The birch is not. I'm assuming your coating either option, but this is just 50.00 of insurance.

I'd also make sure your using stainless hardware and build a sole into the bottom of the enclosure that lifts it up off the floor. This will cut down on any mold issues that may arise due to taking a roller over the bow. Ya, I know that never happens right? hehe.

-Brian

Thanks Brian. Every box I have had made by my stereo guy is Baltic Birch ..assume there is a reason why as you pointed out. Aside from the obvious duriability of birch is their any notable difference with sound quality?

If you use a spray-on bed liner to coat the enclosure have them apply it thick. This will completely damp the enclosure. Also, a thin internal stiffening brace or two will cut the large surfaces of the enclosure into smaller portions and this serves to further deaden the enclosure resonance. These are not bad techniques to use with any material. Just make sure you use .75" thick stock.

David

old skool,

Nope, it's absolutely not a matter of need with a small box and .75" material in the context of what you are doing. You will be good.

What is interesting though is if you use a stiffening brace into the center of each surface and knock on the surface you will hear a profound difference in the resonance. Technically, any cabinet vibration equates to some degree of lost acoustic energy and coloration. With certain woofers we strongly recommend a 1" baffle. Due to the internal lattice work my 49" tall floor standing speakers have significantly less cabinet resonance than a small pair of 8.5" X 8.5" X 12" satellite speakers I have.

David

You mean 1.3 cu ft?

Yup...thx. Just picked up a 5x5 3/4 sheet..cost $69. Just wish I had the boat here so I could do some measuring and start building but still need the sub as well. Hopefully I get the boat by the end of the month as the Exile shipment arrives!

Oldschool - If you want to be extra trick, double up the face of the enclosure. It's easy to do design wise on a 1.3cu sealed enclosure. Bracing becomes much more important as the box project leaves the sealed 1.x range and climbs into the 2.x or 3.x range. Be your own judge. If there is flex, you have issues to deal with because your loosing energy.

Another tip to keep in mind is to make DAMN sure you have a good seal from the woofer to the outside of the enclosure. People often line the inside corners with caulk etc to prevent leaks, but I can count on 2 hands how many guys last year that I listened to their system and the bass lacked the crispness one would expect from a sealed enclosure. Leaky box. Solution = use a rubber gasket if needed. And don't take your woofer in and out 10 times. Those might sound like remedial tips, but for some they may help.

-Brian

Thanks Brian. I was just thinking about a gasket for the sub. What type of rubber gasket can I purchase that will work well wtih the sub. As for doubling up the face I assume this will ensure there is no flex due to the woofer? Did your new product arrive yet?