Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Manual Versus Floating Wedge

Malibu Mel

Hi there

I recently picked up an 05 V-Ride. Unfortunately it did not come with the wedge however the bracket still remains intact on the boat. Before I replace with a wedge I have located on-line at Bakes, can someone please provide some advice of what I should look for / consider about wedges before I purchase the stock replacement for my boat?

Brian

2007 and up manuals are the "floating" wedge -- which does not float but somehow we started calling it that. It is stainless steel and does not lock in the lower position but rather uses the pitch angle of the foil to hold it down. It is nicer construction all around, looks nicer, and has the benefit of popping up if you hit something (rare). But it but doesn't neccessarily produce better results than the older wedge -- just different. Some say better results for surfing but not as good for boarding... too many other factors involved for side by side comparision IMO, and I've used both kinds.

Prior to 07 the manual wedges are anodized aluminum bracket/foil with nibril struts (I think). They locked in place up or down. Biggest difference is some had 3 screws holding the foil to the struts, vs. 2. 3 is better, but 2 works fine. Some replace the screws with new ones and/or add loctite.

There is a V shaped foil for certain hulls. Not enought coffee this am to recall more on that. Most are flat.

Bottom line -- the wedge is worth it. Just add ballast up front to make it even better.

Edited by rugger

Thank-you for your response. You definitely answered my question about the "floating" vs "manual" wedge concept and why there is a nicer looking bracket on other boats. I will definitely be picking up the wedge for this season. Thanks again for your help.

Brian

Hi, rugger did a nice job explaining it. If you want to learn more do a search. A lot of info about converting to a floating style. I have done this and feel there is a slight improvement in wake. Others feel the improvement was bigger. It certainly looks better. To do the conversion you need the foil and bracket. The hole are the same. Your cheapest route will be just to replace the foil though.

I think you should definitely "upgrade" to the floating wedge. I use the term upgrade loosely, but it was an upgrade to me because I didnt have to d*** around locking it in the down position. This alone made it worth the money to me. The manual wedges did ocasionally have problems with the bolts holding the fin to the arms breaking causing problems. I would side step the whole issue together and have an objectively easier design to operate. Check the link in my sig for replacement notes.

I wish I could remember exactly how much mine cost, but I do at least remember it roughly being around a grand. It's certainly not a cheap upgrade, but IMO was certainly 'worth it'.

They were actually available from a marine shop through ebay when I bought. I wish I could remember who they were but I bet you could get a hold of one through a malibu dealer. Problem is they will probably want to install it for you and that would up the cost. You just want the "parts" (backing bracket, outside chrome "box" bracket, wedge)

Edited by wakeboarder3780