Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Asian Carp

wakeboarder3780

Hey guys I know there was an asian carp thread started by Ndawg a while back with some videos of guys skiing and hitting them with swords and stuff. Perhaps a more serious take, but I guess I'd like to learn from others on here if possible about how these fish effect water sports as we know it.

A couple things I'm curious about if anyone has had experience with them.

A) I am assuming you can't do watersports without fear of being killed (hit in the head by one of these) is this true? In other words does anyone have these in their rivers / lakes and what was the impact?

B) Other than a couple politicians in Illinois does anyone have any local groups that support trying to find a solution for this?

C) People claim there are no natural predators for these fish but I heard that our native fish actually would eat the carp when they're smaller. If we could get a strong enough native population to keep taking out the young, when the old die out we'd never see them again. Does anyone think this could work?

D) What possible serious solutions can you think of to get rid of this threat to our passion?

Man these things really bother me and I wish we could focus on fixing the problem before it gets worse. If these things show up in my lakes I think I'd honestly have to move. I can't live somewhere I can't wakeboard.

Its spreading fast, I know they have caught them in electrical nets that are supposed to help eraticate and stop them from moving. I hope we never get them in our lake it will kill the fun and the entire eco system.

Yep heard the same thing too that they put up electrical nets. Also heard they tested the water for the fishes DNA in the parts that were supposed to be protected and that they've already made it through. Makes sense to me, I mean a fence isn't going to stop everything and eventually they will break down as well.

The good news is I've heard some areas will be protected due to dam height and if I'm not mistaken I think our particular lake will be. I'm not selfish enough to say that I won't care about the issue just because I'm fine though. I wonder how big of a problem it will become. I wonder how far they'll spread before it becomes serious enough to be handled.

Sure wish I could hear from someone that loves water sports and has dealt with them first hand. I've heard some things like fiberglass boats don't cause them to jump like aluminum shiny boats do. Curious if there is truth in that. Curious what the impact has been overall for someone who's gone through it.

I've heard some things like fiberglass boats don't cause them to jump like aluminum shiny boats do. Curious if there is truth in that.

I've heard it's the higher pitch of the outboard motors, rather than the low rumble of an inboard.