Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Windshield Removal For Xs 650's

Shaboy6

Hey guys I have a 98 response lx, Im going to be putting some wetsounds Xs 650's in my boat. I need to remove the windshield to do the front dash speakers.im wondering how much of a p.i.t.a. This is, anybody.

It should not be that hard.

My suggestion would be that put some blue tape on the lower portion where the srews go into the boat, this will prevent you scratching up the windshield with a drill or screw driver. Not sure if you have screws or nuts and bolts holding the winshield on. Undo all of them an remove the windshield in one solid piece.

When you reinstall, I would suggest that you put a new gasket b/t the bottom on the frame and the boat, this is simple black foam weatherstripping you can get an HD, Lowes or any Hardware Store and also go back with nuts and bolts to fasten the windshield to the boat.

It is not hard at all, but you will want to take your time to make sure that you don't damage the boat or the windshield.

I just changed my dash speakers and it was pretty easy to remove the windsheild. The onty problem I had was I didnt realise that 3 of the screws were through bolted and I broke off a couple of them. Once I figured that out the second side was a breeze to take off. We just reinstalled the rubber trim when we were done.

Thanks guys got the winshield out last night. I'm going to 6.5's from 5 1/4's. Im not sure what to go with now that I see earmark has exiles 6.5's and exiles 800x4 amp for a bit cheaper then wetsounds 6.5's and an arc amp. My question is how would exiles setup compare to wetsounds and the arc setup. I have wetsounds 3 some with syn 6 on my tower. I want a efficient amp and I'm not sure what the better route would be. Thanks

Theyre both going to sound great,i would stay with wetsounds since thats what you have on the tower. I have exile now but had wetsounds in the past, both great speakers.

I'm sure I would be happy with either like you say.It would be nice to have wetsounds throughout the boat but exiles price is pretty sweet. But how would the exile amp compare to the arc amps.thats where I'm not really sure which way to go.

I'm sure I would be happy with either like you say.It would be nice to have wetsounds throughout the boat but exiles price is pretty sweet. But how would the exile amp compare to the arc amps.thats where I'm not really sure which way to go.

The Arc Amp is one of the best amps out there for the cost. I really would not get too into A/B versus G/H since you already have an A/B in your boat (Syn 6).

So stick with a wetsounds amp or arc then right.does anyone know the dimension's of the exile 6.5's.I checked there site but couldn't find anything

So stick with a wetsounds amp or arc then right.does anyone know the dimension's of the exile 6.5's.I checked there site but couldn't find anything

For the extra 150 bucks - it would sure be nice to have similar WS amps.

You do know that certain Audio Dealers offer a MalibuCrew Discount for members - great way to save money and help out a vendor.

For the extra 150 bucks - it would sure be nice to have similar WS amps.

You do know that certain Audio Dealers offer a MalibuCrew Discount for members - great way to save money and help out a vendor.

Yes it would be nice to have wetsounds amps but I was told the arcs are the same thing just don't have coated boards and don't have the shiny facing.am I wrong?

As far as members getting discounts where do I find these vendors?

Yes it would be nice to have wetsounds amps but I was told the arcs are the same thing just don't have coated boards and don't have the shiny facing.am I wrong?

As far as members getting discounts where do I find these vendors?

The Wetsounds amps have a little more than that. The shroud is stainless steel versus the Arc amps which have a black primer coat on them, they WS amps are sooooo much better looking. The WS amps are also conformally coated on the boards which make them more water resistant than the Arc Amps.

You would need to join the Malibucrew in order to get the discount - it is 25 bucks which get's you discounts at most of the vendors stores. If you go to the forum labeled crew discounts - you can find those dealers in there.

Which reminds me - I need to re-up as well.

My syn 6 looks pretty sweet I will give em that but if I had to do it over again I would run 2 arcs to power my 3some and save a few hundred bucks.

No problem, thanks everyone for the replies,I Think I'm going with the exiles and the arc ks 300.4. I need to get this thing finished its going to warm soon here in Cali

• 4 months later...

About to put my xs 650 in this weekend. So it's as easy as removing the windshield frame with glass to get them in there? Some threads seem to say just pull the glass?

I would remove the whole windshield...all frame and glass.

This way you can leave it all together. Those gaskets in the frame getting hard to work with after years of UV exposre.

Ya remove the whole windshield, I don't know what boat you have but I can take my window completely out in about 10 min in my 98 response. Not hard to do at all, go for it

I used to have a 98 sunsetter so I an familiar with what you are talking about.

14 year old gasket material does funny things in the sun over time....that is my only concern about remove the whole deal.

I have done it both ways - i'd rather pull the whole thing.

Well thanks for the advice.

Pulled off the windshield today and put the xs 650 in. It came off like everyone said. Removed the weather strip on the lower outside then removed the screws and two machine screws with nuts in the inside. Fairly easy.

Passenger side speaker went in easy, just had to trim the vinyl and plastic a bit. On the driver side it was s pita. Malibu mounted the speaker offset from the hole cut out in the fiberglass below so it took a lot of hacking to get the 650 In.

Then right when I was done I poke a tiny hole in the rubber diaphragm on the speaker. Looks to be ok but made me sd :(

Pulled off the windshield today and put the xs 650 in. It came off like everyone said. Removed the weather strip on the lower outside then removed the screws and two machine screws with nuts in the inside. Fairly easy.

Passenger side speaker went in easy, just had to trim the vinyl and plastic a bit. On the driver side it was s pita. Malibu mounted the speaker offset from the hole cut out in the fiberglass below so it took a lot of hacking to get the 650 In.

Then right when I was done I poke a tiny hole in the rubber diaphragm on the speaker. Looks to be ok but made me sd :(

Glad you got it done . That sucks about the hole, I've done it before it sucks

I was up under my dash installing LED's and I noticed my Malibu was the same thing.. Anyone know why the hole is offset??

Only reason I cn think of is poor craftsman ship or a jig template that was made incorrectly. Mine was especially a pain because my speaker is now right near the engine air intake. I had to cut my hole along the intake without cutting into it.