Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Onboard Battery Chargers?

kayakwv

Is it worth it to have an inboard batt charger to plug em in when in the garage. I have two batt with perko switch. This is my first winterization season and kinda worrying about battery charge after 4mo. I did turn off the battery perko switch, but didn't use a trickle charger.

Edited by kayakwv

I would say yes. I would also pickup a relay then you never have to touch the switch again ether.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1517

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1424 Some people will say get the 20 I say how big is your radio system.

2012-02-28110000.jpg

2012-02-28105945.jpg

Edited by Bradley Thornton

Is it worth it to have an inboard batt charger to plug em in when in the garage. I have two batt with perko switch. This is my first winterization season and kinda worrying about battery charge after 4mo. I did turn off the battery perko switch, but didn't use a trickle charger.

To take this one step further - I think it is necessary to keep your batteries on a charger at all times when not on the water. As batteries losw their charge, they dvelop sulfur on the internal lead plates which takes away from the performance and longevity of the battery.

Keeping them at a 13.3 volt float charge at all times will keep them in the best shape possible.

This was how I charged my Optimas for years and they are just now starting to show signs on wear and need to be replaced. Batteries lasted since 2005.

I would say yes. I would also pickup a relay then you never have to touch the switch again ether.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1517

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1424 Some people will say get the 20 I say how big is your radio system.

2012-02-28110000.jpg

2012-02-28105945.jpg

I got the Prosport 8 charger.... is there any difference in performance or just time to charge?

Thanks.

To take this one step further - I think it is necessary to keep your batteries on a charger at all times when not on the water. As batteries losw their charge, they dvelop sulfur on the internal lead plates which takes away from the performance and longevity of the battery.

Keeping them at a 13.3 volt float charge at all times will keep them in the best shape possible.

This was how I charged my Optimas for years and they are just now starting to show signs on wear and need to be replaced. Batteries lasted since 2005.

I originally planned to us the charger during winter only but my Malibu dealer recommended using it all year to lengthen the life of the Optimas.

IMG_3032.jpg

I originally planned to us the charger during winter only but my Malibu dealer recommended using it all year to lengthen the life of the Optimas.

IMG_3032.jpg

You have a very wise dealer!!! Plus you don't want to show up one day to the lake with a dead battery - that little one in your profile picture would be dissapointed if she didn't get her day on the water.

Edited by Murphy8166

You have a very wise dealer!!! Plus you don't want to show up one day to the lake with a dead battery - that little one in your profile picture would be dissapointed if she didn't get her day on the water.

Agreed - I can't disappoint the grand-daughter!! :lol:

I have the Guest Dual Bank, the Perko switch & a pair of wet DieHards (1 starter, 1 deep cycle). Going on 3 yrs now. I plug in the charger anytime the boat is near the house (which is all winter & not very often in the summer).

Lookin forward to the day I can say 7 yrs like Murphy! :rockon:

I have the Guest Dual Bank, the Perko switch & a pair of wet DieHards (1 starter, 1 deep cycle). Going on 3 yrs now. I plug in the charger anytime the boat is near the house (which is all winter & not very often in the summer).

Lookin forward to the day I can say 7 yrs like Murphy! :rockon:

Ha! - The sad thing is that Optima know makes that thier battery in Mexico and the Quality has gone way down. They even reduced the warranty period. But the price keeps goin up!