Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slingshot Board

mikeyg

Got in a couple of sets this afternoon. First of the season but was disappointed because I had just bought the Slingshot Hooke and one of my bindings kept sliding in the "Fastrack" mounting system. Couldnt tighten the bolts enough to where it wouldn't slide. By the end of the set it had slid to the max outside setting. I'm really bummed out because I like the board, but the mounting system blows. Bolt holes are fine. Why couldnt they leave it at that? Tomorrow I'm returning the board - as much as I'd like to keep it, I don't want to have to worry about injuring myself.

Maybe the bolts are a bit too long? I remember when forum snowboards first came out with that system and ppl were blowing their knees out becuase of the same problem. Its nice to have a wider range of stances but I still dont trust those things.

That's a bummer to hear. I really want to upgrade my 07 slingshot to a '12, but can't demo SS around here and keep hearing about fastrack issues.

The 2012 slings were supposed to have a completely revamped fastrack mount that was beefier to solve slipping and fastrack ripping out. Did the mounting screws also change?

Edited by augie09

Oh man. This is not good news. I just sold my 08 and 09 recoils to upgrade to this years models. :(

Maybe time to look to another manufacturer until Slingshot gets the issue fixed...

I had problems last year with the fast track system on my '11 response. I couldn't stop my front boot from stop sliding out. I actually like the maxed out stance though, so I'm not returning it.

I am using '09 Liquid Force bindings and the bolts are too long, so I used washers for spacing. I always figured that was the problem. Are you using Slingshot bindings?

Edited by Bu hoo

Got in a couple of sets this afternoon. First of the season but was disappointed because I had just bought the Slingshot Hooke and one of my bindings kept sliding in the "Fastrack" mounting system. Couldnt tighten the bolts enough to where it wouldn't slide. By the end of the set it had slid to the max outside setting. I'm really bummed out because I like the board, but the mounting system blows. Bolt holes are fine. Why couldnt they leave it at that? Tomorrow I'm returning the board - as much as I'd like to keep it, I don't want to have to worry about injuring myself.

Is it a 2012 or 2011, the 11's had tons of issues that they have since fixed in the 2012 models

Is Slingshot doing anything for folks with '11 boards?

i think you can warranty it if you have issues. Don't think there is much they can do since the tracks are imbedded

It's a 2012 Hooke. I have 2011 Ronix Relik bindings on them. Went back to the retailer and he tightened 'em down with a Dewalt. I didnt want to do that for fear of breaking something on the board. The local retailer has always backed what they sell. I've dealt with them for years and never had a problem bringing something back. I'll try it again this weekend and if it still slides out, I will swap it out for the same board. If that one has the same issue, I'll be getting a LF S4.

i think you can warranty it if you have issues. Don't think there is much they can do since the tracks are imbedded

I contacted Customer Support this morning and was immediately contacted. I feel that I need to spread the word of how great Slingshot has been. Below is the my email transaction with them. You can't beat this type of Customer Service! :thumbup:

Message History

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday , March 16, 2012 09:18 am PDT (GMT-07:00)

Subject: '11 Response fast track problems.

I bought the '11 Response 142 towards the end of last summer. I couldn't seem to prevent my bindings from slipping. I tried tightening them as much as possible, but ended up just riding the board with the stance maxed out.

Am I doing something wrong? What is the best way to lock the boots into position?

I LOVE the board, but I feel a little sketchy about the boots sliding.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Update for Case #23879 - "'11 Response fast track problems."

Hi Jeremy,

Good to hear you're loving the Response.

What bindings are you using? The only issue you could be having is that perhaps you'll need to add extra washers under the acorn nut, as they could be bottoming out before fully secure.

Regards,

Slingshot Wake

Me

11:34 AM (3 hours ago)

to Slingshot

Wow, that was a fast response! Thanks for that!

I am using Liquid Force bindings, so I suspect that Slingshot boots would perform better. I did use washers to prevent the bolt from bottoming out.

I was just checking to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong or missing a piece.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

We work hard to support our customers.

Of course you'll get the best performance with the Slingshot boots, and we'd recommend them, but is sounds like you're doing everything correctly with yours. Not sure what else the issue could be. The only other cases we've had like this were due to not actually getting the nut completely tightened.

For 2012, due to quality and supply issues with the silver/chrome nuts, we've decided to make a mid-season switch to a new wing nut. It's actually similar to what was standard on wake bindings/boots nearly a decade ago, however, it's now tool-less, which has been an overwhelming request from our customers, and also features an internal locking ring. The locking ring makes it a bit difficult to tighten at first, but once fully threaded down the wing nuts will not come loose. Perhaps this hardware will work better for you...?

Give us your address, if you'd like, and we'll send a set out.

Slingshot Wake

Guys I'm baffled. I've ridden 3 different 2011 boards and never had an issue with the fast track and I ride pretty hard (I'm a big boy and take lots of crashes, do inverts, etc). Knowing how the system works I dont understand how it can't work, like the rep said, all you have to do is wrench them down tight and off you go. If I were you I'd simply buy a nylon locknut that fits the thread of their bolt inserts. You can even slide out the bolt insert and bring it into the store with you. Get the right size and thread (ask a hardware guy standing around to help if you aren't sure) and take a wrench to the the things when you tighten them. It will cost you less than a dollar and you will be guaranteed that you have them tight because there is no chance of bottoming out AND you're using a wrench to tighten them. I think you'd be hard pressed to have slipping issues if you went that route.

Tooless also means you can't tighten down the mounts with a tool. IMO tool-less is a much worse solution than a design requiring a tool to tighten it. I don't get why they're getting so many responses for tool-less are we really so lazy today we can't be bothered to carry a TOOL around with us on the boat? Do we really WANT a system that can only be finger tightened? I don't get it...

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Guys I'm baffled. I've ridden 3 different 2011 boards and never had an issue with the fast track and I ride pretty hard (I'm a big boy and take lots of crashes, do inverts, etc). Knowing how the system works I dont understand how it can't work, like the rep said, all you have to do is wrench them down tight and off you go. If I were you I'd simply buy a nylon locknut that fits the thread of their bolt inserts. You can even slide out the bolt insert and bring it into the store with you. Get the right size and thread (ask a hardware guy standing around to help if you aren't sure) and take a wrench to the the things when you tighten them. It will cost you less than a dollar and you will be guaranteed that you have them tight because there is no chance of bottoming out AND you're using a wrench to tighten them. I think you'd be hard pressed to have slipping issues if you went that route.

Tooless also means you can't tighten down the mounts with a tool. IMO tool-less is a much worse solution than a design requiring a tool to tighten it. I don't get why they're getting so many responses for tool-less are we really so lazy today we can't be bothered to carry a TOOL around with us on the boat? Do we really WANT a system that can only be finger tightened? I don't get it...

I don't know what to tell you. The bolts that came with my board do not allow for a wrench to tighten them. Mine came with the same ones as in this Slingshot video. Slingshot They can only be tightened with a screwdriver. I tightened them as tight as I could with a drill and still had a sliding issue.

Gonna try that out tomorrow. It's 1/4".

I contacted Customer Support this morning and was immediately contacted. I feel that I need to spread the word of how great Slingshot has been. Below is the my email transaction with them. You can't beat this type of Customer Service! :thumbup:

Message History

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday , March 16, 2012 09:18 am PDT (GMT-07:00)

Subject: '11 Response fast track problems.

I bought the '11 Response 142 towards the end of last summer. I couldn't seem to prevent my bindings from slipping. I tried tightening them as much as possible, but ended up just riding the board with the stance maxed out.

Am I doing something wrong? What is the best way to lock the boots into position?

I LOVE the board, but I feel a little sketchy about the boots sliding.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Good to hear you're loving the Response.

What bindings are you using? The only issue you could be having is that perhaps you'll need to add extra washers under the acorn nut, as they could be bottoming out before fully secure.

Regards,

Slingshot Wake

Me

11:34 AM (3 hours ago)

to Slingshot

Wow, that was a fast response! Thanks for that!

I am using Liquid Force bindings, so I suspect that Slingshot boots would perform better. I did use washers to prevent the bolt from bottoming out.

I was just checking to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong or missing a piece.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

We work hard to support our customers.

Of course you'll get the best performance with the Slingshot boots, and we'd recommend them, but is sounds like you're doing everything correctly with yours. Not sure what else the issue could be. The only other cases we've had like this were due to not actually getting the nut completely tightened.

For 2012, due to quality and supply issues with the silver/chrome nuts, we've decided to make a mid-season switch to a new wing nut. It's actually similar to what was standard on wake bindings/boots nearly a decade ago, however, it's now tool-less, which has been an overwhelming request from our customers, and also features an internal locking ring. The locking ring makes it a bit difficult to tighten at first, but once fully threaded down the wing nuts will not come loose. Perhaps this hardware will work better for you...?

Give us your address, if you'd like, and we'll send a set out.

Slingshot Wake

I will second their kickass customer service. Those guys just hooked me up big time. I was going to make a whole separate post about it... :rockon:

I have been behind my boat twice with the Lyman now. So far its an amazing board. Some of the guys in my crew didn't like it but hey...thats why they make more than one brand/style of board! I came from a 2011 recoil and couldn't be happier with the transition although they are completely different. I had no problems with the 2011 fasttrack. The 2012 is much better though. I still have a lot of riding to do to get a true feel for the board. I had a chance to spend time with Josh Hammons(rep for slingshot) and Jeff House(long time slingshot pro rider) at the knoxville boat show and those guys spent so much time actually "engaged" in conversation with us about all their thoughts on the different boards. You could tell they knew and loved the brand. I was already a customer but they made me a believer.

I have been behind my boat twice with the Lyman now. So far its an amazing board. Some of the guys in my crew didn't like it but hey...thats why they make more than one brand/style of board! I came from a 2011 recoil and couldn't be happier with the transition although they are completely different. I had no problems with the 2011 fasttrack. The 2012 is much better though. I still have a lot of riding to do to get a true feel for the board. I had a chance to spend time with Josh Hammons(rep for slingshot) and Jeff House(long time slingshot pro rider) at the knoxville boat show and those guys spent so much time actually "engaged" in conversation with us about all their thoughts on the different boards. You could tell they knew and loved the brand. I was already a customer but they made me a believer.

I bought the board from Bakes. This will be my first experience with SS. It sounds like they have it together from making good boards to customer service!