Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Ramp Fill Material

WoodyBC

Our private launch needs some maintenance. It has cement slabs up to the water line, then it drops off gradually. Last year we put 16 yards of 1-2 inch crushed limestone in to fill a major hole at the end of the launch. It dropped off really quick and into muck. The limestone did a good job filling the hole, but now when we back loaded trailers over it, the rocks move and the trailer tires sink into the rocks as they are pushed away. This causes the axle, and bottom of the trailer to get scraped up and leaves ruts in the launch. I'm thinking we need to put some finer crushed material on top of the rocks we installed last year to "lock it all together".

Can anyone suggest a material or how to go about fixing this issue.

Thanks,

Woody

MalibuNation

That's what I was thinking ... maybe small paver stones ... not so kind on the bare feet though. Our launch has a little larger stones than yours and sand.

My next door neighber runs a gravel pit ... will ask for suggestions.

You need to put in larger stones first let them push into the mud then cap over that with the smaller stones.

Something like this-

4-6 quary spalls 4-6 " thick not nice to drive on.

2-4 Quary spalls 4" thick ok to drive on once flat

1-2 crushed rock mixed 50/50 with sand on top 4" thick

This will give you a good foundation and should stay flat as long as people don`t power load.

FYI this is how we build temp roads in realy soft mud for semi trucks.

Ok excellent. Thats what I was thinking, but didn't realize we should put a sand mix with it. Makes sense. Sand will filter down into the cracks and fill voids to keep the rocks from shifting.

Appreciate it.

Woody

liljohn is right on this, Woody. In our area, I would recommend that you use the following available aggregate.

Crushed Concrete or limestone (crushed concrete should be MUCH less expensive) in 1-3" size. Depending on the depth of the hole, I would look at 12-18" of this material. Cap this with 21AA sized crushed concrete or limestone with no fines, approximately 10-12" thick.. Then, cap that with 21AA limestone with fines mixed in at a depth of 6", then cap that with crushed limestone fines at a depth of 4-6". This should solve the problem for you. Crushed limestone fines will not drain and will be less likely to wash out easily unless you have lots of people power loading. This is particularly the case when starting with the larger aggregate first as the "foundation", if you will, followed up with smaller aggregate. Limestone fines are essentially the smaller, nearly sand size particles of limestone that are generated during the crushing process.

Good luck!

Does the DEQ have any say in this plan? In my neck of the (also Michigan) woods they would fine you, take you to jail, confiscate your property, and sacrifice your first born for such a plan.

Does the DEQ have any say in this plan? In my neck of the (also Michigan) woods they would fine you, take you to jail, confiscate your property, and sacrifice your first born for such a plan.

This could not be any more true. Where I live you need a joint permit from MDNREQ and the Army Corps of Engineers because our lakei is tied to a river that carries the Federal Natural River title. The application fee alone is $500.

Our private launch needs some maintenance. It has cement slabs up to the water line, then it drops off gradually. Last year we put 16 yards of 1-2 inch crushed limestone in to fill a major hole at the end of the launch. It dropped off really quick and into muck. The limestone did a good job filling the hole, but now when we back loaded trailers over it, the rocks move and the trailer tires sink into the rocks as they are pushed away. This causes the axle, and bottom of the trailer to get scraped up and leaves ruts in the launch. I'm thinking we need to put some finer crushed material on top of the rocks we installed last year to "lock it all together".

Can anyone suggest a material or how to go about fixing this issue.

Thanks,

Woody

How about extending the concrete slab? Pour a slab on top of the existing slab and when it has cured enough, slide it into the water.