Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat Order

Brent Wall

After much research and debate, I am ordering a new VLX tomorrow. One would think that means I have every necessary decision made. Unfortunately, this is not the case. I still need to make a final decision on colors and I'm still considering what to do on a couple of options.

For colors, here are the prime contenders:

post-8878-0-35905100-1331782583_thumb.jp post-8878-0-64449900-1331782643_thumb.jp

I have declared this the "classy versus flashy" debate. As always, I welcome the feedback from the crew.

The main option that I am still debating is whether to order a spare tire mount and/or a spare tire. As I looked through my collection of Malibu boat pictures, I noticed that many of the trailers do not have a spare. If I order a spare tire mount, I'm inclined to order the under hull one as I don't like the looks of the side mount ones. What is the advice of the crew? How do the folks that don't have a spare handle a flat?

Edited by Brent Wall

Red, but I am biased... I also have grey on my boat which I would never do again as all the gel coat guys say it's a pain to blend that color.

My spare is a $80 white steel rim job + a black cover. I don't have custom rims so this made the most sense to me. Is the spare mount an option on the trailers?

Edited by JTech

Both those colors look great. What coor rig are you towing with?

I was originally wanting a dark colored hull but ended up buying a boat the dealer was carrying in stock. As it turns out I love the lighter colors now. But if ordering new I would have a hard time not getting part of the hull in metal flake, maybe a blue with silver metal flake.

If you are traveling any distance I would definitely get the spare. I have the spare that mounts under the hull and you can't really see it when the boat is on the trailer.

I would take my time making sure to get exactly what you want.

Good luck!

Kris

My vote is red. And for good measure I'll even offer up some of the red designs I was considering.

2010_malibu_wakesetter_vlx.jpg

309504_10150296391924659_678324658_7671398_748814_n.jpg

And if you are really interested in something flashy, check this out. I almost threw all caution to wind and picked this. Drop dead sexy.

100750757_1thumb_550x410.jpg

Edited by IXFE

I'd go with the gray. My old boat was black and red and, as I looked down my cove, so was nearly every other boat. I went with blue and white on the new boat just to change it up a little.

I'd go with classy. My color scheme is similar to the tan/black, but I added a sangria accent stripe to give some color. No regrets at all, I get more compliments than I can handle. But I'm a father of 5 in my mid 30's so flashy isn't my style!

Both those colors look great. What coor rig are you towing with?

I was originally wanting a dark colored hull but ended up buying a boat the dealer was carrying in stock. As it turns out I love the lighter colors now. But if ordering new I would have a hard time not getting part of the hull in metal flake, maybe a blue with silver metal flake.

If you are traveling any distance I would definitely get the spare. I have the spare that mounts under the hull and you can't really see it when the boat is on the trailer.

I would take my time making sure to get exactly what you want.

Good luck!

Kris

I'm towing with a grey Lexus GX470. I think either boat would look good behind it.

We are only a couple of miles from the lake so normally our towing is minimal. However, a couple of times a year we tow the boat for a hundred miles or more. I'm inclined to order the under hull mount.

Edited by Brent Wall

Thanks for all the feedback. I didn't get the boat ordered today so I have one more night to contemplate it. At first, it looked like Red was going to be the clear winner here but I'm glad the Black & Driftwood fans stepped up so that I could continue to be confused and indecisive. LOL.gif

The black and drift wood combo adds so much to the overall design. The shadow lines that it produces and the color palate just blends very well. The black accent just creates a nice distinction...

Red has my vote as well........but i'm somewhat partial to it :biggrin: If you really want to clean it up, take the graphics off like I did.

IMG_4245.jpg

I vote black and driftwood. I definitely lean towards the clean, classic lighter colors. I like how they look on the water and how much easier they are to maintaine. I am also 40 years old, don't care for bling wheels on any vehicle or trailer, it looks ghetto to me. Twenty years ago I might have thought it was cool.

Good luck with your color, either way its going to look great!

Edited by Fman

I really sympathize with you....I just went through the same process. I found a really nice Driftwood/black/white leftover VLX and was very close to pulling the trigger. I really liked the color combo. However, my kids just didn't warm up to the 'tan' color. So, we ordered a new blue/white VLX. Ours will be arriving mid-may (I'll post pics).

Good luck with your choice....I'm sure you will be happy either way :)

I vote black and driftwood. I definitely lean towards the clean, classic lighter colors. I like how they look on the water and how much easier they are to maintaine. I am also 40 years old, don't care for bling wheels on any vehicle or trailer, it looks ghetto to me. Twenty years ago I might have thought it was cool.

Good luck with your color, either way its going to look great!

I am also biased toward this color combo. :)

DSC_9731.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

9aae0b50.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

dealersite_images_thesportingedge_vp1508195_10_large.jpg

You will end up,liking whatever you have as the boat is great looking in "almost" ant color combo.

I also went lighter, Charcoal Grey/White combo.... the only regret I have is not getting the metal flake charcoal, it would have really popped with the white. I really like the driftwood/black/white combo you ended up with, sharp looking boat Kris.

VLX_3.jpg

IMG_7608.jpg

Edited by Fman

I also went lighter, Charcoal Grey/White combo.... the only regret I have is not getting the metal flake charcoal, it would have really popped with the white. I really like the driftwood/black/white combo you ended up with, sharp looking boat Kris.

VLX_3.jpg

IMG_7608.jpg

Oh, I know that lake… :) I see ya sportn’ the wakejak. The metal flake a couple of years ago would have been....hey who brought the 70's back...lol imho it goes really well in certain color combos.

I ordered the new boat today. Unfortunately, I can't tell everyone what I ordered. It's a surprise for my kids and they are lurkers on this forum. LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif

OK. You guys didn't seriously think I would hold out on my fellow crew members, did you? My previous post was solely intended to antagonize my kids. That mission has been accomplished LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif so now I can give everyone an update.

I spent several hours at the dealership this afternoon. It's much easier to think about boat decisions there versus looking at brochures and pictures at home. The first key decision I made was to get a 23 LSV instead of a VLX. Then, I figured out how to be "classy and flashy" as wakebrdr94 suggested. My kids wanted something with more color than the black & driftwood combo but I didn't want something quite as bold as the red and charcoal combo.

After looking at every boat at the dealership and blending a couple of the color concepts, here is what I came up with:

post-8878-0-94667400-1332822940_thumb.jp post-8878-0-67295700-1332822956_thumb.jp post-8878-0-74133200-1332823636_thumb.jp

Edited by Brent Wall

Your going to love the LSV! The extra space is a great thing without giving up much on the wake. Yellow isn't my first choice, but a new boat is!! Congrats!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk